mtbr member
    Nov 2005

XTR 985 RACE tubeless wheelset sale, not that popular?

Is it the centerlock rotor?
    The QR rear wheel?
    15mm t/a?

Weight is claimed 1507 grams. No rim tape.
    2011 Shimano XTR Race WH-M985 15mm Thru Wheelset - Competitive Cyclist

And the price is pretty good, but I don't see any on the trail nor not a lot of comments.
    Last edited by westin; 03-21-2012 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Look at the original selling price and it tells the story. Also you have a highly proprietary wheel set. Spokes, hubs, and rims are only available from Shimano, and most shops simply don't carry spares, too expensive, replacement spokes for that wheelset run about $4 each. And the center lock hubs likely have a little bit to do with it as well. There still aren't that many companies out there that offer center lock brake rotors. Six bolt are still more common.

I think they'd be a great Race Day only wheel for the right rider. But put the factors above together and you can see why folks aren't tripping over themselves to get a set even a $500 a pop.

Just my thoughts.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Squash hit many points. For reference, my 29er race wheelset weighs 100 grams less than this 26" XTR wheelset, retails for $500 less, and the inside width of the rim is larger than the outside width of the XTR wheelset.

The XTR wheelset simply doesn't have much going for it. At $550, though, it's not bad. I'd still rather have a $450 Stan's Crest/ZTR wheelset.

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Is it the centerlock rotor?
    The QR rear wheel?
    15mm t/a?

Weight is claimed 1507 grams. No rim tape.
    2011 Shimano XTR Race WH-M985 15mm Thru Wheelset - Competitive Cyclist

And the price is pretty good, but I don't see any on the trail nor not a lot of comments.
    I actually jumped on the XTR Trail wheelset they offer for the same price, and I'm quite happy with them!

My reason for going with these wheels was:

-I like XTR Hubs, they are very well built and I like being able to repack the bearings instead of having to buy new bearings.
    -I wanted TRUE UST rims (they are MUCH easier to inflate, and do not burp air in my personal experience)
    -I wanted a integrated wheelset that would survive my size (190lbs+) and my terrain (VERY gnarly New England singletrack).

I opted for the Trail wheelset for the larger spokes and wider rim. This combo is still quite light (at least as light as someone my size can ride), and is very well built.

Lotsa folks seem to like the stans setup, but I just personally wanted true (certified) UST rims to make a more secure connection.

I think its a fantastic deal on some VERY nice wheels... I'm really surprised they haven't sold faster.

mtbr member
    those are very solid new wheels at that price point ($600 or less, shipped). I wouldn't pay retail for them however...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have the older M975s and they have been great I paid around $500 for them IIRC. Everything cbussiere said is accurate. Nice light wheels, bombproof hubs and excellent UST rims. I also have the shimano MT-75 29er wheels and they are great too.

mtbr member
    i got a set of the xtr race wheels back in dec. to me, these wheels are light. im 220lbs and i ride these wheels everywhere. they are still straight and true this day

mtbr member
    NVM. Sorry for the bump..