mtbr member
    Jul 2008

XT/rhino lites or Bontrager superstock wheelset

I am a 130 pound novice rider that mostly rides single track with a few small 1-2 foot drops. I am building a hardtail and I have a set of Rhyno lites on XT hubs. I think they are a little heavier than I need do to my light weight. I can trade them plus $50 for a set of bontrageer superstock wheels. I cant find much info about the Bontrager wheels. They do look lighter but I donít know if the hubs are any good. Which set sounds like a better wheel for me?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The Superstocks would likely be fine...

for your weight and riding style. If the Superstocks are new then it'd be a fair deal. If they are used then an even swap would be fair. If they're used and you have to spank over your Rhynos and $50, pass, it ain't worth it. The standarard Bonty Superstock wheel ain't that much lighter than your Rhyno/XT wheelset. They are lighter, but not that much. The Superstocks are about the same level (quality wise) as your Rhynos. Anyway, they'd be fine for you. Just not sure about the deal.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    You might do better rebuilding your wheels using your XT hubs with lighter and stronger DT-Swiss or Mavic rims. This could cut about 100 grams from each wheel. It would cost more than $50 additional as per your trade in deal, but would gain you a higher quality wheel set.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you could reuild the RL's with better spokes but you could also buy a new set with better spokes for some additional coin that wouldn't cost much more than doing a rebuild. That is, unless you can do the rebuild yourself. even then, a set of decent rims cam be had for about $100 if you look around.