Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

XT disc v. Hope XC v. King

Is it worth upgrading an older set of XT disc hubs to a new set of Hope XC disc hubs? I bought my current wheelset (XT disc laced to Mavic 317 rims) last spring when I went to disc brakes from V's. They're the non-centerlock disc hubs - just the standard 6 bolt ISO pattern hubs. They were a screaming deal, and I bought them for value. I'm looking to upgrade my wheelset, and I saw what looks like a good deal on Hope XC hubs laced to Mavic XC717 rims. Would this be a worthy upgrade? Or, should I just go ahead and get the King hubs I've always wanted and have them laced to my current rims? That would be a MUCH more expensive option, and I'm not sure it's worth it. Here's a pic of my bike, to give you a sense of what rig I'm thinking of putting them on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 13.JPG (60.4 KB, 1425 views)

Trail rider and racer
    If you need to update your hubs or if you want to update your hubs go ahead. If you don't then don't bother, save the cash. But if you - Go the distance and get the Kings. Sure they are expensive but you get your moneys worth. They are FAR lighter then your XTs and will be more reliable and easier to service in the long run. The engagement is perfect, the buzz is nice, the looks are great but most importantly the reliability is probably second to none.....

I think King hubs are worth the money. I guess the question for you is - Do you need hubs, and if you can go the extra distance in getting your ideal hub...
    Trev!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Maybe not a "need"...

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I think King hubs are worth the money. I guess the question for you is - Do you need hubs, and if you can go the extra distance in getting your ideal hub...
    No, I don't "need" new hubs. My XT's work OK, but I bought them only because, at the time, I "needed" disc hubs since I was going to disc brakes from rim brakes. Now, however, I'm having my usual case of springtime "upgradeitis" and a guy whose opinion about bikes I regard very highly told me long ago that wheels are always the first thing to tackle in an upgrade project. I'm happy with the rest of the components on the bike (love that TALAS fork), but I think the hubs are "downspec" compared to the rest of the components. Kind of like a "Marilyn Monroe in the burlap sack" kind of thing. I'm a sucker for sexy wheels anyway!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    No, I don't "need" new hubs. My XT's work OK, but I bought them only because, at the time, I "needed" disc hubs since I was going to disc brakes from rim brakes. Now, however, I'm having my usual case of springtime "upgradeitis" and a guy whose opinion about bikes I regard very highly told me long ago that wheels are always the first thing to tackle in an upgrade project. I'm happy with the rest of the components on the bike (love that TALAS fork), but I think the hubs are "downspec" compared to the rest of the components. Kind of like a "Marilyn Monroe in the burlap sack" kind of thing. I'm a sucker for sexy wheels anyway!
    Sounds to me that you will be happier with Kings. Plus they are lighter then the hopes.
    I will treat myself to King wheels somtime in the future

Trail rider and racer
    As a person who severely suffers upgraditus I would strongly suggest you pick up some kings ASAP! You know ya wanna

I crave a custom set of KING ISOs in Candy PINK. That would be cool... I wonder if they would anodize me some in that colour????
    Trev!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    As a person who severely suffers upgraditus I would strongly suggest you pick up some kings ASAP! You know ya wanna

I crave a custom set of KING ISOs in Candy PINK. That would be cool... I wonder if they would anodize me some in that colour????
    I'm sure there is a demand for it! After all, pink is the new black! But I don't think it would look so flash on your truth(to tell you the tuth). I really want a hotpink SS, but as you know, that would cost more then my current ride, LOL!
    If I were to get Kings, what colour? Looks like Silver is my best option, maybe pewter, and if i have too, black.
    DOes any one have any pictures of pewter?! From the king website it looks purple!

Do It Yourself
    Kings will cure your upgraditis at least in the hub department. They last forever and in the long run provide good value. My rear King is 5 years old, on it's 4th rim and second hub shell (was Classic now ISO disc), and still going strong despite my shoddy maintenance.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Kings will cure your upgraditis at least in the hub department. They last forever and in the long run provide good value. My rear King is 5 years old, on it's 4th rim and second hub shell (was Classic now ISO disc), and still going strong despite my shoddy maintenance.
    I think the consensus is to go with the Kings. Since I'm going to do it one day anyway, I might as well do it now. Red King hubs (to match my red King headset and red Salsa skewers) mated to black Mavic 717 rims with black 14/15 spokes should about do it.

Motion activated
    Or, should I just go ahead and get the King hubs I've always wanted and have them laced to my current rims? That would be a MUCH more expensive option, and I'm not sure it's worth it.
    FYI a few of the online stores have 717 / King wheel sets for $500.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

i am running hope xc hubs...

well, just the rear hub on my wheels is a hope xc. i am using real disc up front (which is also nice). the hope is a pretty nice hub. it's hella easy to tear down, relubed and rebuild. all you really need are a flat screw driver, a mallet and a punch or wooden dowel. no $70 "special" set of tools. it's well made and has a simple 3 pawl ratchet mechanism. the reviews are great as well. engagment is quick (quicker than shimano, but not king like). it is abit heavy. hope could make a killing if they had a version with a ti freehub body (the hope xc has a steel freehub body) , like the bulb. but then, that would raise the price, and this is what kinda swayed me to these. all in all, they are reliable, easy to service and relubed, engage quick, make a nice smooth ratcheting sound, and aren't terriblely expensive. again, these aren't light, but i was able to build a 1750g set of wheels with the hope xc rear (about 370g i think) and a real disc front(about 210g) using dt supercomps and sun ufo rims.

as for king, really well made, ultrafast engagement, durable, reliable, light, and no upgradeitis from these. you need special tools for a complete overhaul and you get some crazy drag from the seals during breakin, not to mention a $500 bill for wheels.

if you are not willing to spend $450-500 on wheels, then the hope xc hubset is a great choice. probably a no-brainer, if you're looking for a set of wheels that weighs a tad more, but is just a reliable and easier to service than the kings.

cheers!

checkout www.dmvwrks.com (aka thebronze, best to contact him via email) and www.mtnhighcyclery.com (aka ventanarama) for wheels with either of these hubs (the hopes or the kings). both have great prices and will take care of you better than guys like jensonusa.com and the others.

Is it worth upgrading an older set of XT disc hubs to a new set of Hope XC disc hubs? I bought my current wheelset (XT disc laced to Mavic 317 rims) last spring when I went to disc brakes from V's. They're the non-centerlock disc hubs - just the standard 6 bolt ISO pattern hubs. They were a screaming deal, and I bought them for value. I'm looking to upgrade my wheelset, and I saw what looks like a good deal on Hope XC hubs laced to Mavic XC717 rims. Would this be a worthy upgrade? Or, should I just go ahead and get the King hubs I've always wanted and have them laced to my current rims? That would be a MUCH more expensive option, and I'm not sure it's worth it. Here's a pic of my bike, to give you a sense of what rig I'm thinking of putting them on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew

it can look purple at times in different light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hope XCs

i also have the Hope XCs. but, i ordered the Ti freehub from Hope and put it on myself, very easy. I love these hubs. i too wanted to upgrade to a nice wheelset and looked at the C.K.s but could not justify the $. the Hopes were a great value. just my $0.02.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

ti freehub, cool...

how much was the ti freehub body? and, what kind of weight savings...any idea???

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by NCFREERIDER
    i also have the Hope XCs. but, i ordered the Ti freehub from Hope and put it on myself, very easy. I love these hubs. i too wanted to upgrade to a nice wheelset and looked at the C.K.s but could not justify the $. the Hopes were a great value. just my $0.02.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    checkout www.dmvwrks.com (aka thebronze, best to contact him via email) and www.mtnhighcyclery.com (aka ventanarama) for wheels with either of these hubs (the hopes or the kings). both have great prices and will take care of you better than guys like jensonusa.com and the others.
    I've contacted both. So far, I think Toby will likely get my business - superfast on getting back on emails and pretty darn good prices. Thanks for the referrals!

get up n jump
    If you have not purchased your wheels yet. I would call Mike Garcia @ www.oddsandendos.com. He is awesome to deal with. I bought my wheelset from him. King ISO w/ DT XR 4.1d wheelsmith spokes. Flat $500 shipped. Great deal!! Worth the call anyway. P.S. did you end up moving to SLC? I hope to be back on my bike soon, so if you did then we will have to hook up some time. Nice ride by the way.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

mtbr member

Get them from Universal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    FYI a few of the online stores have 717 / King wheel sets for $500.
    Ask for Mike at Universal.com . He built me a set 1,300 miles ago for my Blur and I've trued (minor) them once! I got Mavic 317's and the ISO Disc's. They take a little work to get dialed in during break-in, but have been perfect for me!

I liked the old *****
    Jan 2004

Another vote for King . . .

Buzz . . .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by prerogative
    Buzz . . .
    Don't do that too me! Now I really want them! My hubs are silent! I really wnat king hubs! I won't be bothered by any creaking, rubbing or anything if I get those.
    And I could scare the crap out of people with them!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Too late

Quote Originally Posted by upendoed
    If you have not purchased your wheels yet. I would call Mike Garcia @ www.oddsandendos.com. He is awesome to deal with. I bought my wheelset from him. King ISO w/ DT XR 4.1d wheelsmith spokes. Flat $500 shipped. Great deal!! Worth the call anyway. P.S. did you end up moving to SLC? I hope to be back on my bike soon, so if you did then we will have to hook up some time. Nice ride by the way.
    I'm pretty much locked in right now with Toby at dmvworks for the set I want (red 32h ISO Kings, black XC717 rims, black 14/15 spokes and black brass nipples) for $510 shipped. Seems like a fair price and he's been really good at getting back to me with info.

As for SLC, my wife ended up getting a job two days before I was supposed to interview in Salt Lake, so we cancelled our trip and we're staying in Boise. I can't say I'm disappointed, but it would have been fun to explore the trails down there!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by prerogative
    Buzz . . .
    Was thinking about maybe getting a set, but that noise seems pretty obtrusive. Anyone have any thoughts on the buzzing...?

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveohhh
    Was thinking about maybe getting a set, but that noise seems pretty obtrusive. Anyone have any thoughts on the buzzing...?
    I've been riding the same King rear hub for over 5 years and the noise has never bothered me a bit. I could see how it would get annoying on the road, but on the trail it's a non-issue. First of all, you're not going that fast to get that high pitch. Second if you are coasting that fast on a downhill, there is a lot of other things banging around (e.g. chain slap) and other things to worry about like not flying off the side of a cliff. The benefits outweigh the buzz by a long shot.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the info I ride on the pavement for about half a block down the road till I can ride the ditch. So when the hub is engaged its silent?..all the more incentive not to coast Again thanks for the info.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveohhh
    So when the hub is engaged its silent?
    Yup, the buzz is just the freehub action while coasting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

so did you get the ck wheels?

sorry late to this thread... i would ride the xt set you have now until you've saved enough for the chris kings. the ck will last you forever -- you'll likely use them on another bike/frame.

if you don't mind used, you can pick up ck wheelset on ebay for under $300. mine were $240 non-disk, black, on bontrage valiants. i just opened them up the other day following the quicktime movies and pdfs from their website.

first time opening up hubs but with the cks it's so easy, just two 5mm allen keys!

john

ride:: ti hardtail

nightriding is fun !

Just some pics

If you want something really exotic, try Tune's . They are about as expensive as CK's, have the same buzz and are very well made.

These are mine. They need a lot of adjusting the first months and the buzz takes some getting used too. It saves money on a bell though !
    But they are light and dependable, thats what really counts.
    They come at a price, but they might survive a few wheels, just like I've seen CK headsets survive a few bikes.
    Titanium or Bust !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast