mtbr member
    Jan 2004

xt disc hubs/ sun rhyno lite xl wheelset- any good?

I am looking at buying a new set of wheels for the back-up xc bike. Are these any good? I can get them for 150 shipped. I have never had any experience with these rims, I usually ride mavic rims. If these aren't any good what is a nice wheelset for around 200 or less? I would like a wheelset that I can run disc or v-brakes on but if I have to choose just one it would be a disc specific set. Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fl jay
    I am looking at buying a new set of wheels for the back-up xc bike. Are these any good? I can get them for 150 shipped. I have never had any experience with these rims, I usually ride mavic rims. If these aren't any good what is a nice wheelset for around 200 or less? I would like a wheelset that I can run disc or v-brakes on but if I have to choose just one it would be a disc specific set. Any help is appreciated.
    These are pretty solid rims. Free-ride types complain that they flat-spot easily - but I can't see any issue for XC, other than the fact they are bit heavier than most XC rims.

mtbr remember
    I've seen SunRingle Singletrack/XT wheel sets on ebay for 139, which I personally would get over the rhyno lite xl, although they are disc specific.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    I've seen SunRingle Singletrack/XT wheel sets on ebay for 139, which I personally would get over the rhyno lite xl, although they are disc specific.
    Singletrack rims are overkill for XC use. There are cheaper and lighter rims available, especially if you look for closeouts. I have found nice, light rims for $10-15 each and disc hubsets for $35. Add $35-40 for spokes and I have a decent wheelset for around $100.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Shiggy a little help please....

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    Singletrack rims are overkill for XC use. There are cheaper and lighter rims available, especially if you look for closeouts. I have found nice, light rims for $10-15 each and disc hubsets for $35. Add $35-40 for spokes and I have a decent wheelset for around $100.
    Last Saturday I bent my wheel and now I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you'd be kind enough to answer for me.
    The rim I bent is a Mavic 117 rim, it came stock on my bike, are these easily bent low quality rims? I also was wondering what kind of rim/wheelset would you recommend? I ride XC lots of rocks, some short drops (1ft mostly) and I weigh about 195.
    I called Supergo to ask, my lbs is closed today, and they told me it would be more expensive to rebuild my wheel with a new rim and spokes than to buy a pre-built wheelset. They recommended Rhino lites with XT hubs for something like $150. I'm kinda of on a budget, well I have the money to spend a good amount on wheels, but I need to stop spending so much cash, you know? I've spent nearly $2k on getting my bike and getting all set up for MTB riding, and now I busted my wheel!
    Anyways any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I don't know what to do here. All I want to do is ride my bike. =0)
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I might be able to help. For my hartail I wanted a pair of inexpensive wheels that were good. I ended up getting some Velocity Rim, Sapien Spoke, LX Hub wheels built by spinlitecyling. They weight about 1800 grams and are V brake only, but they are as strong as heck. $115 for the pair, came to $145 with squewers and shipping to my front door.

http://www.spinlitecycling.com/specials.htm
    Riding slowly since 1977.