Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Xpost: Broken rear hub?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Archdukeferdinand 
#1 ·
Ran into some trouble today. I was out riding today on my backyard trail and as I was hopping up over a small, flat rock (no more than 6" high), I heard a bad, sudden snapping type sound. I hopped down, rolled away, and noticed that my freewheel was no longer ratcheting cleanly and that my chain seemed to be catching in the rear derailleur as a spun the crank arms backwards.

I stopped, took the rear wheel off, spun the cassette and there's definitely somthing up with the rear hub/cassette. It isn't wobbling or anything, it just does not sound even or crisp as it ratchets. Bike rode home fine, but I'd planned on riding all weekend.

Anyone have any bright ideas? I think the quickest way to get past this will just be buying a complete new rear wheel from the LBS as its a no-name hub and the rim has a couple of flat spots. I just wanted to get some other opinions, I know when I take it down to the LBS they'll take care of me but if this is something where I can buy a lockring tool and rebuild the hub myself in the matter of a morning, I'd probably take that over waiting for them to rebuild my current hub.

#2 ·
Archdukeferdinand said:
Anyone have any bright ideas? I think the quickest way to get past this will just be buying a complete new rear wheel from the LBS as its a no-name hub and the rim has a couple of flat spots. I just wanted to get some other opinions, I know when I take it down to the LBS they'll take care of me but if this is something where I can buy a lockring tool and rebuild the hub myself in the matter of a morning, I'd probably take that over waiting for them to rebuild my current hub.
Dont jump the gun yet. What kind of a hub is it? It almost sounds like the pawls have slipped out of their channel and are not engaging the drive gear. See if you can pull the cassette off, pull the end caps and take a looksee. Tell us what kind of hub, some dont need anything but hex wrenches and a screwdriver to dissasemble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.