mtbr member
    Nov 2006

XM 719 front & XC 717 rear?

Would this be odd? I'm building a wheel set (my first) and I'm thinking about reusing a true XC 717 rim in the rear and running an XM 719 rim in the front. Reason being - I think I'll only want to run a 2.1 tire in rear. Any issues with this set up? Should I just run the same rim front and rear?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ill be doing basically the same thing, but with a wtb speedisc xc in the rear.. i think its 1mm wider, but thats marginal. i dont see it being a problem. the front 719 should be here any day now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Not really a problem...

but you would be limiting the versatility of the wheelset. You may start out wanting to run a 2.1 in the rear, but what happens if you end up wanting to go bigger? It's not that you can't run a 2.3 on 717, but the foot print would be a bit off when compared to the 719 in the front. I've discovered that a slightly wider rim does give a better foot print to most 2.1 tires as well. Another factor is that the rear wheel usually takes the most abuse so is more likely to tweak out than the front in most cases. It'd make sense to me to go with the stronger of the two in the rear. Something else to consider, usually when using the same rim front and rear you can get away with 1 or 2 spoke lenghts. I doubt this will be true with a 717/719 wheelset. The 717 has an ERD of 542mm the 719 is 532mm. That difference will make for some drastically different spoke length requirements for each wheel. If weight is a consideration, you'd only be saving about 65g with the 717 and you'd be giving up the strength of the 719 in the rear.

You can certainly build a 717/719 wheelset without any issues. But other than weight savings, which are minimal, it doesn't really make much sense. Your choice though, it'll certainly work.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Went with 719's front and rear.

Squash, you make good points - thanks. Ultimately I came to the same conclusion as you regarding tire footprint and versatility. I also thought it might best to go with a new rim for my first build. I was initially leaning towards the 717 because I was going reuse one from my current wheel set and I plan to continue to run a 2.1 in the rear.

Are you sure the ERD of the 719 is 532mm? Everything I found says 536mm. I already ordered my parts last night including spokes based on a 536mm ERD. No offense, but I hope your wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I too find that the Mavic 719 has an ERD of 532.

What hub?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I guess I was actually using the SSD from Mavic...

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1219077533

But if I understand correctly, shouldn't the ERD be slightly longer than Mavic's SSD?