Thread: Xc tires

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Xc tires

I know this is a can of worms, but here I go anyway. I ride in central Florida. Lots of roots, limestone, and wooden structure in my trails. Let's throw in some shallow water from time to time and torn trails from pigs. What would you guys recommend?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I think Clint Gibbs likes Rocket Ron's and had good things to say about Mezcals.

He's in Florida somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQAaL1c8V4

Only thing I don't like about the Vittoria tires I've tried (Barzo TNT's), is tubeless sealant seems to dry and adhere to the inside of the casing a lot more then other tires I've used.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I'll look into those. I normally ride conti tires on the street but they don't seem to make a good mtb tire.

bike rider
    Is there basically a consensus that the Mezcal and Aspen are at the top of the heap with the Aspen rolling a little quicker while the Mezcal grips a little more?

Does anything roll as well or better than the Aspen, and can it match the Aspen's surprising grip and reasonable cornering?

If you need more traction than the Mezcal offers is the Ikon 2.2 the next step?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Lots of tires on wide or wider rims will offer better grip and performance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    +1 on Mezcal 2.35! Running Mezcal rear and Barzo front in FL.

mtbr member
    Racing or just for fun?

For fun, I like the hans dampf in a fast compound... but only up front. Its not a fast tire, but its really not that slow either. Nothing blows my confidence like having the front end wash out. Its sketches me out, and really ruins my ride. Plus, it hurts when you go down like that. Ill take something sticky up front, since it doesn't slow you down much anyway.

Dont pass up specialized tires. I dont ride anything else that spec makes, and Im not exactly a fan of their company as a whole... but man, their tires are awesome these days. A ground control 2.3 is quick. You could run them front and back for a pretty confident, pretty fast ride.

Everyone and their mother used to run conti's offroad too. They seem to have fallen out of favor, but they're still good tires. The new raceking and xking are good xc tires. I maintain my opinion about front tires, but conti makes very good/very fast xc tires for the rear.

Barely in control
    My go-to tire for lots of limestone isn't an xc tire, it's the Vittoria Morsa. Durable, grippy, and rolls fast. Heavy though.

People seem to want tires that grip well on roots but also roll fast. That is not really possible. A sticky compound is going to be slower and not durable at all on limestone.

Without knowing your riding style that's all I have to add.

mtbr member
    ^ I agree about the roots.

Roots are slick as hell and nothing im willing to pedalas around works well on them. Just hold on and try to hit them as straight on as possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    My go-to tire for lots of limestone isn't an xc tire, it's the Vittoria Morsa. Durable, grippy, and rolls fast. Heavy though.

People seem to want tires that grip well on roots but also roll fast. That is not really possible. A sticky compound is going to be slower and not durable at all on limestone.

Without knowing your riding style that's all I have to add.
    Casual rider. Still working on improving the basics. Any speed improvements will come from consistently hitting the best line. I don't need or want a race tire. Bike is a rockhopper so everything at this point is pretty much entry level gear.