mtbr member

XC Raceday flat repair kit setup

What do you carry, how do you carry it? Running tubeless.

transmitter~receiver
    two tire levers, a multi-tool, & a CO2 inflator in the zipper bag that came with the inflator; a tube with a zip tie around it; and a pump (got burned once by the CO2, but you can't beat 'em for speed)... in jersey pockets
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-25-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I use electrical tape to tape together:

1. a tube

2. a tire lever

3. an Innovations Big Air 40-gram CO2 canister, with the Innovations Air Chuck Elite threaded onto the CO2 canister and electrical-taped down so it can't spin off.

And I stuff that in a jersey pocket.

The Innovations rep would recommend their 25-gram CO2 cartridge instead of the 40-gram Big Air, because the higher internal pressure of the 25-gram cartridge gives a better "rush" if you're trying to get a tubeless tire to seat & seal. But if I'm putting in a tube anyway, I'd rather use the Big Air. The cannister's significantly lighter, being aluminum, and it can get even a high-volume XC tire pretty hard so I don't have a pinch flat while trying to catch back up. And they're cheaper than the pricey 25-gram cartridges too.

Rub it............
    The last 2 races I did were short, so I only carried 3 CO2 cartridges (16 oz) in case of a tire burp. Other than that I carried nothing.

But the other races where I was using a camelbak, It was 2 tire levers, 3 CO2 cartridges (16 oz.) spare tube. I figured I was already hauling 100 oz of water (couple of the races were hot/humid), whats another 1/2 lb of stuff in the pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    I use electrical tape to tape together:

1. a tube

2. a tire lever

3. an Innovations Big Air 40-gram CO2 canister, with the Innovations Air Chuck Elite threaded onto the CO2 canister and electrical-taped down so it can't spin off.

And I stuff that in a jersey pocket.

The Innovations rep would recommend their 25-gram CO2 cartridge instead of the 40-gram Big Air, because the higher internal pressure of the 25-gram cartridge gives a better "rush" if you're trying to get a tubeless tire to seat & seal. But if I'm putting in a tube anyway, I'd rather use the Big Air. The cannister's significantly lighter, being aluminum, and it can get even a high-volume XC tire pretty hard so I don't have a pinch flat while trying to catch back up. And they're cheaper than the pricey 25-gram cartridges too.
    Good information. I like this setup. Simular to what I have been doing but wasnt sure if tubeless setups had a good alternative instead of carrying a tube. You just cant risk not having a tube...

Thanks