mtbr member

XC 29er tubeless Wheelset for 180 lb rider $1K budget

I know, Iknow... another "Which Wheelset" thread. but I need help, seems like each set I look at has it's own issues and I can't decide what to get. I would like to get something lightweight around 1600-1700 grams. I'm 184lbs right now. but I hope to loose 10 lbs by riding longer and more often on the new Orbea Alma XC bike. I don't have the skills to build so I'm looking at an "off the shelf" wheelset under $1000 if possible. heres some wheels I have been thinking of:

Stans Crest ZTR 3.30 1600 grams. . I'm pretty sure I may be too heavy/aggressive and understand they can be noodles

Easton EA90s 1700 grams. .I really like the look of these wheels. But everyone says the bearings are crap. However, I have a set of 26" Havens on my AM and they are doing fine after a year of hard riding

Aerican Classic 1600 grams. haven't heard much negitive other than low pressure causing dings. would my weight be an issue on these?

so thats what I got on my list so far.... any other suggestions are appreciated. and other riders experiences with these at my weight.

THANKS!

mtbr member
    Talk to a wheel builder. With that budget you could go custom and get the best wheel set for you instead of an off the shelf set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just got a set of Magic Crossmax STs a couple weeks ago. They rock!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmtb1 View Post
    Talk to a wheel builder. With that budget you could go custom and get the best wheel set for you instead of an off the shelf set.
    I should have stated that is my MAX. would prefer to spend 600-700K as the wheels above are in that range.

Also heard from my LBS that Spinergy is coming out with a new tubeless rim on their wheels , they recommend waiting to see...

Workin for the weekend!
    I'm 220lbs and have 400km on the EA90XC's, no problems still straight and true. Bearings are in good shape.

psycho cyclo addict
    I am 195 lbs and ride 29er Crests (ordered from Stan's) down staircases, off of up to ~4' drops, etc. and they've stayed true. Get the HD front hub if you need 15 or 20mm (standard rear hub will be fine).

I also have 3 sets of Chris King hubs laced to 29er 355's, Flows and a new build of carbon hoops soon.

<100%
    Roval Control or Control Trail, or Crossmax ST 29.

mtbr member
    Handbuilt using 32 standard spokes. Here are a couple nice options

Pacenti CL25 rims on Hope Pro II hubs
    BikeLugs.com

WTB Frequency i19 TCS rims on e13 hubs
    Art's Cyclery Pro Build Pro 29 XC Wheelset
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post

BikeLugs.com

Hey, thanks! Both of those look like some great alternatives to the stans crest ztr wheelsets. Wish there was more info on the Pacenti/Hope set, like the total weight. guess i will have to send them an email. going to be harder to choose now!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Mavic Crossmax ST's here and love them so far. Huge difference compared to the stock rims.

mtbr member
    Texas Cycle sport has a promo code "cool" gets you 22% off of 2 items.

If you are still thinking of American classic...

bamm!!!

Well under budget.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I am 195 lbs and ride 29er Crests (ordered from Stan's) down staircases, off of up to ~4' drops, etc. and they've stayed true. Get the HD front hub if you need 15 or 20mm (standard rear hub will be fine).

I also have 3 sets of Chris King hubs laced to 29er 355's, Flows and a new build of carbon hoops soon.
    Seriously!?!?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Id recommend the Stans Arch EX set. I was worried that some of the Stans were noodles, so I opted for the slightly heavier Arch EX and they have far exceeded my expectations. Im pretty tough on my wheels. I destroyed my stock DT Swiss (XM1450, I think?) in the first 150 miles. I just did the first true on the Stans after about 1500 miles.

At 500 dollars, and 1770 grams, I have been very pleased.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post

BikeLugs.com

Man, those two options really seem to be a great value. I can't decide. Not as familiar with the E13 hubs, are they as loud as the Hopes? quality? not finding a lot of info about those hubs.

Not sure, but I'm leaning towards the Hope/Pacenti set. for $600 bucks, that really seems like quite a good deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    Man, those two options really seem to be a great value. I can't decide. Not as familiar with the E13 hubs, are they as loud as the Hopes? quality? not finding a lot of info about those hubs.

Not sure, but I'm leaning towards the Hope/Pacenti set. for $600 bucks, that really seems like quite a good deal.
    No first hand experience. But they are 60 poe (60 tooth ratchet) with three pawls that have two teeth each. Should be solid quality from e13 as well. Here is the sound.

I don't think you could go wrong with either
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by vincinator99 View Post
    Id recommend the Stans Arch EX set. I was worried that some of the Stans were noodles, so I opted for the slightly heavier Arch EX and they have far exceeded my expectations. Im pretty tough on my wheels. I destroyed my stock DT Swiss (XM1450, I think?) in the first 150 miles. I just did the first true on the Stans after about 1500 miles.

At 500 dollars, and 1770 grams, I have been very pleased.
    +1 with for the Stans Arch EX. I was able to get a set w/ Hope Hubs at a military discount (~$600) and have put thousands of miles on them at between 189lbs and 172 lbs (and dropping). I noticed there are some clearance wheels right now for a nice price (Crest and Arch).
    Good Luck with your choice.

Big Boy
    I would look at the american classic race wheels. 24mm internal width and 1460 grams per the set. twentynineinches.com did a review, and they seemed to like them as an everyday xc wheelset.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

psycho cyclo addict
    Seriously!?!?
    3' drops... bit of the typo there- D'oh

But yes seriously- Crests will be more than enough fer ya.

I do steps like this and bigger all the time @ over 200 lbs w/ gear on running tubeless Crests. I thought about getting ArchEX but was talked out of it and I have no regrets.

Contour | Stories | Urban stairs

Always Learning
    I know, Iknow... another "Which Wheelset" thread. but I need help, seems like each set I look at has it's own issues and I can't decide what to get. I would like to get something lightweight around 1600-1700 grams. I'm 184lbs right now. but I hope to loose 10 lbs by riding longer and more often on the new Orbea Alma XC bike. I don't have the skills to build so I'm looking at an "off the shelf" wheelset under $1000 if possible. heres some wheels I have been thinking of:

Stans Crest ZTR 3.30 1600 grams. . I'm pretty sure I may be too heavy/aggressive and understand they can be noodles

Easton EA90s 1700 grams. .I really like the look of these wheels. But everyone says the bearings are crap. However, I have a set of 26" Havens on my AM and they are doing fine after a year of hard riding

Aerican Classic 1600 grams. haven't heard much negitive other than low pressure causing dings. would my weight be an issue on these?

so thats what I got on my list so far.... any other suggestions are appreciated. and other riders experiences with these at my weight.

THANKS!
    Run - don't walk - to Mike Curiak at LaceMine29.com. Mike has been building wheels for 29"ers since 1999. He will work with your budget, intended riding needs and offer several hand built suggestions that will trump most off the shelf wheels.

I am your weight and Mike has built 2 wheelsets for me over the years. The latest was a set of Crest rims laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs using DT Swiss Comp spokes. Intended use was for XC racing and the wheels are still going strong after several seasons.

With the advent of stiffer, yet light rims that are reasonably priced, such as from Light Bicycle, a pair of the carbon rims can be built that are stiffer and weigh around 1500-1600g for a 29"er and still meet your budget.

Check out Mike's website and shoot him an email. I highly recommend his expertise, building skills, and customer service.

BB

mtbr member
    OMG you guys are killing me with all these great options!

Good thing I have a heavy set of wheels to use while I try to make up my mind.

BruceBrown, thanks. but dang, tying to fill out that wheel use form for Mike is kinda hard. Am I a basher, a masher, spinner, etc. ??? Geez I just don't know exactly. sometimes I'm this, sometimes I'm that, sometimes I crash all over, hard to pin it down. The only for sure answer is my weight and age.

Always Learning
    OMG you guys are killing me with all these great options!

Good thing I have a heavy set of wheels to use while I try to make up my mind.

BruceBrown, thanks. but dang, tying to fill out that wheel use form for Mike is kinda hard. Am I a basher, a masher, spinner, etc. ??? Geez I just don't know exactly. sometimes I'm this, sometimes I'm that, sometimes I crash all over, hard to pin it down. The only for sure answer is my weight and age.
    Well, at least you know your weight and age.

The email (or phone call) exchange between you and Mike would narrow it all down. You're certainly not a basher based on what you posted. Masher vs. spinner will have to do with spoke choice in the rear. If you drop your chain on a smaller cog and grind things out at a 50 rpm cadence all the time there is going to be a certain amount of wheel flex in the rear that will have to be dealt with during the build. If you drop it in a larger cog in the rear and spin around the course at 90 rpm's or higher like a hamster let out in the woods - then that will dictate spoke choice/rim choice.

In spite of the questions Mike asks to begin with as a basis for starting the discussion - the end result will be a custom build suited to your riding strengths/weaknesses, budget and riding needs.

Who wouldn't want that compared to an off the shelf suit that may or may not fit you the best?
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 02-01-2013 at 07:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

XC 29er tubeless Wheelset for 180 lb rider $1K budget

Ok so these are over your budget and much higher than most listed here... BUT, they offer something that the others don't... They're carbon.

Roval Control Carbon 29er.
    The msrp is $1200. You should be able to negotiate a little discount... They weigh in the 1500g range.

If you had the money, that's where I'd put it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Why not the light bicycles wider carbon carbon rims and some reasonable hubs. Rims are $330 plus shipping $380 total ~$80 for spokes and nipples from bikehubstore. That leaves roughly $250-$550 for hubs and construction. There are decent hubs available on ebay or from bike hub store.

You can go heavier on the hubs since rotational inertia is dominated by rim and tire weight. Spokes and hubs contribute very little to rotational inertia.

I have identical wheel sets with arches and the light bicycle rims. The Chinese carbon rims are <400 grams which is much lighter than the arch or arch ex. They are also incredibly stiff and take the Bontrager rims strips and set up bombproof tubeless. I love these rims.