mtbr member
    May 2005

WTF Mavic Australia are a bunch of retards! Can't even get a wheel built at a shop...

Alright, this is my rant.... need help regarding this issue...

I bought 2x Mavic XM819Disc rim's and a set of Chris King ISO 28hole (15mm/142x12mm)

I did my calculations with DT spoke calculator and even emailed aspiretech and chris king themselves and asked if the calculations were correct as i actually wanted to lace the wheels myself, but didn't have time.

15/4/2013
    So instead i brought it over to bikebugs in north sydney, thinking they would have 14mm or 16mm nipples unstick to be laced with DT Comp spokes. I was told ETA would be a week. Ps bikeshop will charge me on spokes/nipples/labour

So a week has passed and i called the shop to see if i'm able to collect my rear wheel, guess what? Nothing was done and they said i require special 16mm nipples. (am confused why the term special was used)

Week 2, haven't heard a word from them. So i decided to shout an email..... The reply?.... nipples have been ordered and awaiting arrival.

07/05/2013
    So i thought on the 4th week i'll be able to get my wheels laced....
    Called the shop again... (am shocked the shop has never once contacted me about the problems, i had to do all the calling)..... guess what! wheel not finished. The distributor has placed an order but the next shipment from France is 2 1/2 weeks away....? WTF

bikebugs rep did make a few calls to their distributor and guess what...
    their distributor said that Mavic XM819 Disc can't be laced with Chris King as the build requires SPECIAL NIPPLES and can only be built with MAVIC HUBS?

WTF?? What's so special? It's a freaking 16mm brass or alloy nipples!!

Can anyone confirm their claim of me needing special nipples?
    I've supplied them with the rim/cups for the nipples/ hub.
    To confirm, all I need for the build are spokes and 16mm nipples?

Ps.
    I've read so many threads of XM819 being built with 12mm nipples but recommended is 16mm. I've even seen pictures on google where XM819 is laced with Chris King ISO hubs.

Could i please get some opinions/advise as i would like to show the bikeshop that XM819 can be built with Chris King.

4weeks and i'm still waiting for a bloody wheel to be laced!

Update! right now the LBS doesn't even want to order DT 16mm nipples as they are afraid that the nipples won't work and would have to bare the cost of the nipples and freight... Now i have to source them myself and it'll take 1-2 weeks.....
    Last edited by camelunderwear; 05-07-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Formerly of Kent
    You need special nipples (look at the rims, dude) that thread into the rim itself.

You can use any "traditional" hub with any j-bend spoke.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    special nipples? as in 16mm?

I've supplied the lbs with the nipple cup

Formerly of Kent
    I'm referring the nipple cups, or whatever they're called, that thread into the rim itself.

However, 14 or 16mm work much better than 12. When you're tensioning the spokes up initially, there won't be much nipple to grap on to, at all.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    You need special nipples (look at the rims, dude) that thread into the rim itself.

You can use any "traditional" hub with any j-bend spoke.
    Those are nipple cups, not nipples. The nipples are standard 16mm -- 12mm would work too, just less to grab hold of.

Not sure I'd use bikebugs for anything, considering they told you that you need a Mavic hub.

transmitter~receiver
    your story is a little confusing.
    you wanted to lace the wheel yourself, but then decided to drop it off at the shop where you went to buy nipples?
    how is Mavic involved in this story such that you have concluded they are retards?

bottom line:
    stay the hell away from that bike shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

WTF Mavic Australia are a bunch of retards! Can't even get a wheel built at a s

Quote Originally Posted by camelunderwear View Post
    special nipples? as in 16mm?

I've supplied the lbs with the nipple cup
    14 or 16mm nipples are not that common. I have alway used 12mm with 819 rims. Works fine if you are careful.

Whoever is at fault here, it is not Mavic.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    your story is a little confusing.
    you wanted to lace the wheel yourself, but then decided to drop it off at the shop where you went to buy nipples?
    how is Mavic involved in this story such that you have concluded they are retards?

bottom line:
    stay the hell away from that bike shop.
    I did want to lace the wheel myself, but didn't have time and thought a bike shop would have 16mm nipples instock.

So I dropped my rim and hub at the lbs and they didn't have 16mm nipples. So they said they'll order them and lace the wheel.

Mavic is involved as the bikeshop called them to confirm about the nipple sizing etc

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How is it not mavic?
    Lbs called mavic to confirm nipple size.
    Mavic replied and told them 16mm nipples can't be used and only mavic hubs suit the xm 819's..... They played a roll...

I reckon I'll just take back my wheel and hub from them...
    I'd have to say its the worse bikeshop ive dealt with in Sydney!
    4 weeks and nothing has been done.
    If they did order the nipples the day I dropped it off, I bet the 16mm nipples would have arrived.
    Or give me a call when things are not on the right track, not having the customer having to contact them....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    14 or 16mm nipples are not that common. I have alway used 12mm with 819 rims. Works fine if you are careful.

Whoever is at fault here, it is not Mavic.
    Hi shiggy

Would you mind enlightening me on two questions

1) can mavic xm819disc be laced with any hubs? Was told from lbs only mavic hubs can be laced with xm819disc (the lbs said such info came from their distributor)

2) I've supplied the lbs with nipple cup, xm819 and ck iso. Is it true that the only thing the lbs needs is dt 2.0mm x 16mm nipples and dt comp 2.0mm spokes?

Thanks
    Mark

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Hi shiggy

Would you mind enlightening me on two questions

1) can mavic xm819disc be laced with any hubs? Was told from lbs only mavic hubs can be laced with xm819disc (the lbs said such info came from their distributor)

2) I've supplied the lbs with nipple cup, xm819 and ck iso. Is it true that the only thing the lbs needs is dt 2.0mm x 16mm nipples and dt comp 2.0mm spokes?

Thanks
    Mark
    You are all at fault then. You for not doing it all yourself and choosing an idiot LBS. the LBS for not knowing what they are doing. Mavic OZ for employing a poor CS rep. They have become way too attached to factory built wheelsets.

1. You know the answer.

2. 16mm nipples are not required and spokes need not be 2.0 nor DT. They do need to be the proper length.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

transmitter~receiver
    I did want to lace the wheel myself, but didn't have time and thought a bike shop would have 16mm nipples instock.

So I dropped my rim and hub at the lbs and they didn't have 16mm nipples. So they said they'll order them and lace the wheel.
    gotcha, just didn't understand that part.

Mavic is involved as the bikeshop called them to confirm about the nipple sizing etc
    oh. your post says they called the "distributor." does Mavic distribute their own stuff in Australia under Mavic Australia? that would be weird.
    also, when someone is telling you what someone else said, the accuracy falls way off.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    1. You know the answer.
    Yup -- that's been answered a couple times already.

Here is my brother riding his CK ISO discs on Mavic 819s...

16mm is just a recommendation...I used their spec for nipples on his build.

transmitter~receiver

**important**

Make sure if you do use 12mm or 14mm nipples that you recalculate the spoke length with that selection.
    I you find Sapim 16mm nipples you should also calculate based on 12mm in the DT Swiss spoke length calc.
    DT Swiss nipples of different lengths have different threaded lengths and that is reflected in the DT Swiss spoke length calculator (selecting 16mm nipples subtracts from the recommended spoke length).
    Something (else) to be aware of

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I ended up using 16mm nipples.
    I might try 12mm-14mm next time if the wheel fails
    If that happens, i'll add 2-4mm for spoke length next time :P

Reason why i brought the weeks to them is my uni's 1minute walk away and as a uni student i've no time to build the wheels myself.

Anyhow, i've finally manage to collect my rear wheel today.
    Am surprised this time the shop actually called me once they completed the wheels.
    First call from them this morning after 4 weeks of waiting, not having me to call them and check if they are ready.

Reason is i ordered the spokes/nipples from jensonusa and it took a week for the parts to arrive and passed it to them. Cheers to jensonusa, they even gave me 2 extra spokes and 12mm nipples, good service.

Shiggy was right they are too accustomed to factory built wheelsets and from the looks of the shop they are into road bikes...

I've given my front wheel to them and hopefully there will be no hiccups.

transmitter~receiver
    If that happens, i'll add 2-4mm for spoke length next time :P
    Only do that if you use DT Swiss nipples.
    Sapim nipples are not threaded the same way and do not need adjustment of spoke length for different sized nipples.

No Stranger to danger....
    Sydney without a shadow of a doubt has the worst LBSs on the face of the earth, i stopped using them years ago, i buy online and do it myself, i live in Sydney city, try finding a good one here without urban ledgends in their own lunchbox working in them, i wouldnt give them a cent of my money, not even for a tube.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    All I have to say is that if that CK hub and a Mavic 819 is not possible, I've been riding the impossible for 6 yrs now............
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So the bike shop was thinking mavic "factory built" wheel parts, then, instead of rims+hub+spokes+nipples (required size used in the supplied cups)+assemble=wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    To summarize

I finally had my wheels built after 4 weeks of waiting because they are a bunch of nutheads and the price....... it was outrageous, $120 for labour for each wheel ($240 total) to build and i supplied all the parts. The beginning i was qouted $90 and the priced later increased an additional $30 cause they said to lace 819's it takes longer. How about my 4 weeks wait?

I would never ever do business with the shop.
    I thought they would have good customer service since they were located in a business district.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I thought they would have good customer service since they were located in a business district.
    ^ I really cannot believe you could think that!!!

Being located in the Sydney or North Sydney CBD means that a high proportion of customers tend to be employed in financial services and have way too much disposable income, hence shops located there charge like the proverbial wounded bull. Better service and pricing is to be had elsewhere. BTW, there is no such entity as "Mavic Australia" and has never been; there is a local importer but that is not their name.

It is interesting that it is often quicker to get things from another continent than from a supplier in the same city, or interstate... :-(