mtbr member
    Apr 2012

WTF..keeps going flat

Ok, so I hadnt ridden in a few weeks and took my bike to the boardwalk in ft lauderdale. Both tires were low so I used this auto pump I have that hooks into my lighter plug on my car. So I fill both tires up. Then 20 min later the rear is almost completely flat and the front looks like its lost a bit.

So I go home and pull the tires but both of the tubes are fine? I put them in water looked for leaks etc..I filled them up and released the air multiple times. The only thing I can think of is the pump im using sounds like its working but once it gets to s certain point its not pumping in any air. Then there just isnt enough to hold up.

the bike is a year old and has only been ridden a handful of times. Is it the pump or should I go buy new tubes even though these pass the bath tub test? I want to take it to the beach tomorrow and actually be able to ride. So weird and frustrating.

mtbr member
    2 possibilities here IMO. Either your tubes are leaking at the valve when on the bike (presta or Schrader?) and not in the tub, or your rim is almost airtight, and there are pockets of air trapped outside the tube, between it and the tire carcass. Usually this leaks out, and when you then inflate the tire the second time, it holds the air pressure.

If the tube is OK, then there is no way for air to escape from inside the tube other than the valve stem.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1