Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ~Disc~Golf~

New question here. WTF do People Actually Seek LOUD Hubs???

It is asinine, to me, to buy a wheel or hub for the reason that it is loud, noisy, or buzzy.

I do not get it - AT ALL

It's like that honda owner who get's a buzz-box tail-pipe that really does nothing for performance.

I get this logic; "I got this Hadley hub, it's kinda loud, but at least it works great" vs. "can someone recommend me some loud hubs?"

F-off tool! - I'll sneak up and steal your GF like a ninja in the dark with my XT hub

(And, no, that's not Gary Fisher - I don't steal Gary Fishers)
    Last edited by highdelll; 12-28-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

Prime
    Being as I've got 2 bikes running DT Swiss 240s with the ratchet upgrade, and 1 bike with an e*thirteen LG1+, I'd say that I've got the "works great" part covered.

mtbr member
    They're like bear bells...I guess

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Being as I've got 2 bikes running DT Swiss 240s with the ratchet upgrade, and 1 bike with an e*thirteen LG1+, I'd say that I've got the "works great" part covered.
    How do you feel about the noise?

Dropshot Champ!
    You'll try to sneak up with xt huba, but will backpedal over those roots and wont have enough poe to make the section, then fall over. Then, you'll try to convert the hubs...and, oh wait.

But hey at least they're heavy and quiet and when your bearings go out.....i see what i did there.

Best part about loud hubs is you can avoid accidents while bombing trails!

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    How do you feel about the noise?
    Doesn't phase me one way or the other. When I buy, I buy quality. If it's loud, it's loud.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    ...and quiet and when your bearings go out.....i see what i did there.
    oh, but they don't go out, do they -

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Doesn't phase me one way or the other. When I buy, I buy quality. If it's loud, it's loud.
    Totally rad man!

Custom Wheel Builder
    Nov 2012
    Some people like loud hubs. Don't know why myself. I just finished building a wheelset for a customer with Hope hubs. He trashed the rims but the hubs were in good shape. He like the loud hubs so I rebuilt them with some new Arch rims. He's happy and has a nice set of wheels.
    With that said, I have King hubs on all my bikes road and MTB. Can't argue with quality.
    www.wheelwerks.us
    sales@wheelwerks.us
    Dealers for Chris King, Stan's, Lupine and more

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    initially the idea of owning loud hubs sounds good whereby you can lets riders know you are passing while on crowded trail. the other 'use' for loud hubs is that it will keep me pedalling instead of coasting as the sound gets rather irritating while you coast.

after owning them for a while, did not like it at all and now i am a happy owner of fulcrum red power with silent hub. i prefer to shout "coming through" instead and say hello to other riders

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    You'll try to sneak up with xt huba, but will backpedal over those roots and wont have enough poe to make the section, then fall over. Then, you'll try to convert the hubs...and, oh wait.

But hey at least they're heavy and quiet and when your bearings go out.....i see what i did there.

Best part about loud hubs is you can avoid accidents while bombing trails!
    XTs are 36POI and rear weighs 330g. I've been riding a pair for 3y now without issues.

Hope's are 285g with aluminium freehub body (Xt is steel) and 24POI.

mtbr member
    It's for frightening hikers.

Get real close on the pedals, then freewheel at about two feet away, they'll think it's a giant wasp and dive for cover. By the time they realise it's not a wasp you're through and out of range, they go back to the pub and tell everyone about the giant bug that nearly attacked them today, you sit at the bar and nod sagely.

mtbr member

I get this logic; "I got this Hadley hub, it's kinda loud, but at least it works great" vs. "can someone recommend me some loud hubs?"

Motivation to never coast??? Harley envy??? Put playing cards in their spokes as a kid????

I don't get it either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Motivation to never coast??? Harley envy??? Put playing cards in their spokes as a kid????

I don't get it either.
    haha up, i tried to convince myself that was one of the reasons for getting a loud hub but i guess i dont get it either

cheers! and keep the fun between yer legs!

turtles make me hot
    I went for a night ride last night and one of the things I was diggin' was how quiet my DT Swiss 340 (?) hub is. It enabled me to do my best trail ninja riding.
    I like turtles

Trail Prospector
    Yeah, especially annoying on a normally stealth SS.
    Wanted a SS hub, and really had no idea just how loud the Hope trials hub is, even well-lubed.
    Find it both annoying, and yet at times useful. When coasting, sounds like a swarm of angry bees,
    rarely need my bell, has saved me from one blind corner collision, and makes hikers jump.
    Also reminds me of STS who rode the entire Tour Divide on a fixie - respect!

IME - After 8 rides (geared F/S) an XT-785 exploded, replaced with a Hadley = very smooth & quiet.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

MTB B'dos
    Well I LIKE THEM I like them because my Hopes have great engagement and have lasted thousands of miles with little maintenance. The noise let's all the others I ride with know I'm not pedaling, so pedal faster and when on the trails in the US a quick free wheel and the hikers hear you coming, works like a charm. You can keep those XTs and their lack of versatility, I'll take my Pro2s, or any of the other hubs that run sealed bearings and high POE - they can run an any axle configuration and have great engagement, none of the fishing for contact when ratcheting through big rock gardens, roots etc.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hopes with lots of extra light weight grease. Silent
    And don't give me crap about it locking the pawls and causing failure. If you use the right grease that doesn't happen.

Trail Prospector
    ^^ Do tell - what grease you using, and does it work in cold weather?
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    ...You can keep those XTs and their lack of versatility,...
    It's early, and I have just started a cup of coffee, but what else should I want my XTs (or even my Pure's - pretty quiet too) to do to make them versatile?

Make me a sammich?, decipher code?, pay my taxes?

right now, they hold my spokes in place/order quite nicely

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    ^^ Do tell - what grease you using, and does it work in cold weather?
    I am using tetra gun grease and so far it works great in cold weather. I had some laying around that I use on my competition shooting guns so I figured why not give it a try. I've also never had any issues using it in the cold on guns either. Cold riding for my area is about 30 degrees sometimes a few degrees colder.

Ride More, Whine Less
    I'll take a loud hub any day over squeaking brakes.

MTB B'dos
    You let me know when your XT's can swap from 10mm QR to 10mm solid/bolt on to 12mm TA,or front from 9mm QR, to 9mm solid/TA, to 15mm TA, or 20mm TA all in about 5 minutes.

Sometimes your trolls are so dumb

It's early, and I have just started a cup of coffee, but what else should I want my XTs (or even my Pure's - pretty quiet too) to do to make them versatile?

Make me a sammich?, decipher code?, pay my taxes?

right now, they hold my spokes in place/order quite nicely
    Last edited by LyNx; 12-29-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Go faster!
    I ride a loud rear hub. At first all I could hear was my hub, now I hardly notice it. I made my purchase based on dependability reviews, sealed bearings, and replacement part availability. Overall I have been very pleased with the performance and I have no idea how many POEs my hub has.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    You let me know when your XT's can swap from 10mm QR to 10mm solid/bolt on to 12mm TA, to 20mm TA, or front from 9mm QR, to 9mm solid/TA, to 15mm TA, or 20mm TA all in about 5 minutes.
    ^^^ this ^^^

There are four bikes in my household with three different front axles and two different rear axles. Sticking to one brand of convertible hubs + conversion kits == I can mix and match wheels as needed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast