Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    You let me know when your XT's can swap from 10mm QR to 10mm solid/bolt on to 12mm TA, to 20mm TA, or front from 9mm QR, to 9mm solid/TA, to 15mm TA, or 20mm TA all in about 5 minutes.

Sometimes your trolls are so dumb
    I agree that the axle adaptability found in the higher end (noisy hubs) is a great thing to have.

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    Hey LyNx why would you need this many configuration options on one hub? Do people really swap wheels and axles on thier bikes that often?

mtbr member
    Couldn't agree more. I HATE loud hubs. My Eastons, are, as advertised, totally stealth:

http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/ea70-xct-832

I just recently borrowed two different bikes (one, a Cannondale with SunRingle and the other a Specialized Epic with I don't know what hubs), and the loud hubs on both were absolutely torturous.

MTB B'dos
    Well, let's see, I have 3 completely different bikes, 1 rigid, 1 HT and 1 FS and the forks all use a different front axle setup - 9mm, 15mm and 20mm. If I have 3 wheelsets, and each one can only be setup/used with the specific axle configuration for it's bike, then if I want to change tyres for some reason I have to actually physically swap tyres on and off that wheelset for that bike.
    Now if I have 3 wheelsets with hubs with the versatility I speak of, where the hubs can easily be converted to work with any standard, then I can run different tyres on each wheelset and mix and match as the weather, terrain, my preference or ride dictate, much more versatile, much easier, more funner

Quote Originally Posted by redd4573 View Post
    Hey LyNx why would you need this many configuration options on one hub? Do people really swap wheels and axles on thier bikes that often?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I like louder simply for the assurance that the teeth are engaging firmly. Lighter the hub, stronger the pawl springs, louder the resonance. As one remarked, pedal to remain silent

I do a lot of city riding where pedestrians jaywalking are a major nuisance, so having some noise emissions saves me from having to yell or use the horn. My shimano-hubbed bike is always getting people walking in the way, Coda hubbed one barely ever.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I never know until I have the hub in hand, If it's loud, it's loud.
    I can't afford do be picky on everything, so I find good quality at the best price possible.
    Looks and sound unfortunately are not worth the extra cost or worry.

My current build is DT on the front and BHS no names on the back, one has great reports, one has good reports... I never even thought to ask how loud they were...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i way prefer loud hubs...to alert hikers so i don't have to call out to them.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My AC AMs are almost dead silent and I love them you get to see more wildlife that way.
    My buddy upgraded to CK hubs and was disappointed they weren't louder. He also couldnt figure out why he doesn't see deer anymore

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I've got ZTR HD 3.30s, which I don't believe is considered a loud hub...but it sure is louder than I'd like. Rode my stock hubs on a street ride today, and boy it was nice to ride a silent rear hub.

banned
    I love loud hubs, if you can here it, it is time for you to GTF out of the way!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quiet Hadley is a beautiful thing

T.W.O.
    I love my i9, sure it's loud but look how much I save on the bell, plus I'm not going to know the difference riding thru the trail litter with rattlers

Carbon & Ti rule
    I like loud hubs, They are only loud when you are not pedaling so just pedal.

They are real good for getting people you catch on the trail out of your way, They just hear a loud free hub that wasn't there last corner & get out of your way fast.

Sure I wouldn't buy a hub just because it is loud, but If it's a good hub & It's loud all the better, Anything to stop me from being lazy is a good thing.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 12-29-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Doesn't phase me one way or the other. When I buy, I buy quality. If it's loud, it's loud.
    +1

mtbr member
    It's kinda like red shoes and shaving your legs, they indirectly make you faster because you have to measure up to the hype

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    if you do encounter lotsa wildlife/hikers while riding on your regular trail. it does help to make riding safer i guess

nevertheless, loud hubs or silent hubs it does not really matter if hubs are of good quality

would not mind riding with mates with a loud hub, just make sure he/she is riding in front of the pack

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    loud or quiet---i like high poe... with that usually comes some noise.. current hubs ae hadley---kinda loud but worked great..like that they are us made by a small shop with love.. rode them for about 2 years with zero service---so stopped by hadleys shop to see if i could get some advice on how to service them... Mike hadly himself(along with his coolwife suzanne) said to bring them in and he ended up servicing them for me... even swapped out a axle to a newer spec for me..After he seviced them--they are now almost silent and work better then ever--with customer service like that==customer for life.....

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Well I LIKE THEM I like them because my Hopes have great engagement and have lasted thousands of miles with little maintenance. The noise let's all the others I ride with know I'm not pedaling, so pedal faster and when on the trails in the US a quick free wheel and the hikers hear you coming, works like a charm. You can keep those XTs and their lack of versatility,
    I'll take my Pro2s, or any of the other hubs that run sealed bearings and high POE
    - they can run an any axle configuration and have great engagement, none of the fishing for contact when ratcheting through big rock gardens, roots etc.
    You don't really think Hopes have High POE do you ?

I have owned 3 sets of Hope Hubs & not had any problems with any of them.

MTB B'dos
    Yes, yes I do, mine do at least, I ride the Trials/SS hub, has 48 POE

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    You don't really think Hopes have High POE do you ?

I have owned 3 sets of Hope Hubs & not had any problems with any of them.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I love my i9, sure it's loud but look how much I save on the bell, plus I'm not going to know the difference riding thru the trail litter with rattlers
    Saving 20 bucks on a bell is certainly one way to justify spending a grand on a wheelset.

mtbr member
    Personally, I prefer quiet hubs. 4 months ago, I picked up a new set of wheels with Hope hubs. I knew they would be loud. Fast forward 4 months and I don't even notice it while riding. I bring my bike to work twice a week to ride after 5 pm. Not wanting to leave it on the rack all day, I bring it in the office. Several times, while walking down the hallway, co-workers have mentioned how loud it is and if I had cards in my spokes.

mtbr member
    I like loud hubs because having a bell on your bike is annoying, and sneaking up on hikers and slower riders isnt the safest thing ever. I dont notice the noise while actually riding.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by redd4573 View Post
    Yes, why not? I swap my hope set quite a few times, from 9qr to 15qr to 20TA and 24mm(though I don't redish the hub). Kudo to Hope they do make the front very easy to swap out to different format.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    It is asinine, to me, to buy a wheel or hub for the reason that it is loud, noisy, or buzzy.

I do not get it - AT ALL

It's like that honda owner who get's a buzz-box tail-pipe that really does nothing for performance.

I get this logic; "I got this Hadley hub, it's kinda loud, but at least it works great" vs. "can someone recommend me some loud hubs?"

F-off tool! - I'll sneak up and steal your GF like a ninja in the dark with my XT hub

(And, no, that's not Gary Fisher - I don't steal Gary Fishers)
    For Starter, Delll, a Hadley hub is damn quiet when properly maintained and the pawls are in an oil bath, as they should be.... Lack of maintenance makes them noisy, and they are relatively high maintenance hubs. I own two sets of them, and when properly serviced, regularly. I don't hear much out of them at all, as it should be. Noisy hubs, in general, are in need of service.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^ Yeah, I meant Hopes when I wrote that , but they are still 'loud' compared to others - and brands were not meant to be the focus on the OP. ( I have never heard hadleys, sorry )

The focus was on why people actively look for hubs that are loud - or even brag to how loud their new xxx wheels are. - That's what I don't get.

All else being the same, (quality, looks, performance) why would you want LOUD hubs??
    -aside from the 'haha, it's cheaper than a bell'
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast