Thread: WTB Wheels

Super Clyde

WTB Wheels

What are the differences between the different models, mainly the i25, i23, and the i19. I'm building a 29er for my son and I want a relatively light wheel. Lighter than I would get on a stock $1200 hardtail bike anyway. I found a set of i19 TCS with Deore hubs for $120 on fleabay and I'm thinking about buying them. Should I run away or are they a decent wheel? Would i be better served spending a little more money and getting a set of i23 or i25? I want to say $200-$250 is about all the budget i want to allot for the wheels. They don't have to be SUPER durable, it's for a 5'2" 110# 12 year old ridiing light single track for now. Depending on how he progresses I may take him to Pisgah this fall.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    The I23, etc is the inner rim width.
    Frequency Team | WTB

Scroll down for tech explanations.
    Rims | WTB

Super Clyde
    Okay, thanks. Would these wheels be good wheels for the stated purpose?

mtbpete
    The i19 rims have an inner width of 19mm. They plenty good enough for a 110# 12 year old. The only thing to be concerned about is the quality of the build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You say you're looking for a light wheel and the one in that ad is quite heavy. Nearly 2,200g is on the higher end in weight for what's out there. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to spend any more than you said you had planned for a kid anyway. These will be pretty stout wheels. However, 19mm internal width is pretty narrow. What width tires are you planning to run?

Super Clyde

WTB Wheels

I'll probably run 2.20". He shouldn't need a ridiculously wide tire should he?

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.

Rod
    mtbr member

WTB Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    I'll probably run 2.20". He shouldn't need a ridiculously wide tire should he?

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I run a 2.2 on that internal width. 2,200 isn't terribly heavy. An arch ex with Stan's hubs is 1,800 grams, which makes the WTB basically 1 pound heavier across the entire wheelset.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Super Clyde
    I've seen them with XT hubs for about $70 more, would that be a worthwhile upgrade?

Rod
    mtbr member

WTB Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    I've seen them with XT hubs for about $70 more, would that be a worthwhile upgrade?
    I would say yes. I have ridden both hubs, the deore hubs were stock on my Giant XTC, and I owned an xt hub laced to a 717. I found the deore hubs would sometimes slip when I would begin to engage the hub. I would be sitting still, apply pressure to the pedals, and the hub would slip. Then it was fine. I do not know if that's normal or not, I've never had it happen on any other bike I've owned or ridden, but I didn't like it. There may not be enough engagement points and it was between engagement points. Besides this experience, everything was okay. I sold these wheels within a month though due to the hub issue I mentioned and more importantly, I was damaging the soft rim.

I never had any problems with my XT hubs. I didn't even regrease them every year, like I should have, and I put in a lot of miles in terrible conditions. I recommend these without any hesitation. I rode this hub for 3 or 4 years and I got this wheelset used from a friend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    WTB makes great durable wheels but they aren't the lightest. I have a set of the i23 rims on a wheelset and they are great for me. Super durable for my AM 27.5 bike. But for a lightweight beginner mtb rider I'd go with something light. The Notubes Crests are $595 a wheelset - over your budget I know but still a pretty good value as far as wheels go. They are great quality and lightweight at 1585 g per wheelset for the 29er. I have 2 sets of Crests in 27.5 and they are more than durable enough for my wife (a little over your son's weight) and me on a hardtail. My wife, a beginner for mtb fitness, came from the i23 wheelset that I am now riding and said that the difference going to the Crests was 'shocking.' Taking weight off the periphery of the wheels is going to help your son struggle less enjoy the day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    169 for i23 with slx hubs at Jenson
    WTB ST I23 Rim/Shimano SLX 29" Wheelset > Components > Wheels, Tires and Tubes > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA
    About 2200 as well but strong wheelset. Not light though
    2014 Kona Process 111a FS (29er)
    2013 Trek Fuel EX7 FS (26er)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Great price. But I doubt the kid weighs enough or rides hard enough to notice the advantages of wider inner width rims.
    I'd put your money to save weight in the wheels. Get dependable components otherwise. He will notice the difference there more than weight off of other components.

mtbr member
    I picked up a set of KOM I23's with XT hub recently for $220 shipped. The XT hubs are not great compared to what I'm used to. The are not sealed bearings and are known for freehub issues with heavier riders. The free hub is a entire assm from what I saw and 1/2 the cost of a new hub.

I haven't had any issues with mine but after doing some research they probably were not the best hub for me. I doubt you will have freehub issues at your weight.
    14 Banshee Paradox
    13 Banshee Rune
    T1 barcode

Rod
    mtbr member

WTB Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    I picked up a set of KOM I23's with XT hub recently for $220 shipped. The XT hubs are not great compared to what I'm used to. The are not sealed bearings and are known for freehub issues with heavier riders. The free hub is a entire assm from what I saw and 1/2 the cost of a new hub.

I haven't had any issues with mine but after doing some research they probably were not the best hub for me. I doubt you will have freehub issues at your weight.
    I weigh 155 and ran the hubs for years without issues. They're not sealed bearings, but it's not too hard to grease them. You just need a couple of cone wrenches. You cannot argue with the lack of maintenance and durability of good sealed bearing though.