mtbr member

WTB Vulpine - 29 vs 26

I rode the 29" Vulpine on a Felt demo bike and was very impressed. Dirt Rag also gave them a very good write-up. Great, only I don't own a 29" but am interested in the 26" version for my IF steel hardtail.

Anyone know how the 26" rides compared to the 29?" I currently use Hutchinson Piranha which are fast and light but slip on moist rocks.

I am not willing to compromise on the weight issue and have have plenty of knobby tires for my FS. I'm looking for something as light and fast as the Piranha that might grip a little better, especially specifics on the Vulpine 26" vs. 29" I know I like the 29"

Thanks to anyone who has some experience in this area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

... and if we just ... Vulpine 26

I have had both of them. I loved the 26 version so much that I made sure that I got one when I went to a 29er. It is deffinatly a race tire, but if you keep it on the rear and ride in dry conditions you will love how fast it feels

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    I rode the 29" Vulpine on a Felt demo bike and was very impressed. Dirt Rag also gave them a very good write-up. Great, only I don't own a 29" but am interested in the 26" version for my IF steel hardtail.

Anyone know how the 26" rides compared to the 29?" I currently use Hutchinson Piranha which are fast and light but slip on moist rocks.

I am not willing to compromise on the weight issue and have have plenty of knobby tires for my FS. I'm looking for something as light and fast as the Piranha that might grip a little better, especially specifics on the Vulpine 26" vs. 29" I know I like the 29"

Thanks to anyone who has some experience in this area.
    They changed the Vulpine 26 design this year. Slightly more aggressive than the old/29 version. Have not tried it, though.

I found the 29 to be remarkably capable in the dry. Braking suffers, as it does with any semislick.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Thanks

I may give them a try. If they are anything like the 29" on the Felt demo hardtail, I will be quite happy.

mtbr member

I appreciate the input

While this may be a race tire, so are the Piranha's and I used them for some pretty technical riding in NJ. Lots of rocks and I've never damaged them. Braking certainly does suffer on the semi-slicks as I found out when I rode into the bushes on a rocky downhill last night.