mtbr member
    Apr 2011

WTB Vigilante Review

In August of 2013 I mounted up a WTB Vigilante 2.3 Team TCS.
    The Vigilante replaced a Hans Dampf. I found the Hans Dampf to be too light for my weight and terrain; I was tearing off the row of knobs between the center and outer edges. The HD works great on the front through.

I only had 2 "flats" with the WTB, the first was a rusty nail right through the tread when the tire had about 300 miles on it. The hole was too jagged for the stans sealant to close up. I patched this with a panracer rubber plug and never had a lick of problem with that patch.

Today I was noticing that I was not getting the kind of braking performance I was used to. The center knobs were worn down to almost nothing. I decided I'd retire the WTB at the end of the ride. About a quarter mile later I hit a rock and put an inch long slice in the side wall; failure no. 2.

I just checked my strava. I have 1,012 miles on the tire which is a good long way for me. Over all I'm super happy with the tire. Its the only tire I've ever worn out before I damaged it beyond repair. Two thumbs up for the Vigilante.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB Vigilante Review-photo-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    You never say if this is on the front back or both?
    The Vigilante is on my list as possiablle rear tire...so just curious....
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You're right. I kind of implied it in the HD discussion but I never really said it. I had it as a Rear. Vig on the Rear, Dampf on the Front. It's also a 29er, set up tubeless on WTB's i23 rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Seems a lot of people are knocking WTB tires. Not sure why I have been on them for years and currently running a vigilante on the from and Weirwolf in the rear. Awesome set up for the dry terrain in Tahoe and the best combo I have come across. Glad to hear about the durability you got from it. WTB….Thumbs up

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Started usng a vigilante team issue recently. Done a couple days of racing, a few trail rides, and a couple days at keystone bike park. Absolutely love them. Wearing really well, especially for how soft they are. Grip in the loose, blown out stuff or wet is very confidence inspiring. Even pushing are on hard-pack, they hold well.

Used DHF, DHR II, HR II, HD, butchers and these are by far my favorites.

The Fastest of Bananas
    I have one on the shelf, cant wait to try it.

I am currently running butchers, only reason I have swapped yet is I am lazy.

mtbr member
    I switched to a WTB Weirwolf not long ago in back and absolutely love it so far. I tend to chew up rear tires and its held up great.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Glad to hear the vigs are doing well. I just ordered a set of the new trail boss light version. Same basic tread just a bit tighter for quicker roll.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

mtbr member

WTB Vigilante Review

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Vigilante to anyone. I was turned onto it by my wheel builder (dustydukes22) and I love them. Super easy to mount up tubeless as well.

Royalston Mass
    The only problem I'm having with with mine is too much traction in the rear....I can't slid them in the corners...going to try a WTB beeline in the rear next
    Don't argue with idiots...they will take you down to their level and beat you with experience

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertleman View Post
    The only problem I'm having with with mine is too much traction in the rear....I can't slid them in the corners...going to try a WTB beeline in the rear next
    I've got a couple rides in on the new Vig now. I've had to up pressure in the Vig on the rear and drop pressure in the (worn) Dampf on the front. The rear tire was out gripping the front which made for some curious handling.

I also took a dremil tool and ground down the outter edge of outter knobs. This lets the rear drift a little sooner in corners and helps keep the tire from rubbing the chain stays when the wheel deflects.

Royalston Mass
    What pressure are you running and what's your weight?
    Don't argue with idiots...they will take you down to their level and beat you with experience

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    250#

Running 25 pounds in the front, 30 in the rear...tubeless.

mtbr member
    Www.steepandcheap.com has 27.5 for $28