mtbr member
    Nov 2005

WTB TCS Speed rear Wheel hub problem

I recently bought a rear TCS Speed AM wheel on ebay for 58 dollars shipped. Thought I'd gotten a great deal but as soon as I took it out of the box I knew I hadn't. The wheel was advertised as new but it had a coating of red clayish dirt on it and the locknuts on the axle showed signs of wear from being adjusted. Otherwise the wheel was scratch free.

The cheap hub on this wheel uses loose bearings and looks alot like the old Shimano hubs I have lots of experience working on.The Axle was so tight it wouldn't turn so i loosened the cones. When the wheel became loose enough to turn the hub carrier became loose.

I removed the axle and found that the freehub body r was loose on the hub, On most of these there is a bolt inside the hub that tightens the freehub on, but there was nothing I can find that attached the freehub, it was held on by tension from the cone axle.

I adjusted it so that it would spin but still be a bit tight, put a tire and rotor on and went for a ride. while coasting down a hill the axle froze up and spun the locknut off which caused the skewer to snap.

Seller is going to send me a return shipping sticker.

Any ideas what is wrong with this hub?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nice login name. Is it a Molson reference by chance?

Hard to say what is wrong with the hub, but I'm suspicious of the transaction itself given the wheel was already ridden. Don't F around with this and get your money back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    nope just my name.

mtbr member
    Loose freehub bolt. Hubs are cheap Formula type, freehub body usually uses a 11mm or 12mm hex accessed from the non-drive side of the hub to tighten it to the hub body.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hmm I'll try that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Took the wheel back apart and found that it did have a bolt inside, it was on the drive side and it was a standard 10mm In fact the shimano freehubs would fit, same teeth. I can't believe I missed it before,

I couldn't find my big 10mm key, but I did find a small one, tightened it and rode. Seems like it was torqued pretty good. About ten miles into trails it was loose but not falling off loose and luckliy the axle didn't freeze up.

Found my big allen Key so I can torque it and am going to try a little locktite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgholson View Post
    Took the wheel back apart and found that it did have a bolt inside, it was on the drive side and it was a standard 10mm In fact the shimano freehubs would fit, same teeth. I can't believe I missed it before,

I couldn't find my big 10mm key, but I did find a small one, tightened it and rode. Seems like it was torqued pretty good. About ten miles into trails it was loose but not falling off loose and luckliy the axle didn't freeze up.

Found my big allen Key so I can torque it and am going to try a little locktite.
    10mm, that is probably a Joytech hub then...clean the threads real good and use some blue loctite. Let it set up overnight and you should be good.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog