My gloves stink

WTB TCS Nanos- the good and the bad

I've mounted and ridden WTB TCS Nanos on 3 different wheelsets: Bonty RXL TLR, Stans ZTR, and Roval Carbon Control. In all three cases:

GOOD:
    1. The inflate easily with a floor pump.
    2. They grip well in hardpack

BAD:
    1. While they inflate easily, it's VERY difficult to get the bead to seat evenly so that the tire is not "lopsided". I've had this problem with 5 different TCS Nanos on all 3 wheelsets. Yes, I'm using plenty of soap. Even inflating them to 60 psi won't get the entire bead to pop (and I can't go that high on my carbon rims anyway). If I wrestle with it for an hour or so using a vise and tire irons, I can usually get it right, but it's a royal PTA and it's a deal killer AFAIC. I emailed WTB support about the issue and never heard from them. This is unusual because they've responded promptly and helpfully to my previous inquries.
    2. The side knobs start to tear off.
    3. The sidewalls are thin and tear easily.

That's all I have to say about that.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That sounds like a big bag of no to me. Nowadays I expect my tire to be aired up and seated 10 minutes after it comes out of the package. I also expect the knobs to not fall off.

My gloves stink

By comparison- Maxxis Ikon EXO

I did some research and bought a pair of Maxxis Ikon EXO to replace the WTBs. Observations:
    • They are a little easier to mount than the WTBs.
    • They inflate easily with a floor pump.
    • Best of all, the bead pops into place evenly at about 40 psi. After so many frustrating hours spent trying to get the WTBs to seat evenly around the rim, this is a godsend.

I've tried them in loose-over-hardpack, which is what we've got around here, and they work great.

mtbpete
    I have used the WTB tires. What you need to know is that the WTB TCS tire has a UST bead that is much smaller than other brands of tubeless ready tire beads, but the same as any UST tire. So, ideally they are suited for UST rims or many of the tubeless ready rims out there except for NoTubes. Notubes rims are designed to fit tube-type and tubeless ready tires. UST and TCS tires will usually fit on Stan's 26" rims, but UST and TCS are usually impossible to mount on Stan's 29er rims. If you are having trouble seating the TCS tire on a UST rim then call WTB because maybe their tires are a little undersize. Bontrager TLR rims should be close to UST size, but not Roval. If you look up Specialized literature on mounting tires on their rims they only recommend tubeless ready tires for their tubeless ready rims. Specialized also makes UST tires, which they call Grid UST and therefore the same bead size as a TCS tire and are only designed for UST rims. See the Specialized instructions here:
    http://www.specialized.com/media/wha...G0290_revA.pdf

My gloves stink
    Wow, Pete, that's a lot of info- you know a lot of stuff. But how is the average consumer supposed to sort all this out prior to making a purchase? This works with that, but not this. That works with this, but not that. The WTB site says nothing about which rims their tires will and will not work on- neither does the Maxxis, for that matter. The bottom line for me is that the WTBs were a PITA to get to seat evenly on three different brands of rim. Whatever the reason, that's a deal killer as far as I'm concerned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage View Post
    Wow, Pete, that's a lot of info- you know a lot of stuff. But how is the average consumer supposed to sort all this out prior to making a purchase? This works with that, but not this. That works with this, but not that. The WTB site says nothing about which rims their tires will and will not work on- neither does the Maxxis, for that matter. The bottom line for me is that the WTBs were a PITA to get to seat evenly on three different brands of rim. Whatever the reason, that's a deal killer as far as I'm concerned.

Nano | Wilderness Trail Bikes

it says on their website that the TCS version of the nano's has a square bead for UST. so then you take the TCS nano and put it on non-UST rims and then complain about them not sealing up. another darwin award! hahaha

if i were WTB i would told you screw off.

mtbr member
    I used these on my ti hardtail for a couple of months, they are terrible for the Colorado front range. Sidewalls are waaaay to thin, and the grip is liable to washout at any time on you.

I had great luck with Spec Captain Controls and also Maxxis Ardents.

My gloves stink
    Quote Originally Posted by hobiesmith View Post
    Nano | Wilderness Trail Bikes

it says on their website that the TCS version of the nano's has a square bead for UST. so then you take the TCS nano and put it on non-UST rims and then complain about them not sealing up. another darwin award! hahaha

if i were WTB i would told you screw off.
    Read it again. I didn't complain about them sealing up- they seal up great every time with a floor pump. I complained that it's very difficult to get the bead to seat evenly all the way around the rim. (I also griped about the thin sidewalls). If their TCS tires are compatible only with UST rims, which seems to be your point, shouldn't they say that directly? They don't: TCS | Wilderness Trail Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage View Post
    Read it again. I didn't complain about them sealing up- they seal up great every time with a floor pump. I complained that it's very difficult to get the bead to seat evenly all the way around the rim. (I also griped about the thin sidewalls). If their TCS tires are compatible only with UST rims, which seems to be your point, shouldn't they say that directly? They don't: TCS | Wilderness Trail Bikes
    ya not sealing up, seat evenly. whatever. i get your point. but you seem to lack some common sesne here. reading comprehension, whatever you wanna call it.

that page you posted mentioned "UST" three different times. it says its shaped like a UST tire, it says Mavic made it official and all. wtb tells you it has a square bead on it. doesnt that make you ask what kind of bead is on non-UST tires?

how much more of a clue do you need to know its a UST tire. the link i posted up says its based on UST tire.

sometimes things can't be spelled out for you for all sorts of reasons, this is where some commons sense comes into play and take responsiblity for your own life's descisions.

"UST" is quoted all over the page you posted and the page i posted. its as straight foward as it can be.

yet after all your resarch, you buy this tire and mount it to a non-ust rim and then have the nerve to complain about it.

and don't get me started on how stupid it is to complain about "thin sidewall". you buy a 450 gram race tire. gee? i wonder where they saved the weight. obvioulsy, there are poeple that want this light wieght of tire and know what they are getting into when they buy this type of tire. if you wanna run a tire that weighs 2x as much so you can have your "thicker sidwall" then go ahead. that's why there are choices for different applications. just because this tire doesnt meet your riding requirements doesnt give mean you can complain about it being "too" anyting.

you have a large lack of perspecitve and understanding

mtbr member
    Try the Nano Race version.

Mine mounted effortlessly on stans arches with a floor pump and after riding them they hold air well.

I'm blown away by how fast they roll. Road bike fast. I'm using them for gravel roads/pavement and smooth single track.

As far as durability, mine have about 300 miles and they look brand new. The fellow who holds to the record for the tour divide used these, and didn't change tires once.

These are awesome tires--get the right ones and enjoy.

My gloves stink

Hobiesmith, how did you guess I'm a welfare queen?

Dang, Hobie, I'm impressed how quickly you figured out that I'm an idiot who doesn't take responsibility for my decisions. However, I guess you missed the part on the WTB TCS info page where they sell rim tape so you can use them on "traditional rims". Hey, no worries mang, I know what it's like to have poor reading comprehension. Also the part: "Our TCS™ (Tubeless Compatible System) technology is the solution for riders seeking high performance, lightweight and durable mountain bike wheel systems that are easy to install, fun to ride and simple to service." Since I can't be the only WTB customer who's not as smart as you, maybe they should reword it thusly: "Our TCS™ (Tubeless Compatible System) technology is the solution for riders using UST rims seeking high performance, lightweight and durable mountain bike wheel systems that are easy to install, fun to ride and simple to service."

Nor does it say anything about UST-only on the retail packaging or the sidewall of the tires.