mtbr member
    May 2007

WTB TCS or Caffelatex feedback

Looking for an alternative to Stan's that is commercially available. Any feedback on the WTB and Caffelatex systems? Thanx.

Former Bike Wrench
    The TCS system is made to UST standards (rumor has it that WTB is actually trying to get UST certification) so that any UST or Tubeless Ready tire meeting UST standards should mount up problem free.

Caffelatex system is nothing more than tape and valve stems, with some rims and tires it will work fine but there is no "standard" that it conforms to. The Gorilla Tape tubeless method is basically the same and a lot cheaper.

mtbr member
    Why not just make your own? All components available a local shops, and cheaper. I'm using a combination of the following:

-Mold Builder or comparable liquid latex (arts crafts store like Michaels)
    -Green Slime (Walmart)
    -PEAK RV Biodegradable Antifreeze (Walmart)

I also optionally add some tiny glitter particles (Glamour Dust from arts crafts store) to assist in sealing small holes.

Works great and you can easily tweak the formula depending on your particular needs and climate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    Why not just make your own? All components available a local shops, and cheaper. I'm using a combination of the following:

-Mold Builder or comparable liquid latex (arts crafts store like Michaels)
    -Green Slime (Walmart)
    -PEAK RV Biodegradable Antifreeze (Walmart)

I also optionally add some tiny glitter particles (Glamour Dust from arts crafts store) to assist in sealing small holes.

Works great and you can easily tweak the formula depending on your particular needs and climate.
    Any ratios to start off with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996
    Any ratios to start off with?
    I don't think I've ever really measured it out, it's sorta like cooking when it's ready you just know lol. But if I had to come up with ratios:

20% liquid latex
    20% slime
    60% anti-freeze*

*If you don't have to worry about freezing temps, you can replace the anti-freeze with water.

I usually just start with equal parts latex and slime, and then add anti-freeze until it has the consistency I like, which is usually on the runnier side. Too thick and it dries up much quicker and won't slosh around enough to do it's job.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

I have never dealt with Stan's / Caffelatex before...

Is your consistency like milk, or more like a yogurt smoothie drinks ( I realize that's a weird reference)...any known liquid I could measure it against?

mtbr member
    Thanks!

I have never dealt with Stan's / Caffelatex before...

Is your consistency like milk, or more like a yogurt smoothie drinks ( I realize that's a weird reference)...any known liquid I could measure it against?
    I was actually trying to think of a liquid that has the same consistency but was drawing a blank. I think one of those smoothie drinks is probably close if we're thinking of the same thing, maybe even a bit thinner.

mtbr member

CaffeLatex sealant is crap.

I tried CaffeLatex sealant, and it is not worth a darn at sealing punctures.

I had a pretty good size cactus spine in a tire. Almost as big as a pencil lead. My tire went low during the ride, and I spotted it, but left it in until I got home.

In my garage I pulled it out, and 3 full scoops of CaffeLatex proceeded to shoot out the hole onto my garage floor as I frantically shaked the tire attempting to seal it. All the sealant shot out, and the tire went flat.

So I removed the tire, and hosed it out, and then mixed up some mold builder/ATV Slime/RV Antifreeze homebrew. I inflated the tire and it was hissing air out the hole until I turned the hole to the bottom, and it went "thiiiippp" and was sealed. Barely lost a drop of sealant. That was the end of my CaffeLatex usage.

I now call it CrappeExlax. Seeing as it seems to resemble someone with projectile diarrhea.

mtbr member
    I think I'm gonna try the homebrew route. Do you have to use the ATV Slime, or will any work?

There shouldn't be any delamination issues, correct? Also, what are you guys using to put it in with, syringe?

How much are you typically using..similar to Stan's recommendations?

Former Bike Wrench
    Use the slime designed for tubeless tires (the stuff with black particles in it)...Bicycle, ATV, Auto...it's the same formula as long as it's for tubeless

mtbr member
    I think I'm gonna try the homebrew route. Do you have to use the ATV Slime, or will any work?

There shouldn't be any delamination issues, correct? Also, what are you guys using to put it in with, syringe?

How much are you typically using..similar to Stan's recommendations?
    The tubeless Slime is better as mtnbiker said, seems to have more particles, but sometimes I mix both types of slime. The tube version of slime does have very small particles that can assist in sealing up the tire initially. Even new tires sometimes have very small pores on the sidewalls that need to be sealed, and the tube version can help with this. If you're only going to use one kind though definitely go with the tubeless.

There's a couple ways to add the mixture.

If you're sealing a tire for the first time, the easiest way is to install the tire onto the rim almost all the way, but leave a small section of the tire off the rim on the bottom. Then just pour in the desired amount, rotate the wheel so the opening is at the top to avoid dumping any mixture out, and pop the rest of the tire on.

The other way is to completely install the tire onto the rim, then unscrew the valve stem core and use the clear tube that comes with the slime to pump the mixture in through the valve. Then reinstall the valve core. I use shrader tubes to make my rim strips so it works well using that method since the clear slime tube is sized for standard shrader/automotive valve. I don't know if this method is possible with presta valves.

I normally use about as much as stans recommends, maybe a little more since it ends up being thicker than stans and clings a bit more. I like to have enough so you can hear a fair amount sloshing around inside the tire when shaken.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    There are a couple of slightly older threads that deal with the ineffectiveness of CaffeLatex. I've posted my findings there, and the US importer also chimes in unconvincingly.

Overall, a product best avoided.