mtbr member
    Mar 2007

WTB SX24 making me say W.T.F......lol

ok so i just picked up an Iron Horse Warrior Expert for 499 at Randall Scotts and it has the WTB SX24 rims on it. What is the largest size tire I can fit on it safely. I can not find any data on the rim at all anywhere, that compounded by the fact that i don't know anything about tubeless tires is making it very hard for me to get a back up pair of tire. The markings are WTB SX24......559 x 17 the tire says 26 x 49/54....now I assume that 559 is me dia. and the 17 is the inside wall dist. and the 24 in "sx24" in the exterior dist? if this is correct do i have a 24mm or 17mm rim. any help would be nice

Thanks
    Shawn

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by olfajarley
    ok so i just picked up an Iron Horse Warrior Expert for 499 at Randall Scotts and it has the WTB SX24 rims on it. What is the largest size tire I can fit on it safely. I can not find any data on the rim at all anywhere, that compounded by the fact that i don't know anything about tubeless tires is making it very hard for me to get a back up pair of tire. The markings are WTB SX24......559 x 17 the tire says 26 x 49/54....now I assume that 559 is me dia. and the 17 is the inside wall dist. and the 24 in "sx24" in the exterior dist? if this is correct do i have a 24mm or 17mm rim. any help would be nice

Thanks
    Shawn
    The rim has a 17mm inside width (~24mm outside). You can use pretty much any width tire you want though some riders do not like the widest tires on a rim that narrow.

It is not a tubeless rim and not designed to be used with tubeless tires and/or without an inner tube.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    the tires say "to fit hook bead rims" thats why i thought it was tubeless, thanks for the help

Shawn

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by olfajarley
    the tires say "to fit hook bead rims" thats why i thought it was tubeless, thanks for the help

Shawn
    All current mtb rims are hook bead.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Piggybacking on that, can you user very narrow width tires on those rims? i.e, 1", 1.4" (Ritchey Tom Slick)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    so did u end up converting it to tubeless? if so what did u end up with? cheers...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c33 View Post
    so did u end up converting it to tubeless? if so what did u end up with? cheers...
    I've done WTB 2.35 and 2.10s on this wheel... just an FYI