mtbr member

WTB Stryker TCS XC 29er feedback?

These are for sale everywhere, but can't seem to find much personal feedback in regards to ease of set up and with what tires and burp resistance, trueness, durablity, hub quality etc etc???

Anyone in the MTBR community using these? :

Former Bike Wrench
    My guess is that there are few if any running these because they are WAY overpriced...you can literally build almost identical wheels for $250 less

WTB Stryker wheels

mtbr member
    Thx mtnbiker72- I went to the universal site, and built, but didn't see a weight calculator. The significant difference is the dimensions of the Laser vs Stryker rims, with the former being wider, thus must be heavier...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    yes, I was looking at those wheels too, they are nice looking and very light but come on ,
    $ 1000 dollars for that? Just the rear wheel cost as much as a new pair of STAN's Crest ( $ 480/ 500) Of course now you can find them on sale becouse no body want to spend that ammount of money when you can buy nice wheels at a great price like Stans Crest, Flow $500 or the AmericanClassic for $ 700/800.
    But I really like WTB as a company good and solid prodocts.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

If you lace them yourself you'll save $700.......

Rims at $55 each thats, $110.
    WTB Laser TCS 29er Rim - Outside Outfitters
    erd=604

Hubs, Shimano XT M756 front and rear for $110
    Shimano Deore XT M756 Disc Hub at JensonUSA.com

Spokes, Dt Alpine III with brass nipples, 294mm $80....
    DT-Swiss Alpine III Spokes (Black) - Outside Outfitters

I know these are not the best hubs but with the alpine III spokes they will suffice and if the cassette body goes like in any other high end hub they're easy the switch out and inexpensive.

usually cranky
    but some up on universal just to see the price- ~$700 using cx ray spokes, wtb hubs, and wtb tcs hoops. could use wheelsmith db spokes to save some cash too. sure beats over $900 they want for a set of factory strykers.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Thx mtnbiker72- I went to the universal site, and built, but didn't see a weight calculator. The significant difference is the dimensions of the Laser vs Stryker rims, with the former being wider, thus must be heavier...
    The Stryker XC wheels use the Laser TCS Cross Country rim, and the weight is given at 385g on the WTB website...there is zero difference in dimensions.

mtbr member
    Ah , I see mtnbiker- you're talking 26er, I'm talking 29er.

Universal doesn't offer the equivalent TCS XC rims in both diameters; the Laser TCS 29er available for build is a Trail at 21/26 mm wide, and the 26 is offered in XC version at 19/23 mm ( but they do offer trail 26 also), which is the same widths as the Stryker 29 TCS XC's, which just has a longer circumference.

None the less, if the proportions hold, a 29 Laser TCS Trail set build would only be 140g heavier and cost $723 at Universal, but still $105 more then my delivered and albeit factory assembled Strykers that I ordered on a great promo deal , and $19 more than the current offer at the same shop. But yea, I'd rather have them build up fresh at Universal given my druthers, especially if the lighter 29er rim was available.
    Last edited by Noclutch; 10-15-2011 at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member

Finally got 'em

It took a while, got a good deal of $620 delivered from Green tire, before they folded(?) Also had to get one exchanged thru WTB because of a decal defect. Mike at WTB was awesome!

Weight- as advertised @1600g set taped/valve, 15mm front. Trimmed some excess tape riding up the bead vertical.
    Tire mounting- keep in mind I'm a noob MTB tire mounter. I was just able to tool-free hand mount new 2.25 Ralphs which bothered me a bit... ( usually had to use a lever or two on 2.4's on my Dusters). Hand pumped up with some side wall pulling and somewhat fast and furious pumping. Bead set at a slightly lower pressure than expected (about 25 psi?) but satisfying clean crack sound. My impression is not as solid a bead set as on the Bonty's though (those popped on with a startling pop at about 40 psi and are sometimes are a bear to un-seat) Used 2 scoops of Stans. Did the usual rolling and shaking. Only lost 2-3# overnight on the front. Set up the rear pre-ride and lost 12# within 6 hrs post ride Think a re-taping in my near future as several nipples looked moist dust caked and one bead was wet.

Ride- between the wheel set weighing about 500g less, fresh and lighter tires(2) 190g less, slightly higher pressures out of paranoia- 25-27# vs my usual 23-24# ( weigh 160 geared up), a *perceptibly* stiffer wheel, the "new parts jones" and my usual pre ride Monster coffee drink ....I was flying today! The ride was a bit less cush than the 2.4's, last-second acceleration was very apparently much easier, steering tracking much more accurate. Hub engagement is crisper than my shimano 529 and slightly noisier, fwiw. The rear did get out of true a couple mm during this ride, front stayed good.

So my initial impression is favorable, largely based on weight savings though I don't really like the tape (vs plastic rim strip) idea and I'm hoping that after a truing they'll stay that way . My Bontys that weighed a pound more only needed one truing and 2 spokes in 3k miles and never spooged...
    Last edited by Noclutch; 11-12-2011 at 08:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Greetings, are we here talking about the: WTB Stryker Tcs XC Race 29" wheel set 2012 version? I am going to buy new wheel set for my 29er HT, now I am looking for the best ones and these are really high on my possible options list. Now they are for good price. Yes, weight is claimed at 1600g. If I read correctly, rim weight is 385g, quite a bit more then the rim on American Classic MTB 29" that also weigh 1600g where the rim weight is 350g (I don't mean the RACE version, that rim is 340g). If I got these numbers right, what makes the WTB Stryker Tcs XC Race 29" wheel set so light??? Hub and spokes (spokes they claim are 25% lighter than normal ones thanx to their technology, but it can't make such difference)?
    What about the hubs on the Striker wheels? Are they good quality and do they roll flawlessly?
    Last edited by EOS_; 12-18-2012 at 06:43 AM.

mtbr member
    The hubs are basically American Classic...same freehub body, pawls, etc. The spokes are bladed similar to the Sapim CX-Ray spokes so there is about 80-100g savings per 64 over a standard 2.0/1.8 double butted spoke. The rims are actually listed at 435g for the 29" version.

Both the AC and WTB hubs, being almost identical, roll very well due to quality bearings and a very low drag freehub mechanism. The one downside if it matters to you is that they tend to engage slowly (they are 24 poe but feel more like a 16-18 poe hub). Once they engage they are solid.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I dont have the strykers but I have the TCS Trail 29er wheels. I got them from chainlove for $240 man what a deal. I'm 250lbs so the added weight = proper durability for a guy my size. I'm new to MTB and have been beating on thesfor a few rides and so far so good. So again, while I don't have the same wheels I can speak to part of the question which is about the TCS setup. It's great, super easy to use and setup. I set mine up with GEAX Mezcal TNT and simply took a sponge and soapy water and went over the inside of the tires bead along with the inside of the rim. mounted the tire up and pumped away and VOILA, beads snapped into place without issue. I then let the air out and used my stans injector to fill them with sealant. spun the wheel around a bit to get the sealant all around and then pumped them up again. zero problems holding air. I've built a lot of sets of road wheels in my day and was planning on building my own 29er wheels until I saw this deal. In the future I'll definately be considering these wtb rims if I do a build.