inner peace to make peace

New question here. wtb, rear disk hub: Hope XC or DT Swiss 240?

wtb, rear disk hub: Hope XC, Hope Pro II, or DT Swiss 240 on a
    new Mavic XM819Disk UST rim (32Ho')?
    [edited: I just realized how much Phil Wood Disk hub costs!]
    Last edited by TrailNut; 11-04-2006 at 09:28 PM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Phil Wood hubs may cost a lot, but it'll be the last disc hub you ever need to buy. WTB hubs have a very unreliable (and rightly so) reputation. DT's are great and Hopes are decent as well.
    What about XTR, reliable, reasonable weight and fully adjustable and rebuildable cup and cone bearings! No cheap cartridge bearings that are a pain in the ass to service.
    Also look at White Industries hubs. Good quality for reasobable prices.

Don't touch me!
    If your trails are sloppy, scratch out the WTBs. I have a couple sets, and the seals are minimal. Have never had problems with them; I don't ride in the muck and I believe the problems were sorted out in the 2nd gen. In reality the AC hubs are the ones to watch out for.

I've had good experiences with my Hope Bulb rear, so I'd recommend the ProIIs. Of course I've never ridden the 240s, or the PIIs for that matter. The Hopes have a little quicker engagement. Don't know your price range, but with the price difference between the two you could go all out (CXRays) with the spokes.
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

New question here. Phil Wood Disk hub, CXRays

berkeley elcerrito orinda trails in the winter are sloppy
    never heard of CXRays, will look into them
    the more I think about Phil Wood Disk hub ($350, from web-retailers), the more I'm wondering "why not...."
    Last edited by TrailNut; 11-08-2006 at 07:29 PM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    berkeley elcerrito orinda trails in the winter are sloppy
    never heard of CXRays, will look into them
    the more I think about Phil Wood Disk hub $420), the more I'm wondering "why not...."
    What about CK or the new to come I9 hubs? The CK Iso are like 350, and the classic for a little less? I just don't know how they will compare to the Phil Wood.

I'm going to go with Hope Bulb in the rear and Pro II on front...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm currently having some CC wheels built up and going Hope XC up front and Hope Pro II in the rear. Both are great hubs from what I hear. If I had extra coin, I would have gone Kings or DT Swiss.

Grand Poobah
    Oct 2005
    I have a lot of good brands of hubs. I have a Hope XC, Chris Kings, Phil Woods, Rohloff... I got Hope XC front only, so I cannot attest to the quality of the freehub mechanism. They are nice sealed-bearing CNC'd hubs. Phil Wood is definitely a step above them, though. If you are able to budget for it, get the Phil Wood hub. Look at a Chris King as well. I have a set of Phil Wood track hubs. I would go for them for singlespeed/track hubs every time. The Chris King engineering is much more preferrable for a cassette hub, however. Either one should last you a lifetime if you pay attention to them.

well, since i'll be buying our son a pair of Mavic Crossmax SLR wheelset w/MP3 warrenty (or what ever set he wants) as soon as we see his transcript with the agreed results, in late December, so I figure I also deserve the best: I'm muddlin' over the toughts of Hope Pro II (lighter then XC, good overall value) vs. Phil Wood (540grams... dang!..about a half a # more). Since I weigh 190#s and enjoy "moderate" xc jumps and drop offs, XM819Disk rim's definately for me, but I still have major delusions about getting back to my old racing weight... so it's not the coins that are weighing in my mind...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What about White Industries. The rear hub with a ti freehub body weighs 305 grams, has a steel axle for strength and big 60mm diameter flanges.