mtbr member
    Feb 2011

New question here. wtb prowler mx race tire

has anyone have some input about these tires.heard they were fast and had good cornering traction

mtbr member
    Used the 2.1 wire and cable bead versions, good tire. Maybe a tad heavy for racing, but good pinch flat protection and good cornering grip. Great for trail and XC.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    thanks for the info going to try folding yersion

mtbr member
    Anyone tried them in the 2.3 size? What were their actual measurements?

Any success stories of running them (specifically the Race version which isn't UST) on ZTR rims tubeless?

mtbr member
    I'm running the Prowler MX race 2.3 as a front on my Stumpjumper and I love it. I've mostly used Specialized tires in the past but wanted to try something different. The bike came with The Captain 2.0 tires front and back. I would wash out the front tire a lot with the Captains. The Prowler holds a loose corner far better. Works great in mud with the big spacing between the large nobs. The only down side is when I half to ride on pavement it gets a little rough and noisy. My confidence has definitely improved since the switch.

As to the size the WTB website lists the actual casing a tread width in millimeters. I haven't put a ruler on it to confirm as that doesn't really matter to me.

I run them with tubes as low as 25 psi (I'm 165 lbs.) but I have no experience with tubeless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Im running 2 prowler MX 2.5s, the folding bead version. The rear is mounted tubeless w/ a stans strip on a forte xenduro rim. I tried the same setup on the front but could never get the bead to seal, so it has a tube in it. I dont claim to be an expert in setting up tubeless tires, but there are definitely easier tires to deal with if youre running ghetto tubeless.

mtbr member
    bengxe, could you measure the actual size at the casing and the outer knobs for the 2.5 (and on which rim btw)? I'm curious if the manufaturer's claimed GMS specs can be trusted. I don't really think that I'll need a 2.5 (2.3 should suffice), but just to compare.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I will tonight when I get home. They run small, I suspect the 2.5 is more like a true 2.3.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The casing measures 2.23, and the widest point of the tread is 2.45. This is on a 28mm forte xenduro rim.

mtbr member
    That's basically the size I actually need. The 2.3 will likely be too small. Thanks, I'll be looking at the 2.5 now. It's quite heavy though.

Strange enough though, I can't find the 2.5 model at the WTB website. There's also no such item in the CRC products list, there are only 2.3 and 2.1. I wonder if it's discontinued now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yea, it seems that the only 2.5s still available are the team DH version, which is even heavier.

Go-ride.com seems to have the single ply version still.
    http://www.go-ride.com/ProductDetail...C79-1236448556

I'm with stupid
    The newer 2.3 and the 2.5 are pretty close to the same size. 2.3 just a tiny bit smaller. The 2.5 also has a more compact tread pattern then the 2.1 and 2.3. The current 2.1 ans 2.3 have more open tread pattern and do better in the loose then the 2.5. I have run all 3 but dont have them mounted up at this time. just giving you a bit of food for thought.