all about the ride down
    Apr 2008

WTB Mutano Raptor 2.24 opinions?

I picked up a pair of 2.24 Mutano Raptors at the end of the last season. I haven't had the chance to ride them.
    What are the thoughts of those who have?

What type of terrain/trail conditions have you used them on?
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

LDH
    mtbr member
    I think the 2.24's are are taller knob (heavier)version of the 2.4's. The 2.4's grip well and roll fast so i would think the 2.24's would have a little more grip and more tread drag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by split.therapy
    I picked up a pair of 2.24 Mutano Raptors at the end of the last season. I haven't had the chance to ride them.
    What are the thoughts of those who have?

What type of terrain/trail conditions have you used them on?
    Very predictable, with a nice square profile. I've used these on rocky trails, hard-pack and loam. Just as large as the 2.4 Mutano I bought for the front, but with bigger knobs.

I'm not sure that they're all that fast, though. I came in dead last at the Tour of the White Mountains the year before last wearing these tires .
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    Got out today for the second ride on my Mutano's. Rode in a good mix of conditions. Super buff singletrack, rocks, mud and fireroad. I think I have a new favorite tire. Smooth rolling, fun, pretty fast and great traction on all the climbs.

mini clyde
    fantastic tire, as long as the trail is dry. I've nearly wiped on wet asphalt on these things, though, so I ride something else when it rains.

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eedavis
    fantastic tire, as long as the trail is dry. I've nearly wiped on wet asphalt on these things, though, so I ride something else when it rains.
    Can't ride here in the rain. There is bentonite in the soil. It cakes on your drivetrain so bad you can't pedal. When it dries it's like mortar. Mud here is like wet dirt or full on axle grease. Mud I rode today was just wet dirt.

Rain is actually kind of a novelty anyway.