The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

New question here. WTB Mutano 2.4, West Texas Loose/Rocky?

I am looking for a REAR tire to replace a Specialized Purgatory 2Bliss tire. The terrain I ride in is very loose and rocky (see pics below, the bottom pic is about as firm as it gets). I liked the Purgatory well enough, but I want to try something new. I am concerned with climbing traction in the loose and cornering on the downhills, also in the loose (there really isn't anything but loose...)

Anybody have experience with the WTB Mutano? Does it have tough sidewalls? I generally cut sidewalls well before the tire is worn out.

Do WTB tires run true to the published size? I can almost fit a Specialized 2.4 in the rear (Specialized Enduro), but not quite. I have heard this tire runs a bit small.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'd recommend 'em. I bought them off chainlove for the Tahoe Sierra 100 and ended up liking them so much that they stayed on til last weekend. I ran them front and rear tubeless (~27 psi) and didn't have any problems with the sidewalls on somewhat similar conditions. I found the cornering very good and ran the rear the same direction as the front to try and gain some speed, but it did slip a little on climbs as a result.

The 2.2 is actually heavier than the 2.4 because the knobs are taller. They roll reasonably fast, are cushy due to large volume, and are very confidence inspiring in all but mud.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I've used both, & have the 2.4 on a 317 rim. It measures 2&3/16" at the widest point.
    I run them only in the damp winter smooth trails here in So.Cal. Not really enough traction in the summer for me.
    For the conditions you're showing I'd run the 2.24, deeper tread pattern for that loose stuff, & I don't like em for the front ever, just me..
    Can't comment on sidewalls, I never rip-em

mtbr member
    I've run both.

The 2.24 is much tougher than the 2.4. I've given up on the 2.4 because I cut them, but my 120lb girlfriend never cuts them.

I run them ghetto tubeless.

I do not like them on the front.

I like them a lot on the rear. I find that they work much better when run BACKWARDS on the rear. They act like a little paddle tire with good floatation.

They wear relatively quick but have excellent grip, especially on off camber surfaces.

Chainlove had them for $16 each a while back. I bought a dozen (they limit you to 6 so I called my girlfriend and had her order another 6 before the deal ended).

$25 is about the most I'd pay for this tire. At the current $35 pricepoint price I don't think they would be worth it because they wear so fast.

Hope this helps.
    -MitchB

Flaccid Member
    Never liked the 2.4 on the rear, very flimsy sidewall. I got tons of flats with these. Forget about running them up front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mb300
    Chainlove had them for $16 each a while back. I bought a dozen (they limit you to 6 so I called my girlfriend and had her order another 6 before the deal ended).

$25 is about the most I'd pay for this tire. At the current $35 pricepoint price I don't think they would be worth it because they wear so fast.
    Does that mean you'll sell them to him for $25/EA? Haha