mtbr member
    May 2006

WTB LaserDisc Lite Rear Hub Engagement

I have a 2009 Giant Anthem X1 that came with the WTB LaserDisc Lite hubs. I have about 400km on this wheel set and I have started to notice that every once in a while the rear hub rotates quite a bit, seems like about 90 degrees or more, before engaging. This does not happen every time but it has happened enough to think there must be a problem with it. Before taking it back to my lbs is there a simple fix for this?
    Has anyone else had this problem with the WTB LaserDisc Lite rear hub?
    There is no excess play in the bearings and the hub spins forever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My guess is there may be too much or too thick of grease in the ratchet paws. It's pretty easy to disassemble. I use a light coating of automatic transmission fluid on mine. My lbs uses Shimano mineral oil. There is a post here that does a great job of explaining the service procedure...I'll try to find it. But I would take it back to your shop if the bike is fairly new. Just in case...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the quick reply mto367. I did a search but either missed that one or didn't use the right search criteria. I have d/l the service document from WTB and it looks straight forward.
    I'll take a look in there and see if the grease is the likely culprit.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I found the post you were talking about moto367. I had to use google search to find a post on MTBR. I don't know about other users but I hate the search engine on this site. It pretty much sucks in my opinion.

Anyway Jerk_Chicken's post is exactly what I was looking for. Pics and instructions with feedback from other users to make the job very easy.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs
    I found the post you were talking about moto367. I had to use google search to find a post on MTBR. I don't know about other users but I hate the search engine on this site. It pretty much sucks in my opinion.

Anyway Jerk_Chicken's post is exactly what I was looking for. Pics and instructions with feedback from other users to make the job very easy.
    Here's a link to the thread WTB Laser Disc Lite rear hub Servicing pics
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times