mtbr member
    Apr 2008

WTB LaserDisc Lite hubs, good or avoid them?

i'm gearing up to build up a new 29er wheel set with possibly Flows but am currently doing my research on potential hubs. the wheel set will go on a hardtail ridden on aggressive XC trails and i weigh around 200 lbs.

WTB LaserDisc Lite hubs are currently peaking my interest due to their weight and reasonable costs but reviews seem to be split between love 'em or hate 'em.

have their newer hubs fixed the freehub issues? should i just avoid them all together?

what are folk's experience with these hubs or any stories you've heard of them.

thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    2.5 years on mine with 0 problems. I only weigh 145lbs, but they're on my training wheelset that see all kinds of nasty conditions.
    2014 Seven Ti geared bike (in the womb!)
    2012 Seven Ti SS
    2012 Seven Steel SS w/rigid fork

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    hmm...i like the sound of 2.5 years of trouble free hubs, thanks Fueledbymetal!

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Another happy user.

I've got 2 fronts, and 1 rear. The rear has been relaced once into a new wheel. Mohican tried to eat that wheel.

No abnormal play, the cassette carrier was not excessively notched when replacing cassettes. Still spins smoothly, and pretty light for the buck.

I'm right around 200 lbs, and rode XC in the Mid-west. Typically ridden on decent days, no downpours or powerwashes.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just what I wanted to hear as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bloo
    i'm gearing up to build up a new 29er wheel set with possibly Flows but am currently doing my research on potential hubs. the wheel set will go on a hardtail ridden on aggressive XC trails and i weigh around 200 lbs.

WTB LaserDisc Lite hubs are currently peaking my interest due to their weight and reasonable costs but reviews seem to be split between love 'em or hate 'em.

have their newer hubs fixed the freehub issues? should i just avoid them all together?

what are folk's experience with these hubs or any stories you've heard of them.

thanks in advance!
    I've had a set for about 4 years. Never had any problems with them. I highly recommend them, particularly if you're on a budget.

mtbr member
    i am on my second year with them laced to arches on a rigid 29er commuting and trail riding with no problems whatsoever and i would echo what has been said so far.

most the complaints i have heard about them are related to poor engagement. not an issue for me and what i am using them for but it might be for some. IMO their biggest strength is bang for your buck in the weight department. i bought them on a clearance deal from CRC a while back and have seen them around for cheap a few times since.

ronbo613
    I've had them on my Giant Trance X for a couple seasons. Overall, they are pretty good hubs, with one major issue; the aluminum freehub can get pretty chewed up in a fairly short time.
    If you are a lighter rider on an XC bike, they should work out fine. If you are a heavier person and ride lots of uphills and more severe terrain, the freehub will get notched by the cassette and worn down by the metal pawls fairly quickly.
    The freehubs cost about $80 to replace, but the replacement I got looked to be a little beefier than the original. Too bad they don't make a stainless steel or titanium replacement freehub like Hope and Chris King.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ive rode mine for a season and like them, but I had to file down the notches in the body...aggresive XC riding.

addicted to chunk
    I rode one season on them, came on my '09 Trance X2. No issues, seemed to be fine. My friend now rides the bike & he hasn't had any issues either.
    Riding.....

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    If you get a cassette XT or higher you SHOULD not have as many problems with the cassette digging into the freehub. A better cassette spreads the load over a much bigger area by connecting most of the rings. If the rings aren't connected it will definitely chew up the aluminum freehub. I use this hub with an XT cassette without problems. I weight 160 and ride aggressive XC and race.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    this is great feedback, thank you all so much!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo
    most the complaints i have heard about them are related to poor engagement.
    i figure engagement is probably slightly better than my current XT756 hub, on top of that half the weight, i think i'm going the right route with these hubs.

thanks again!

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    WTB wheels treat me better than my more expensive ones.