mtbr member

WTB Laser TCS Fail

I purchased this wheel set in 12-2012... I'm hoping that WTB will recognize this failure within their two year warranty period as posted on their web site.....Spoke bed came apart next to the weld.

* Has anyone else experienced a failure like this?

* Did WTB honor their warranty? I will get in contact with them tomorrow and follow up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB Laser TCS Fail-image.jpg  

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for posting that. I have the same rims as an extra set I use for older tires on more street oriented rides. I really like them. I hope they cover that repair, keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Crazy thing is, this wheel failed under the weight of my 130 lb. Daughter on her Santa Cruz Superlight. Easy cross country ride......No sign of any impact anywhere on the wheel.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Just out of curiosity, did you or a shop ever true wheel? I ask to determine if spoke tension was ever over done. WTB seems to have great reputation in warranty dept. good luck.

mtbr member
    ^^^No.....Wheel set was barely used, still on the first tire mounted. Never trued, ran right out of the box. 130 lb. rider. I am fairly certain that the failure has something to do with the weld, seam is right next to the failed area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    ^^^No.....Wheel set was barely used, still on the first tire mounted. Never trued, ran right out of the box. 130 lb. rider. I am fairly certain that the failure has something to do with the weld, seam is right next to the failed area.
    Pretty sure the seam should be between the spokes, not lined up with an eyelet.. Is there a bunch of loose spokes around the wheel or does it have good tension?

I've had heavy strikes, where somehow a brick sized rock gets kicked up, and thought the rim would be ruined but it was fine.. that's a big hole, hope they take care of it
    With pleasure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Pretty sure the seam should be between the spokes, not lined up with an eyelet.. Is there a bunch of loose spokes around the wheel or does it have good tension?

I've had heavy strikes, where somehow a brick sized rock gets kicked up, and thought the rim would be ruined but it was fine.. that's a big hole, hope they take care of it
    Seam is in the center between the spokes above the "T" aluminum appears to be crystallized or porous in the broken area ...... I contacted WTB by phone yesterday, sent photos and receipt by e mail, no response back yet.

mtbr member
    Well....The Jury is still out on the acceptance of this wheel failure as a warranty item by WTB, the silence has been golden! Sent another e mail on Friday morning to verify that the receipt and photos had been received......No response.

Thought they may respond today.....didn't happen.....I don't want to jump to conclusions yet but I am loosing hope. A simple yes or no would work....Not impressed with customer service at this point.

Just ordered a Stan's Flow wheel set for my Trance X2 and will swap the EA 90 Easton's on to my daughters Superlight....The WTB set will end up on Craigslist IF the warranty replacement ever happens! (Update to follow soon)

mtbr member
    Still no response from WTB ...... Their "Ignore and they will just go away" warranty response has just cost them a loyal customer. I will not be buying any WTB wheel-sets, tires, seats, or anything else again. I sent an e mail to Price Point were I purchased the wheel-set this morning..... I'm not holding my breath!

Warrior's Society
    They make this great thing called a phone.....

Why not try calling them before you blast them for ignoring you.

Phone: (415) 389-5040
    Fax: (415) 389-5044
    800: (800) 975-2453
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    They make this great thing called a phone.....

Why not try calling them before you blast them for ignoring you.

Phone: (415) 389-5040
    Fax: (415) 389-5044
    800: (800) 975-2453
    Really??? The ball is in THEIR court to get back to me.....The first contact was by phone. And by the way.....There is this great thing that we use now in the 21rst century called e mail that actually builds a paper trail... Don't be a troll

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    Really??? The ball is in THEIR court to get back to me.....The first contact was by phone. Don't be a troll
    Guess it is easier to complain about it, than it is to call them.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I assume WTB warranty is run by like 2 people and judging by my experience one of them is the receptionist who answers the phone calls. I had a titanium rail break on me during normal riding and they asked for pictures which I provided. Unlike the OP's experience they got back to me pretty quickly and I was sent out a replacement. If they haven't gotten back to you by now one of several things probably happened 1) your email got lost 2) someone is on vacation 3) they are swamped with other claims and are probably taking their time getting back to you or 4) they are just ignoring you because they don't like you. In any of these cases I would've made it my priority to give them a call. And remember people are more willing to resolve your problems for you if you are nice to them.

mtbr member

WTB Laser TCS Fail

They are likely swamped as others have said. I had a Devo saddle de-rail and it it took two emails to get a response. They thought someone else had already responded. Once they responded thighs were smooth sailing.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Good News....Price Point is going to deal with the manufacturer to resolve the warranty issue....

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Price Point has had good warranty service for me a few times.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=borbntm;11381178]Well....The Jury is still out on the acceptance of this wheel failure as a warranty item by WTB, the silence has been golden! Sent another e mail on Friday morning to verify that the receipt and photos had been received......No response.

Thought they may respond today.....didn't happen.....I don't want to jump to conclusions yet but I am loosing hope. A simple yes or no would work....Not impressed with customer service at this point.

I should not have jumped to conclusions so quickly.....My mistake. WTB responded today, extremely busy this time of year......Apology accepted. Between WTB & Price Point, I am confident that there will be a favorable resolution. Great News...I really like WTB tires and seats....