mtbr member
    Nov 2010

WTB Laser 29er wheelset for $200

On Chainlove for a few more minutes. Good UST rims and OK hubs. A good deal.

mtbr member
    I got a set a couple months ago and have been quite impressed. Having owned Sun Ringle Charger Experts, WTB hubs on Stans Flows (that I built), and these...I can say these are my favorite of the bunch.

I've become an instant fan of the TCS rims, so easy to install and mount a tubeless ready tire with no tools and just a floor pump. This is my second set of LaserDisc Lite hubs and I've become a fan of them as well (basically an American Classic). Yes the engagement is slow compared to some other higher end brands. But then they are pretty quiet, very fast rolling, and so far have been hassle free.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    How about the XT/Laser TCS Trail 29er wheelset? Is it a similar value on XT hubs? $185 at Jensen right now. Same rims, as far as I can tell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would think the XT hubs would be better than the WTB. I have this wheelset, and the WTB hubs are quiet but the engagement is mediocre.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The Laser rims are great, though. A precursor, I think, to the Frquency i23 rims, which are even better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Again??? View Post
    How about the XT/Laser TCS Trail 29er wheelset? Is it a similar value on XT hubs? $185 at Jensen right now. Same rims, as far as I can tell.
    XT M756 hubs are significantly heavier but quite serviceable. The freehub body is only two pawl and 18 poe so it will not be any quicker than the WTB hubs. The spokes are strait gauge with brass nipples vs the nicer, lighter, and more durable triple butted spokes on the Chainlove wheelset along with lighter alloy nipples.

IMO the Chainlove deal is much better, though the Jenson deal isn't bad
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Nox Trailbuilder
    I had the WTB wheelset in my cart for purchase and was updating my credit card info when they disappeared...... Somebody apparently finished the deal before I could.
    The deal lasted only 3 minutes.
    I haven't seen them since (Xmas eve). I wonder if that was their last set.
    Chainlove isn't what it used to be.....now it's more clothes than it is bike parts....

Plan 'B' is waiting for the backordered Sun Black Flag Comp's from Performance....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
    I had the WTB wheelset in my cart for purchase and was updating my credit card info when they disappeared...... Somebody apparently finished the deal before I could.
    The deal lasted only 3 minutes.
    I haven't seen them since (Xmas eve). I wonder if that was their last set.
    Chainlove isn't what it used to be.....now it's more clothes than it is bike parts....

Plan 'B' is waiting for the backordered Sun Black Flag Comp's from Performance....
    it probably was their last set, they hadn't had that deal up since mid november and if you use the tracker in your browser that shows you previous deals it usually lets you click to buy most items at regular price. for the past month that showed up as not in stock. I would recommend getting the ones advertised from jensen, the main difference is that the xt hubs are a bit heavier and the jensen wheels don't appear to come with the tape and valves so figure another $30 for that. As others mentioned, these rims are great and super easy to mount up. I'm a 250lber and very happy with them thus far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I just received a set of Laser TCS XC for Christmas, I have a new pair of Weirwolf Comp tires that I would like to use, would they work, or do I need to buy a set of TCS tires?
    I would like to explore going tubeless, but would like to use the Weirwolfs first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan59801 View Post
    I just received a set of Laser TCS XC for Christmas, I have a new pair of Weirwolf Comp tires that I would like to use, would they work, or do I need to buy a set of TCS tires?
    I would like to explore going tubeless, but would like to use the Weirwolfs first.
    they almost definately will work is what I've read. non tubeless specific tires may need to seal up a little bit more on the sidewalls and there is a chance of occassional burping but most people seem to not have any problems, I would expect it to still be better than "ghetto tubeless" just make sure you use plenty of sealant.

I'm 250lbs so it was recommended to me that at my weight I don't mess around with non tubeless specific tires since you really don't want to have a tire come unseated. the UST bead on these tcs rims means that when you use a Tubeless specific tire the bead will really lock in solidly.