mtbr member

WTB i23 Rims with XT or X9 hubs?

So I want to replace the Vueltas that came with my Fly Ti 29er with a cheap, robust tubeless ready wheelset. I don't really want to spend much more than $300 since I still have to buy the sealant, tape, and another set of rotors so my Vueltas can be converted into full time road wheels. So after a decent amount of research, I've come to understand that the WTB i23 is pretty tough to beat, so long as you're not into weight weenie stuff (I am not). I want it strong, reliable, and if possible, somewhat light... but that's not a primary concern. I also want easy tubeless setup as I'm completely new to it.

So with that in mind, which of these two wheelsets should I go for? (or if you have an alternate recommendation):

WTB Frequency I23 29er Tubeless Mountain Bike Wheelset Shimano XT Hub 6 Bolt | eBay

or

WTB Frequency I23 29er Tubeless Mountain Bike Wheelset SRAM x9 Hub 6 Bolt Disc | eBay

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    The x9 hubs are heavy and have terrible engagement. They're also not very cheap. XT still has some durability issues and part availability issues. SLX hubs are shimanos real winners these days.

You could do I23's, SLX hubs and quality butted spokes for 300 easy. Shimano hubs are butter smooth with the steel axles, and 32pt is really pretty good (especially for a 50 dollar hub).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The x9 hubs are heavy and have terrible engagement. They're also not very cheap. XT still has some durability issues and part availability issues. SLX hubs are shimanos real winners these days.

You could do I23's, SLX hubs and quality butted spokes for 300 easy. Shimano hubs are butter smooth with the steel axles, and 32pt is really pretty good (especially for a 50 dollar hub).
    Considering that the XT wheelset is $229, is it not a decent deal? Heck, given what wheelsets go for, to me it seems like a really good deal.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by allthatisman View Post
    So I want to replace the Vueltas that came with my Fly Ti 29er with a cheap, robust tubeless ready wheelset. I don't really want to spend much more than $300 since I still have to buy the sealant, tape, and another set of rotors so my Vueltas can be converted into full time road wheels. So after a decent amount of research, I've come to understand that the WTB i23 is pretty tough to beat, so long as you're not into weight weenie stuff (I am not). I want it strong, reliable, and if possible, somewhat light... but that's not a primary concern. I also want easy tubeless setup as I'm completely new to it.

So with that in mind, which of these two wheelsets should I go for? (or if you have an alternate recommendation):

WTB Frequency I23 29er Tubeless Mountain Bike Wheelset Shimano XT Hub 6 Bolt | eBay

or

WTB Frequency I23 29er Tubeless Mountain Bike Wheelset SRAM x9 Hub 6 Bolt Disc | eBay

Thoughts?
    Those have 6-bolt XT hubs. Much more reliable than the current XT 775/785 Centerlock hub, and parts are available. The engagement is about the same as the X-9 as is the weight.

I prefer the Shimano QR skewers, but like the cartridge bearings of the SRAM. Much easier to find replacement FH bodies for the XT though I have never had issues with the FH on either (lots of problems with the centerlock XT FH).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Considering that the XT wheelset is $229, is it not a decent deal. Heck, given what wheelsets go for, to me it seems like a really good deal.
    Both are good deals and about the same weight.

The hubs are a budget pick, but fine. Straight gauge spokes are also a cost cutter at the expense of weight.

Bet if you called the customer service number the price would be a bit lower as they would not have 'bay fees.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Both are good deals and about the same weight.

The hubs are a budget pick, but fine. Straight gauge spokes are also a cost cutter at the expense of weight.

Bet if you called the customer service number the price would be a bit lower as they would not have 'bay fees.
    Thanks! That's a great idea.

mtbr member
    I'd take XT six bolt hubs...reliable and durable with parts easily found at almost any LBS.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

Ninja Master Powers
    If you can swing it spend just a little more and get a set of DT 350's.

You'll have a pretty awesome wheel set with hubs that aren't likely to self destruct Shimano hubs are known for doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post

You'll have a pretty awesome wheel set with hubs that aren't likely to self destruct Shimano hubs are known for doing.
    Shimano 6-bolt hubs are not know for self destructing. They do need to be checked for proper adjustment before first use and serviced regularly, but are rock solid hubs.
    mtbtires.com

Thanks! That's a great idea.
    I just checked the shop's website. With shipping, the XT wheelset is ~$18 cheaper than their 'bay price.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I just checked the shop's website. With shipping, the XT wheelset is ~$18 cheaper than their 'bay price.
    The SRAM hub'd wheels were even cheaper... $179. I ended up getting those after calling and talking to the owner. He said that out of 3-400 of those wheelsets sold, he's only heard about a few being bad. He's sold much more of the X9 version than the XT, which I thought was interesting. I already have a set of the XT skewers that are on the bike right now.

All told I ordered the wheelset, Stan's stems, tape, and 32oz Stan's sealant for $238 shipped. If there is a better deal to be had, I don't know where it is.

mtbr member
    Second the opinion on the SLX hubs. Pretty bombproof by my clyde standards. Have almost 5K miles on them on my commuter along with a full season of cross racing. Repack the bearings every now and again just as preventative maintenance. They're really well sealed otherwise and engagement is as good as you'll get for the price.

Not the lightest hubs nor the heaviest, just the best option for a $50ish rear hub.

mtbpete
    You can can your Vuelta hubs rebuilt onto the Frequency rims with new high quality spokes and nipples for $300.

Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    You can can your Vuelta hubs rebuilt onto the Frequency rims with new high quality spokes and nipples for $300.
    Then he would not have a wheelset for the road tires.
    mtbtires.com

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post

complete BS
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I contacted the seller. He told me the rear Shimano hub is a fh-m756a. I can't find the engagement listed anywhere for that hub, and the seller couldn't tell me. Does anyone here know?

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by motovita View Post
    I contacted the seller. He told me the rear Shimano hub is a fh-m756a. I can't find the engagement listed anywhere for that hub, and the seller couldn't tell me. Does anyone here know?