mtbr member
    Feb 2013

WTB i19 tire mounting

I've searched and read through plenty of posts that give solid testimony and advice on mouting/seating your tires on WTB i23s, but not much on the i19s. I'm guessing that the more narrow width is preventing me from mounting mine more easily, but wanted to get ya'll's input.

I'm trying to get a 2.2 Bronson on one, a RaceKing Protection (tubeless ready) on the other. ~5 oz of Stans sealant in each. Soapy water all around, and my rim tape is sound. It seems that I can't get an initial seal because the stem gasket pushes the tire bead out of the inner well.

Also, I'm working with a hand pump. I'm wondering if you've done it with a hand pump, or is a high-volume floor pump (or compressor) necessary?

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Is the bronson TCS or race? Also, I"d try a floor pump at the least! I've gotten my specialized 2bliss tires to seat easily with just a little soap on i19's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It's TCS.

Were you working with a hand or floor pump?

Yep, floor pump's the go-to choice, I just don't have one right now, and my work schedule's retarded right now. And so am I...
    I was hoping I'd have the same experience as the kid in the WTB video, and a hand pump would be all I needed. I think those were i23s, though. No sweat, I'll get a bud to bring over his pump tomorrow.

Anybody else with hand-pump i19 insight?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yep, I used a floor pump - sorry I haven't tried with a handpump. I can't imagine that there is a significant difference in mounting ease between the i19 and i23. Have you found where the air is coming out? Also, maybe try seating one side with a tube, pulling the tube out, then inserting the value stem, putting stans in, soaping the bead, then pumping....just an idea.

mtbr member
    Air compressor is your friend

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Updating this for the record, the air compressor was my friend and savior here. I couldn't get either tire to seat with a hi-vol floor pump, but they snapped into place with almost no problem when I put the compressor to them. Of course, I did use soapy water. Thanks for the help.