Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by allthatisman View Post
    So I think I've narrowed down a tire (based on my riding style, etc.) and I just wanted to confirm that these Maxxis Ikons will do the trick:

3C, Maxxspeed EXO, TR. They seem like fast, lightweight, tubeless ready tires that should wear better than RR's, and possibly seat better. I'm ready to pull the trigger on these, otherwise I was going to maybe go with Specialized Ground Control 29 2.3's. A bit different style of tire... not as fast, but a bit beefier. I'd prefer a speedier tire.

Thoughts?
    The TR Ikons were just released. I doubt you'll get much feedback from actual users. With that said, I've run a set of non-TR Exo 2.2's on WTB Laser TCS rims (aka UST) and a set of flows. It's a great XC tire that rolls very well and has a surprising amount of grip. It burped on me when mounted to the WTB's but that's to be expected with a non-tubeless tire mounted tubeless to a UST rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    The TR Ikons were just released. I doubt you'll get much feedback from actual users. With that said, I've run a set of non-TR Exo 2.2's on WTB Laser TCS rims (aka UST) and a set of flows. It's a great XC tire that rolls very well and has a surprising amount of grip. It burped on me when mounted to the WTB's but that's to be expected with a non-tubeless tire mounted tubeless to a UST rim.
    Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll cruise over to my local shop and see if they have some 2.3 GC's.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have no experience with the current 2Bliss tires. I know the WTB TCS, Bonty TLR, Geax TnT, and Hutchinson tubeless ready models work well, and Schwalbe TR do OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    I have no issues running Specialized 2 Bliss tires with my Frequency's so far. Setup easily and hold air without problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Check here for Speshy's recommended tire pressure: http://www.specialized.com/media/wha...G0290_revA.pdf

I just mounted a set of 2.3 Purgatories on i23 x29's. They mounted easy peazy with just a floor pump (valve core removed, soap suds on the beads). I run them at typical tubeless pressures, meaning high 20's for a 200lb hack riding 2.2" tires.

And yes, I said 2.2" tires. Contrary to prior Spec' tires, these measure 2.20" at the knife edge of the side knob and 2.17" at the casing. That's at 30psi after letting them stretch for 2 weeks.

Finally, just as a point of reference, ignore the minimum pressure on the sidewalls. I am a big boy at 230 pounds and the highest pressures I run are 28 front 30 rear.

Other than the size issue, I've been very happy with them for all purpose trail riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I put a Spec Captain Control 2bliss 2.2 on the I23 with no issues. I also did an older FastTrak 2.2.
    Just to chime in here, while I am not running I23 rims, I have used two sets of Specialized 2Bliss tires on Fulcrum wheels (both true UST rims). In both cases the tires were easily mounted by hand and beads seated with a nice snap at about 30 psi. In the case of the first set (Purgatory front and Captian rear) it took a few rides before they held air well. The second set (Ground Control 2.3s) have held air perfectly from day one.

Specialized tires do seem to be shrinking a bit. Where they used to be true to their label, or even oversized, the Ground Control 2.3s come up with a 55mm casing measurement mounted on a 19mm internal rim at 30 psi (measured a week after mounting and inflating). This is 2.16" slightly under their claimed 2.3" or 58.4mm to the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Cary; 05-31-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allthatisman View Post
    29er? Which tires and what pressure do you run them at. According to Specialized specs, their tires have a min pressure rating of 35 psi... at that pressure, there's no reason for me to even consider tubeless, since if I run my tubed tires at 40, I never get flats.
    Currently running a Specialized Ground Control Control 2.3 on the rear of my Spearfish. I run 22-28 lbs depending on conditions.

It's a big tire. Almost exactly the same size as the Ardent 2.4 on the front. I'm very happy with it. I plan to test it as the front tire next.

mtbr member
    May 2012

New question here.

Hope my post is not too off-topic.

Started building front wheel for my trail/AM hardtail.
    Few guys who know how to build wheels posted in this thread. Hope for some help from them

Already bought TCS i23, Shimano XT HB-M775 hub & Wheelsmith 12mm brass nipples.

Considering to lace with Wheelsmith DB14 spokes using 3cross pattern.
    Need some help with spoke length determination.

Hub specs (official and then measured to be sure):
    holes: 32
    flange diameter, left: 44mm
    flange diameter, right: 41mm
    center to flange, left: 24.8mm
    center to flange, right: 35.8mm
    overlock nut dimension: 100mm

Rim specs:
    WTB speced ERD: 538mm
    my measurements: 537mm (measured according WHEELPRO site method using nipples that would be used)

well, different calculators give different results
    www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc
    left: 260.7mm
    right: 262.3mm

spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/Calculator.aspx
    left: 261.1
    right: 262.8

www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator
    left: 262.1
    right: 263.8

SO, what's the ACTUAL length spokes should I use?

Any reason going for more expensive DT Swiss spokes?
    Also, best place to buy individual spokes and not the whole box?

think that's too much questions for the single post

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

I always use the wheelpro spoke calc and roger mussons wheelbuiding PDF book and it hasn't let me down when building. I've only built with DT swiss spokes but know plenty of people who have used wheelsmith and sapim spokes. Sapim can be had for cheap from bikehubstore.com. probably about .80 per spoke if I remember correctly

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

meow, meow.
    boardreader,
    my calculator says 260 and 262 mm. It uses the formula given by Roger Musson in his book, and takes data from my own set of measurements (537 mm for that rim indeed).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thanx.
    just ordered 260 an 262mm wheelsmith DB14

Feel Good About Hood
    Just mounted these today. First ever experience with tubeless. Wolverine 2.2 29 TCS. Rims laced to Hope Pro II Evo. Laughably easy, with a floor pump, Slime Pro sealant. Unfortunately I wont be able to ride them for a while, frame issue. So glad I went with these over Stans. Amazing how well things work when they are designed to a set standard.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I'm a newb to MTB but the impression I get is that Stans was excellent for people that hadultiple sets of non UST tires already. For people new to the game a UST rim and UST tire is simply tubeless for dummies. I wish that road tubeless would gain traction just for the added flat protection. I'm a 250lber. I'd love to have some 28 or 32c tires I could run at lower pressures on the road for more comfort and get the flat protection benefits

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

meow, meow.
    Another pair of 26" i23 weighed. Purchased at CRC a month ago. Labeled WT69 alloy. Weights are 486 and 487 g.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Another pair of 26" i23 weighed. Purchased at CRC a month ago. Labeled WT69 alloy. Weights are 486 and 487 g.

That's about what mine weighed. They were the wt69 alloy.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    2 month update. Cased a few jumps, overshot a bunch of landings, crashed a few times, went sideways a lot too, highsided my bike bigtime and ended up 20' from the bike, and generally ridden like a maniac on the edge of control on nearly every ride. For whatever reason, the i23 rims combined with Conti's Trail King tires have flipped the switch and turned me from a generally cautious rider into a disturbingly reckless lunatic. It's a very confidence inspiring combo, maybe a little too confidence inspiring since I'm riding like a 20 year old again.

Despite all that abuse the wheels are still perfectly true and I haven't needed to tighten them up or do anything to them since the day they were built. I've checked them a couple times after my worst crashes and they were still dead straight. I'm quite impressed so far, with what I've put the wheels through to date I'm probably not going to break them without ending up in the hospital myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

Ditto for me -- lots of crazy riding for a year now on two wheelsets with i23 rims (wheels built by Steve -- 4Slomo -- at SRLPE) and the wheels/rims are true as arrows. No maintenance, truing, tweaking, nothing. Running mostly tubeless tires, geared and SS, on several different frames. Incredible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I can't wait for Steve to email that my wheels are done!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Steve, what about lacing an IGH to an i23 rim? Thinking of a wheel that I could run on my steel 29er Inbred with horizontal dropouts and also on my Pompetamine road/tourer with horizontal dropouts. Could run MTB tires and cross tires.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    That's about what mine weighed. They were the wt69 alloy.

Here's my Lefty wheel built up with DT swiss supercomps, 1.8 alloy nips, Project 321 hub and 26 I23 rim. No rim tape or valve. I also got rid of most of the obsurd labels on the rim.

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-0703130934.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    2 month update. Cased a few jumps, overshot a bunch of landings, crashed a few times, went sideways a lot too, highsided my bike bigtime and ended up 20' from the bike, and generally ridden like a maniac on the edge of control on nearly every ride. For whatever reason, the i23 rims combined with Conti's Trail King tires have flipped the switch and turned me from a generally cautious rider into a disturbingly reckless lunatic. It's a very confidence inspiring combo, maybe a little too confidence inspiring since I'm riding like a 20 year old again.

I hate that I can go faster too.

I got a little too confident and actually hit a turn way faster than normal thinking I could manage it. I even had the unexpected drift handled fine.......... Then, that stupid effen tree jumped out in front of me. I just clipped it and knocked the rim just enough out that my wheel builder said "I might get it straight, but it's pretty messed up. It may not last"

So, that rim lasted two months. I'm in process of filing a claim in small claims court against the Jumping Tree Society for the rebuild costs. It's obvious from their website they promote this type of bad tree behavior.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    anybody knows rim tape widths for these rims?
    will be running with tubes for now.

mtbr member
    25mm wide tape, such as Stans, is recommended.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    got it. thanx

Unstable Corruption

Hi!
    can anyone tell me what is the difference between Frequency i23 and i23 ST rims?

Thanks.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
    Hi!
    can anyone tell me what is the difference between Frequency i23 and i23 ST rims?

Thanks.
    Not 4d drilled and not I beam.

Anyone know if there is a difference in i23 rims
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Steve just emailed me letting me know my wheels are done! Super stoked!!!

Just Ride
    I just ordered a pair of i23 rims couple days ago. Still waiting on the cash for my phil wood kiss off hubs. Found a local guy who's addicted to wheel building, does it for a living too. So I'm gonna have him lace em up for me. I hope these rims are as good as everyone seems to say. They do look to be a nice alternative to stans! And from what I can tell, probably a better product?

So 23mm tape and presta valves. Can these be used without sealant? I'm currently running hans dampf tires and will be using them on my new wheels as well.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    25mm tape and sealant is needed.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    I just ordered a pair of i23 rims couple days ago. Still waiting on the cash for my phil wood kiss off hubs. Found a local guy who's addicted to wheel building, does it for a living too. So I'm gonna have him lace em up for me. I hope these rims are as good as everyone seems to say. They do look to be a nice alternative to stans! And from what I can tell, probably a better product?

So 23mm tape and presta valves. Can these be used without sealant? I'm currently running hans dampf tires and will be using them on my new wheels as well.
    Once taped and with valves installed, you need sealant only if the tires require it.

WTB recommends the 28mm tape for the i23.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just got my wheelset in from Steve last night. I got everything switched over and mounted up. They are so light and smooth. A hundred fold better than stock!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post

Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
    25mm tape and sealant is needed.
    WTB says 28 mm tape. 28 mm is what I used and had no problems getting my Hans Damphs to pop in.

meow, meow.
    Recently I used Schwalbe 25 mm wide rim tape (the light-blue-colored plastic one, removable). It seemed to have filled the rim from wall to wall without possibility of displacement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I can't say enough good things about the wheels Steve at SRLPE has built for me. I am now talking with him about building a multipurpose rear MTB/gravel grinding wheel with an Alfine 8 hub and an i23 rim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    So I haven't even put my i23s on my bike yet and I noticed this today!
    What could have caused that to happen?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-crackedrim.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    I'd guess an out of spec alloy. Too brittle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    shiggy, I used 25 mm tape. Its fine.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside, 650b converted

meow, meow.
    cazman72, what are the spoke tensions?

mtbr member
    Just got my i23 replaced under warranty. 7000 series alloy was cracking after little more than a year. Don't know if it was by accident or design, by they were replaced with the new i25's! Thanks to WTB for stepping up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Glad to have WT69 alloy
    7000 alloys are very tough but prone to creaks due to fatigue, I guess that's why they replace it by WT69 (which is probably an 60xx alloy).

Finished my pair of wheels: novatec (rebranded) hubs, sapim Dlight triple butted spokes, alloy nipple:

No worries even in rock gardens. Some impact traces on the rims but they seems very strong and are right size for schwalbe HD. Easy to build also.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisRayner View Post
    Just got my i23 replaced under warranty. 7000 series alloy was cracking after little more than a year. Don't know if it was by accident or design, by they were replaced with the new i25's! Thanks to WTB for stepping up.
    wow, have not seen i25's for sale.
    did they release it already?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisRayner View Post
    Oh that is way cool to get the I25 as a warranty.

Pics please!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member

End of the model year warranties often get next year's line if current is out of stock.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

mtbr member

Here's the i25 with 2.4 Nobby NicWTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375420398.243115.jpg
    WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375420411.490510.jpg

meow, meow.
    ...and some preparations for the zombie apocalypse in the background )

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Crap! That wheel can take out Zombies too. Manualling into them-I like it! Any specs on weight of the rim alone. How does it compare to the i23 for the build diameter whatever its called for spoke lengths. Oh and how does it ride?

mtbr member

Lol. That's a pallet load of jars for my wife's business. www.bombshellbrownieco.com

Back to the wheels. Getting in a ride tonight but I don't expect to feel a noticeable difference from 2mm. Bike shop rebuilt the wheels with the same spokes, new nipples-so identical length with the i23. I'm not a weight weenie nor did I get a chance to weigh them in comparison with my old rims. Just have to compare WTB specs. 499gm for the i25 and 459gm for the i23.

www.artscyclery.com has them.

mtbr member
    If that company was run out of my house I would weigh 400 lbs. and it would never turn a profit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Did someone say zombie apocolypse, I can't wait to change the attack angle with some i25s...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Anyone else notice the Chainsaw Power Take Off front wheel drive? That is ingenuity, cuz the last thing you want to do is stall out on the pedals when rippin through zombies!

meow, meow.
    Needs a lower handlebar IMHO, to load front end better. Otherwise the chainsaw motion will tend to lift the front off the ground and ride up zombie flesh instead of plowing into it.

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    I just picked up a PIKE fork for my SJ FSR EVO and needed a 15mm hub, since the stock hilo crap was not convertible....I found a new X9 hub on pb for cheap and was going to put in on the stock used traverse rim, but the local wheel builder said it had issues. He's building me up an i25 with the x9 instead. The i25 looks about the same weight as the flow ex and maybe a bit tougher with the extra verticle support. Between the new wheel and fork expecting the front end to be way rigid now. When the rear goes I'll pick up a mate.

meow, meow.
    X9 hub has contact seals I think, which is very rare in front cartridge bearing hubs.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast