Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nope. Just used the value from the website. Worked perfectly.
    I used the DT Swiss calculator figure spoke lengths based on that ERD.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Has anybody set up schwalbe hans dampf's or specialized tubeliss ready tires up on these?
    my lbs said they really only work well tubeless with WTB TCS tires or UST, but not other tubeless ready brands.
    Any feedback?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    Has anybody set up schwalbe hans dampf's or specialized tubeliss ready tires up on these?
    my lbs said they really only work well tubeless with WTB TCS tires or UST, but not other tubeless ready brands.
    Any feedback?
    I put a Specl, 2bliss Escar 2.3 on the front I built up a couple months ago. It locks up great. Nice pop as it seats when inflating, good press with the thumb to get it to release when deflating. Floor pump inflates. I experimented with lower pressures. Got down to about 22-23 pounds as indicated on my pump. No burping and it really smoothed out the trail, but there was so much side wall flex at that point that it was uncomfortable to corner. Now, last week i bought a fancy digital tire pressure gauge. What I'm finding is that the gauge on my pump reads about 5 pounds over. I figure I was down in the high teens at that point in reality. At this point I'm running about 23 (true) with no problems as a guy who's 240 in kit. Needless to say I'm pretty impressed with the lock up.

I just finished my i23 rear last night and I'm trying to decide which tire to put on it. Torn between the Captain 2.2 and the Purgatory. I've run Purgatory tires in the past on the old rear and done well, but I think with the extra tire profile from the wider rim the lower rolling resistance of the Captain would be welcome and still give plenty of traction for climbing in the loose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Any feedback?
    i really doubt thats true; rim has a ust bead. Im sure it works well with all tubeless ready tires; tubeless ready tires have a ust bead but not the ust thick sidewall.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    I put a Specl, 2bliss Escar 2.3 on the front I built up a couple months ago. It locks up great. Nice pop as it seats when inflating, good press with the thumb to get it to release when deflating. Floor pump inflates. I experimented with lower pressures. Got down to about 22-23 pounds as indicated on my pump. No burping and it really smoothed out the trail, but there was so much side wall flex at that point that it was uncomfortable to corner. Now, last week i bought a fancy digital tire pressure gauge. What I'm finding is that the gauge on my pump reads about 5 pounds over. I figure I was down in the high teens at that point in reality. At this point I'm running about 23 (true) with no problems as a guy who's 240 in kit. Needless to say I'm pretty impressed with the lock up.

I just finished my i23 rear last night and I'm trying to decide which tire to put on it. Torn between the Captain 2.2 and the Purgatory. I've run Purgatory tires in the past on the old rear and done well, but I think with the extra tire profile from the wider rim the lower rolling resistance of the Captain would be welcome and still give plenty of traction for climbing in the loose.
    thanks for the feedback....yeah im considering the purgatory for the rear as well...and hans dampf for the front.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post

Edit - for 26" hoops
    This I can confirm.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Paid Spam

Since this thread is still alive and well, just wanted to throw this out there if someone's looking. I'm selling my 29" i23 wheelset. I've seen people post links to their ads before so if this is against the rules just let me know and i'll pull it down. Thanks

NEW WTB Frequency i23 29'er Wheelset - PRICE REDUCED - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    I'm waiting on a set of these rims to come in for my new build! Keeping my same hubs (lefty and shimano M475) and using DT Swiss Champion spokes. Should be a sturdy build with decent weight!
    I'd like to see it with a Lefty set up. Post a pic when done.

When I finally get my new Lefty wheel built up, it will have this i23 rim.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just got mine and weighed them. 453 grams!
    '11 transition blindside

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    I just got mine and weighed them. 453 grams!
    There must be great variance between batches -- I weighed 2 (26") rims and they were 478 and 479 g.
    26" faithful.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I'd like to see it with a Lefty set up. Post a pic when done.

When I finally get my new Lefty wheel built up, it will have this i23 rim.
    I can certainly do that!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Any feedback?
    I am running a Hans Dampf on this rim and it set up super easy. No problems inflating or keeping pressure. The HD is a great front tire. I also set up the back wheel with a DHF Minion with no problems.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I'm looking to beat these up on some aggressive all mountain riding. I like to case some bigger landings from time to time, you know, eating dirt on gaps with 15+ feet of clearance. In reality I like to roll away on it nice and smoothly, but you never know what a rim is going to have to take.

Does everyone think these things can take a serious beating? All I do is put my 6 inch AM Norco Range through the trails. I'm just tired of rims being listed as "all mountain" when they can't take some hell from a patch of granite or shale. I feel that AM includes some mild drops and hucks from time to time. That's not freeride, is it?

Older & Slower
    OK...just looking for clarification: Do all "tubeless ready" tires have square shaped UST beads? Is this true for all manufacturers that offer tubeless ready tires? If so, can this be 100% confirmed (i.e. anyone actually heard/read this from credible sources?

I want to mount at Schwalbe Nobby Nic tubeless to my Frequency i23 29er rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher View Post
    OK...just looking for clarification: Do all "tubeless ready" tires have square shaped UST beads? Is this true for all manufacturers that offer tubeless ready tires? If so, can this be 100% confirmed (i.e. anyone actually heard/read this from credible sources?

My understanding is that the tubeless ready standard is a UST bead but needs to be run with sealant.

mtbr member
    Your description of your riding style sounds more like freeride than AM to me, and you would probably be better riding on FR rims.

Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I'm looking to beat these up on some aggressive all mountain riding. I like to case some bigger landings from time to time, you know, eating dirt on gaps with 15+ feet of clearance. In reality I like to roll away on it nice and smoothly, but you never know what a rim is going to have to take.

Does everyone think these things can take a serious beating? All I do is put my 6 inch AM Norco Range through the trails. I'm just tired of rims being listed as "all mountain" when they can't take some hell from a patch of granite or shale. I feel that AM includes some mild drops and hucks from time to time. That's not freeride, is it?
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member

Originally I had a i23 built up as a spare DH rim. I have been destroying 823s lately so I wanted a cheap back up. Although I was timid with it as a back wheel I still put some abuse into it. I decided to get a more specific DH rim and had the i23 laced to a 142 hub for my Chilcotin. Sounds like we ride about the same, and I have not had any durability problems thus far. But to be fair, these are not FR rims, and I don't expect them to hold up well to a hard case.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i just finished bulding up my 26" frequency rims laced to my old '08 hope pro ii hubs (20 mm front, 135 rear) with dt comp double butted spokes and brass nipples. weight with stans yellow tape applied and tubeless valves installed is 848 g front, 1100 g rear, total 1948 g! saving me over 500 grams compared to my previous setup (mavic 823's, same hubs). If anyone wants to know, spoke lengths I used (from wheelpro's calculator) were front: left 258, right 260 rear: left 259, right 258. Perfect wheelset for my santa cruz butcher.
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just finished a 29er build w/i23s. This is my first foray into TL and was curious if anyone has experience running WTB race series tires (Bronson/Vulpine specifically) on these rims? I know I can run them tubed but have read others w/good experiences on Stan's and various UST rims.

mtbr member
    Eugenemtbing ran a Bronson race tire with the round bead tubeless on his Frequency i23 rim, and had problems with it staying on. Once he switched to a Bronson TCS with the square bead he has had no more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JarOwl View Post
    Just finished a 29er build w/i23s. This is my first foray into TL and was curious if anyone has experience running WTB race series tires (Bronson/Vulpine specifically) on these rims? I know I can run them tubed but have read others w/good experiences on Stan's and various UST rims.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    I finally, with a helluva lot of help from the guys at my shop, got mine built up! Lefty hub on the front Shimano M475 on the rear, DT Swiss Champion spokes, black brass Wheelsmith nipples! Can't wait to try 'em out on the trail!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JarOwl View Post
    I've only tried them with Specialized 2bliss tires which work very well. I have a Hans Dampf on the way to me in the mail. I'll report on that, hopefully within a week or so.

mtbr member

I toiled over the decision to buy these for some of the same reasons but decided I could (and did) flat spot heavier costly rims too. Well I do have a mild flat spot now, never heard the strike, and it did come through the top wall ever so slightly. I'm not disapointed really due to the price but I would call these cross country/trail rims. Def not all mountain.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fermenter View Post
    I toiled over the decision to buy these for some of the same reasons but decided I could (and did) flat spot heavier costly rims too. Well I do have a mild flat spot now, never heard the strike, and it did come through the top wall ever so slightly. I'm not disapointed really due to the price but I would call these cross country/trail rims. Def not all mountain.
    Cheers!
    I dont like to hear that! i bought these hoping they would be at least as strong as the flow's which held up great for me in the past.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher View Post

Just wanted to let you and everyone else know i set up the 29er i23's with a nobby nic 2.25 SS on the rear and a hans dampf on the front and they both sealed up great...there was some good beadlock too when i deflated the tire.
    i only have one ride on them but no burping and are holding air good.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast