Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    OK, just got my pair of i23's at the post office. 485 and 482 grams with the badge, not as light as advertised.

There is some solid gray residue left on the inside of the bead hook, anybody else seen that? Like a tire had been mounted tubeless and that's the leftover sealant, which is of course a crazy idea since the rim is brand new (or at least is said to be).

They seem to have some flex when I squeeze them with my arms, is that ok?

J Random, I see your point, but the problem is, our wheelbuilder doesn't want to to take the "110kgf" figures into account Like he's been building his wheels with some tension tables, and those 110kgf are totally unnecessary. Maybe I'm using wrong terms when giving him the tension data?

As far as the uneven drilling goes, well, this pair has it as well, that is, some eyelet facets are about 3-4mm wide, some 1-2mm, that's probably what the builder has noticed as well. Is that ok?

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWiseNuthatch View Post
    OK, just got my pair of i23's at the post office. 485 and 482 grams with the badge, not as light as advertised.
    This is normal I think. I've only seen weights around 480 g too.

There is some solid gray residue left on the inside of the bead hook, anybody else seen that? Like a tire had been mounted tubeless and that's the leftover sealant, which is of course a crazy idea since the rim is brand new (or at least is said to be).
    All Frequency rims that I built with had some very noticeable uneven anodizing (discoloration) in the tire channel, but never a residue.

They seem to have some flex when I squeeze them with my arms, is that ok?
    Well, why not. This can be felt even in high profile rims such as Giant P-XC when squeezing them radially.

J Random, I see your point, but the problem is, our wheelbuilder doesn't want to to take the "110kgf" figures into account Like he's been building his wheels with some tension tables, and those 110kgf are totally unnecessary. Maybe I'm using wrong terms when giving him the tension data?
    He's probably referring to tensiometer conversion tables. Both 110 and 120 kgf readings should be present in such tables for whatever tensiometer he may be using.

Is he suggesting that 110 kgf is too low?

As far as the uneven drilling goes, well, this pair has it as well, that is, some eyelet facets are about 3-4mm wide, some 1-2mm, that's probably what the builder has noticed as well. Is that ok?
    Now that doesn't sound good!

Extrusion profile is constant throughout the rim, thus it sounds exactly like drilling has been made to uneven depth, as if the rim was ever so slightly wavy and the drill bit always went to a fixed depth relative to the machine, not to the rim material.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

mtbr member
    I had some grey residue in mine too.

mtbr member
    I just setup my wheels tonight (xt hubs and i23 rims). The rims had no residue on the inner surface, but they were a little dirty. I set the wheels up tubeless with some WTB Stout 2.3 tires using a Stan's kit. Everything went smoothly and I was able to set the bead with my floor pump. No compressor needed. At this point, I'm very happy with them. I'm sure that opinion won't change very much once I finally get the bike together.

mtbr member
    Regular folding bead tires (Schwalbe) with I23s? Yay or nay? Just wondering how these will setup tubeless with non TL-Ready tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just got the new Moto Fantom 29 Pro and it came with WTB Speeddisc I19 rims. If I were to purchase the WTB Frequency I23 rims, could I just swap out rims and be done? I can't find any full I23 wheelsets anywhere.

mtbr member
    Hi Larsin,

The rims have different ERD dimensions, which means different spoke lengths are required. Think custom wheel build. Easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsin View Post
    I just got the new Moto Fantom 29 Pro and it came with WTB Speeddisc I19 rims. If I were to purchase the WTB Frequency I23 rims, could I just swap out rims and be done? I can't find any full I23 wheelsets anywhere.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    4slomo,

Thank you for the response. I will research that further and hopefully be wheel-building soon!

Larsin

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Regular folding bead tires (Schwalbe) with I23s? Yay or nay? Just wondering how these will setup tubeless with non TL-Ready tires.
    nay. earlier this year I ordered what I thought were TL version of the Fat Albert and mounted them to my i23 (26"). They would blow off on every medium sized jump and under hard cornering. Took me an email to Schwalbe with the serial # to find out they weren't TL ready. Starting last year (I think), all of Schwalbe tires are TL ready, even if they're folding bead. The tires I had bought were older still.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So I've been following this thread from the beginning. I'm leaning towards using the i23's. I have found about 3 sets of these wheels built up with DT Swiss 350 hubs. 2 are brand new and 1 used. My question is in regards to the DT 350's. Is it a quality hub? How many poe's? Any issues with them from any users here? I'm 6'2" 180 with gear.
    *2015 Knolly Warden,Custom Build*
    *2014 Knolly Endorphin,Custom Build*
    *2016 Ibis Mojo HD3,Custom Build*

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Well after a warrantied rim, and a good few rides back under me, I'm happy to report no further issues! The rim in question did indeed have far too much spoke tension, and coupled with me being an awful wheel builder, the torn spoke hole was kind of inevitable really. So this time I ponied up a few bucks and had my shop lace it up and check my front wheel for correct tension while they were at it! Awesome rims, light, really stiff, and make my 2.2 tires look (and grip) like 2.4's!
    1994 Cannondale M400 2017 Felt Surplus 30
    1997 Marin Point Reyes 2013 Pivot Mach 5.7

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    So I've been following this thread from the beginning. I'm leaning towards using the i23's. I have found about 3 sets of these wheels built up with DT Swiss 350 hubs. 2 are brand new and 1 used. My question is in regards to the DT 350's. Is it a quality hub? How many poe's? Any issues with them from any users here? I'm 6'2" 180 with gear.
    350 should be very solid hubs. They replace 340 in DT lineup. As a Star Ratchet type hub, they have 18 POE stock and can be upgraded to 36 POE, but the latter is much more demanding with respect to correct greasing. The coasting mechanism is very modular and lightweight. Water sealing is excellent and AFAIK second to none (although this is speaking from experience with 240 and 340 hubs).

Spykr,
    that's good news. Directional drilling certainly makes it easy to keep tightening the spokes beyond 120 kgf.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE=J. Random Psycho;9799852]350 should be very solid hubs. They replace 340 in DT lineup. As a Star Ratchet type hub, they have 18 POE stock and can be upgraded to 36 POE, but the latter is much more demanding with respect to correct greasing. The coasting mechanism is very modular and lightweight. Water sealing is excellent and AFAIK second to none (although this is speaking from experience with 240 and 340 hubs).

Thanks J. Random Psycho. Is 18 POE a "good" number when it comes to POE?
    *2015 Knolly Warden,Custom Build*
    *2014 Knolly Endorphin,Custom Build*
    *2016 Ibis Mojo HD3,Custom Build*

meow, meow.
    kevinboyer,
    well... that depends on whether you have already tasted high POE hubs )
    16-18 feels broken at first if you're used to, say, 48.
    Modern top of the line hubs have those numbers at like 72 and 120.
    Mid range hubs are at numbers like 24, 30 and 36.

Personally I'm fine with 24 (Hammerschmidt to fixed hub) and can get used to 18 if needed.
    On another bike I'm just as fine with 48 (Hope Pro 2 Trials) but going to go back to instant engaging silent clutch (True Precision Poacher). Ahhh, the silence.

DT Swiss Star Ratchet hubs are rather quiet at 18 POE, by the way. And you don't have to apply lots of grease to achieve it. That's very good in my book.

mtbr member
    What width of WTB rim tape are you guys using for the i23? The 28 mm?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    Yes, use the 28mm tape.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    1" Gorilla Tape fits as well.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    1" Gorilla Tape fits as well.
    Thick tape adversely affects the bead lock shape.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Lightly salted
    Bringing back an old thread,

Im looking to build a set of i23 rims on dt swiss 240 hubs to replace my tired Mavis sx wheel set. I have only built a handful of wheels and I'm having trouble deciding if I should go with dt swiss super comp or comp spokes? I'm 190lbs ready to ride. I want a light but strong wheel set for trail/am riding with drops to 4' with smooth landings. Nothing to aggressive and no bike park use. Will the comp spokes be noticeably more stiff than the super comp spokes at hard corners/hard pedaling?

meow, meow.
    I'd go with super comps. A 32-spoke, 3-cross laced wheel (what i23 are designed for) is going to be stiff enough laterally and torsionally with any conceivable spokes, but with thinner spokes it will be stronger.

Bicycle Addict
    How is an i19 compared to the Arch? I'm talking about durability and feel. Is it easier to mount a tire on a wider or narrower inner rim width, 19 vs 21?
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    I've had Arches then i23's and now FlowEX 650b's.
    I think they are all very equivalent in terms of durability, stiffness, and ease of build.
    The only trouble I had was with the Stan's rear hub.
    I haven't seen any difference in mounting tires on either of my Stan's vs the WTB hoops. All were very easy. I haven't ever had to use anything other than a floor pump to set up tires tubeless.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I've had Arches then i23's and now FlowEX 650b's.
    I think they are all very equivalent in terms of durability, stiffness, and ease of build.
    The only trouble I had was with the Stan's rear hub.
    I haven't seen any difference in mounting tires on either of my Stan's vs the WTB hoops. All were very easy. I haven't ever had to use anything other than a floor pump to set up tires tubeless.
    That's all I needed to hear. Thanks and a rep +
    Bearded Women Racing

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    How is an i19 compared to the Arch? I'm talking about durability and feel. Is it easier to mount a tire on a wider or narrower inner rim width, 19 vs 21?

Pretty much what mestapho said.

I've got a mix of Arch, Flow, and i19 rims in use on three different bikes - functionally, when getting them up and running tubeless, I've not been able to tell a difference. They've all been equally easy.

Caveat: all with yellow tape, a cup of sealant, and either tubeless ready or full UST tires.

I'm not a hack, ride fairly smoothly, am only 150# soaking wet, and have not been gentle with any of them - they're all working beautifully.

If you're a much larger mammal, or ride like a bowling ball, then the wider rims may work out better, or if you want to run biiiig tires.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Pretty much what mestapho said.

I've got a mix of Arch, Flow, and i19 rims in use on three different bikes - functionally, when getting them up and running tubeless, I've not been able to tell a difference. They've all been equally easy.

Caveat: all with yellow tape, a cup of sealant, and either tubeless ready or full UST tires.

I'm not a hack, ride fairly smoothly, am only 150# soaking wet, and have not been gentle with any of them - they're all working beautifully.

If you're a much larger mammal, or ride like a bowling ball, then the wider rims may work out better, or if you want to run biiiig tires.
    I am a bit larger fella, 220 lbs, and I currently use Archs without issue. I'm looking at the i19 because of its price. I can get it about $30 cheaper than the Arch. I was just concerned about the width of the rim. I may give them a try on my single speed. Thanks for the input scrublover.
    Bearded Women Racing

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    10 months on WTB i23 set up with db spokes on King hubs, Geax Gato Tubeless ready 28psi. Downieville runs, 1500 ft local downhill runs, and I ride 3 or 4 days per week. Rim rode 1/2 mile out on a flat tire once(on smooth dirt). These are GREAT. Took to wheelbuilder after 10 months, and they did not need to really true wheel. Justin just kinda inspected on truing stand, gave a few nipples a twist to make sure tension was there. Wrench Science built me great wheels. They use spoke tension gauge (as I am sure all professional wheelbuilders do), I am SO glad I did not try to build these myself.

Bicycle Addict
    I just ordered a set from my LBS today. I'm pretty excited to ride them. They will be laced to a White Industries Eno Eccentric hub.
    Bearded Women Racing

Lightly salted
    I got my new i23 rims yesturday and built them up today on dt swiss 240 hubs using brass nipples and comp spokes. Very solid feel to them. These are replacing an old set of 2010 mavic sx wheels. I built myself flows on dt swiss 240's last year and the i23 rims feel noticably stronger. I removed the i23 stickers and weighted them at 453g and 452g for the 2 rims. That seems much lighter than the advertised 475g per rim? I have left over 25mm stans tape, will that be ok to use for the i23's? Wtb recommendeds 28mm tape, but would like to use the stans since I already have it. Will the 25mm tape work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I got my new i23 rims yesturday and built them up today on dt swiss 240 hubs using brass nipples and comp spokes. Very solid feel to them. These are replacing an old set of 2010 mavic sx wheels. I built myself flows on dt swiss 240's last year and the i23 rims feel noticably stronger. I removed the i23 stickers and weighted them at 453g and 452g for the 2 rims. That seems much lighter than the advertised 475g per rim? I have left over 25mm stans tape, will that be ok to use for the i23's? Wtb recommendeds 28mm tape, but would like to use the stans since I already have it. Will the 25mm tape work?
    I'm pretty sure I sealed mine with a single layer of Stans 25mm tapes. Seems to work alright.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I'm doing that exact same build, with dt240 oversize in front, and dt240 in back.

What spoke length did you use for all of them? Are you happy with that length?

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by flyxaos View Post
    I'm doing that exact same build, with dt240 oversize in front, and dt240 in back.

What spoke length did you use for all of them? Are you happy with that length?
    I used 259mm for front disk side and 260mm for the rest of the spokes. That was what I calculated using 537 erd and the dt swiss spoke calculator. Length was perfect. After the wheels were tensioned almost all the spoke threads came to the bottom of the nipple driver slot or whith in a thread. My hubs are dt swiss 240 12x142 rear and a 20mm thru axle OS 240 in the front. They were easier to build and true compared to the flows I built last year.
    Last edited by fuenstock; 02-06-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Lightly salted
    Few pictures of the built up wheels with the stickers removed. Stickers came off clean very easy. Weight is without rim tape of valve stems.
    Wtb i23 rims
    dt swiss comp spokes
    dt swiss brass nipples silver
    dt swiss 240s OS 20mm front hub
    dt swiss 240s 12x142 rear hub

mtbr member
    Wish they made this rim in a 36 model for the rear. I can normally get away with 32/32 but prefer 36 out back when possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    fuenstock, i also used 25 mm tape, cuz the lbs was out of 28 mm. So far no problems after 7 months.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside, 650b converted

mtbr member

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

Found a good deal on the i23. These are am wheels and I only ride xc. I am 220lbs. Would these be overkill for xc and would I be happier with the i19?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Found a good deal on the i23. These are am wheels and I only ride xc. I am 220lbs. Would these be overkill for xc and would I be happier with the i19?

I've always kind of figured that race gear was too light for Clydes. Trail gear was effectively race gear for Clydes. And that AM gear amounts to Trail gear for Clydes.

I'd go with the 23's. The wider bead set presents a nicer tread-print to the dirt and ends up being less flexy.

Lightly salted

The i19 is pretty narrow, I would only get those if I was planing of running 2.1 or smaller xc tires. The i23 would be better for 2.2 and larger tires. At your weight I would pick the i23 over i19 unless it was a race wheelset that had to be as light as possible.

meow, meow.
    +1 for i23 over i19. You'll hardly notice the weight. I'd even run them with 2.0" if I was racing.

mtbr member
    Another vote for going i23 over i19 unless they were going to be race specific with a 2.1 or smaller tire on them.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input.

Does this look like a good deal? Also how do you know if you could use 15mm thru axle? I am putting these on a Trek Cobia with the stock Recon shock.

WTB Frequency I23 29er Tubeless Mountain Bike Wheelset SRAM x9 Hub 6 Bolt Disc | eBay

WTB Frequency I23 29er Mountain Wheelset SRAM x9 15mm thru Axle Front Hub 6 Bolt | eBay

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input.

Does this look like a good deal? Also how do you know if you could use 15mm thru axle? I am putting these on a Trek Cobia with the stock Recon shock.

WTB Frequency I23 29er Tubeless Mountain Bike Wheelset SRAM x9 Hub 6 Bolt Disc | eBay

WTB Frequency I23 29er Mountain Wheelset SRAM x9 15mm thru Axle Front Hub 6 Bolt | eBay
    The specs of the fork will dictate what type of axle/skewer setup you will need. I'm pretty sure the Recon on the Cobia is standard Quick Release which would make a 15mm thru axle not work. Most hubs are pretty easily converted though. I would bring bike to LBS and they'll help you or ask the people you're considering purchasing from the technical questions.
    Looking at the pictures of the hubs on the two ads on the ebay ads should give you your answer on what type of skewer/axle system you have. I'm guessing you have the the type in the first ad.

mtbr member
    Laced up some King hubs, dt comp spokes and i23's yesterday. They feel pretty burly. Hoping to get a ride on them today.

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-dsc_0882.jpg

Bicycle Addict
    I hope to get a ride on these soon. I am waiting for a new frame to put them on. They feel pretty solid and aren't as heavy as I thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-imag0648.jpg  

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-imag0650.jpg  

Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

Ordered a set today. Can't wait to try them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Does anyone know maximum rider weight and maximum tire pressure for i19 and i23?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sergey_1987 View Post
    Does anyone know maximum rider weight and maximum tire pressure for i19 and i23?
    I can't imagine a rim this burly having a max rider weight, it's going to be more about quality of the person doing the wheel build and perhaps using stronger spokes in lacing them up. Someone else mentioned that they don't make this rim in a 36 hole drilling so if your a superclyde, that isn't an option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thank you. So, front wheel (on suspension fork) laced on i19, DT revolution spokes and Syncros hub will be ok for non-agressive riding (city and light XC without drops) for a 200lbs person? Also if I set 622*32 tire at 70psi wouldn't I damage the i19 rim?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thank you. So, front wheel (on suspension fork) laced on i19, DT revolution spokes and Syncros hub will be ok for non-agressive riding (city and light XC without drops) for a 200lbs person? Also if I set 622*32 tire at 70psi wouldn't I damage the i19 rim?
    Why would you want to run that much pressure? I'm 250lbs and even when I'm riding out on the streets I only take it up to about 45-50psi max?

At 200lbs you can ride on pretty much any mtb rim you want for the riding style you mention, just dont try to ride anything with too low of spoke count.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    Why would you want to run that much pressure? I'm 250lbs and even when I'm riding out on the streets I only take it up to about 45-50psi max?
    I was wondering if the rim is going to explode under 70psi pressure. I pump that because I use narrow semi-slick (Nokian Ravagozzi Cross S 622*30) with 65-90psi recommended inflation perssure. For XC I use Maxxis Aspen 29*2.25 at 30-50psi.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

I was wondering if the rim is going to explode under 70psi pressure. I pump that because I use narrow semi-slick (Nokian Ravagozzi Cross S 622*30) with 65-90psi recommended inflation perssure. For XC I use Maxxis Aspen 29*2.25 at 30-50psi.
    Gotcha. Im pretty confident you will be fine as you have to remember that mtb wheels dont have a braketrack that is getting worn down that can become a weak point

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast