Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the concurrence. I couldn't find the 30mm wide wtb or stans tape locally so I said Gorilla to the rescue. It may be a little heavier than yellow tape but thicker w adhesive should allow for better tire to rim mismatch of any combo. I feels super light still so I'm happy. The rims also seem very stiff compared to the Flow's I had, and I am already running the Industry 9 aluminum spoked wheels that are very stiff already. That I-beam design is good stuff! The has become more stable and less peaky, it still has a very round profile for my preferred riding style. It seems the narrower rim made the tire feel more like I was riding on a knife edge of sorts. Now I can't wait to throw the front through some turns. The ride with jus the rear new made me really notice the difference in profile.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Oh and I use the Bontrager sealant now instead of stans. I like it and it should last longer since its synthetic latex I believe.

mtbr member
    Wheel spec on my TBLTc 29er
    Front Hub DT 350
    Rear Hub DT 350
    Rims WTB Frequency Team i23 TCS
    Spokes DT 14/15 spokes, alloy nipples

Anyone have an idea on what these weigh?

transmitter~receiver

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Front HubDT 350
    Rear HubDT 350
    RimsWTB Frequency Team i23 TCS
    SpokesDT 14/15 spokes, alloy nipples

1,850g
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    1,850g
    Hmmm, not bad. Thanks bro!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Front Hub DT 350
    Rear Hub DT 350
    Rims WTB Frequency Team i23 TCS
    Spokes DT 14/15 spokes, alloy nipples

FWIW I have the same bike (2014) and same wheels. On my scale the wheels measure 1950g (wheels only; no rotors/bolts or cassette)

mtbr member
    Ok wake up thread!
    Wondering how these wheel sets have faired over time.?
    I myself have been riding wtb i23 wt69 versions 26rear/650b front for a couple months now.
    Mine are laced to hope pro2 evo hubs with 32 dbl dt swiss comp spokes.
    So far I am very impressed they are very stiff wheels. So much easier to control in chunky chunkier.
    I stripped the stickers off mine. Going for a "murdered out" red black theme on my buildnot original I know...
    " I only Ride Enduro'

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    Ive been riding on the older 7000 series i23's and the rear finally had a spoke pull through the rim. Hopefully my shop and WTB can work something out.
    Can't a guy get bombed and call his ex at 3 in the morning without it meaning something?!

meow, meow.
    Finally I've gotten around to build a wheelset with Frequency i25 Team rims. Measured ERD is 537 mm as claimed, like i23, so it's not a uniformly scaled up i23 profile. Weights are 478 and 497 g, which is rather big difference compared to ZTR rims. Anodizing quality is notably better than all i23 instances which I handled. Overall, I'd say i25 may be regarded as drop-in replacement for i23, that is with those weights I no longer see where i23 would suit better than i25. Maybe even to the point where i25 becomes *the* MTB rim of choice, unless one wants something specifically different.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    I am looking forward to riding on my i25 29" wheels..just a few more weeks and I should be rollin again. REad aftrer read it stays positive with the Frequency I-beam
    Should be sweet!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by djr8505 View Post
    Ive been riding on the older 7000 series i23's and the rear finally had a spoke pull through the rim. Hopefully my shop and WTB can work something out.
    I can say from personal experience WTB at least in my case has some of the best customer service Ive ever seen!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Overall, I'd say i25 may be regarded as drop-in replacement for i23, that is with those weights I no longer see where i23 would suit better than i25. Maybe even to the point where i25 becomes *the* MTB rim of choice, unless one wants something specifically different.
    Been on the i25 since it came out and agree, 4$ at this point in time, never tried the i23 but have tried the first Flow.. If the next i25 bead profile is the same, and even spoke tension can be improved, the i25 is "*the* mtb rim of choice, unless one wants something specifically different"

mtbr member
    What's a good price on the i25 rims? I can get them for $50 shipped each. I'm thinking about building up a new set of wheels for my Cannondale that's currently rolling on i19's (stock). I'd like something wider and better hubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    FIFTY bucks? oh are you talking about 26"?
    29" is $70 everywere...give or take a few bucks.
    I talked my wife into using her Amazon acount to buy mine LOL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Nope. 29er. $44 per rim plus $12 shipping for one or two rims. So two rims comes to $100 shipped. So I'll take it that's a good deal...lol...I'll probably order them up tomorrow when I get my pay check in the bank. I'll just have to save a while for the hubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Where are you getting this price?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Nope. 29er. $44 per rim plus $12 shipping for one or two rims. So two rims comes to $100 shipped. So I'll take it that's a good deal...lol...I'll probably order them up tomorrow when I get my pay check in the bank. I'll just have to save a while for the hubs.

meow, meow.
    I've been brought a pair of CRC-bought i23 (WT69) labeled rims recently for wheelset build. One of them was an actual i23, another, much to my surprise, turned out to be an i25. Customer didn't notice this so I told them.

Anodizing quality is good on both.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    I've been brought a pair of CRC-bought i23 (WT69) labeled rims recently for wheelset build. One of them was an actual i23, another, much to my surprise, turned out to be an i25. Customer didn't notice this so I told them.

Anodizing quality is good on both.

Interested in getting some 650b i23 or i25 wheels built with hope pro 2 evo hubs. Which is better i23 or i25 these would be going on a 6 in travel AM rig. He hubs I can get come in 32 and 36 hole, which is preferred? Finally what kind of spokes are recommend.

I can can get the rims 50% off cause I work in the industry. So I figure that's going to save me a little cash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    Interested in getting some 650b i23 or i25 wheels built with hope pro 2 evo hubs. Which is better i23 or i25 these would be going on a 6 in travel AM rig. He hubs I can get come in 32 and 36 hole, which is preferred? Finally what kind of spokes are recommend.

I can can get the rims 50% off cause I work in the industry. So I figure that's going to save me a little cash.
    This week, i25 is better. Next week, i25 will be old news and you will have to sell them.

meow, meow.
    Well, he doesn't have either ) so I'd go with i25.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Depends on tires, I'd think... flimsy sidewalls? Probably i25. i23 is what I'd choose. I like the lesser rotational weight and i25 is kinda overkill unless you want the stronger rim for downhilling/freeride. Heck, I'd even consider dropping down to i21 if they offered it in similar strength. The rim width game is kinda silly imo, unless running thin walled tires. Lower pressures due to higher volume? Can't do that without ripping a tire off the rim, so no benefit to me. Plus I like Minion DHFs, which have a great profile on 23mm rims.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Depends on tires, I'd think... flimsy sidewalls? Probably i25. i23 is what I'd choose. I like the lesser rotational weight and i25 is kinda overkill unless you want the stronger rim for downhilling/freeride. Heck, I'd even consider dropping down to i21 if they offered it in similar strength. The rim width game is kinda silly imo, unless running thin walled tires. Lower pressures due to higher volume? Can't do that without ripping a tire off the rim, so no benefit to me. Plus I like Minion DHFs, which have a great profile on 23mm rims.
    Wait... you like the lower rotational weight of the 23s, which are "overkill unless you want the stronger rim for downhilling" so you can pair them with 2-1/2 pound, 2-ply downhill tires?!? Makes sense...
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

For my non-DH/FR wheelset, I use single ply versions of DHFs (Exos). The flimsy sidewall tires I refer to are specificly single ply lightweight-design tires (usually, but not always, XC-oriented tires). Not all single ply tires have the same sidewall integrity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just finished building my wheelset. Will test it on the trails this weekend..

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-image.jpg

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-image.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    Ok wake up thread!
    Wondering how these wheel sets have faired over time.?
    I myself have been riding wtb i23 wt69 versions 26rear/650b front for a couple months now.
    Mine are laced to hope pro2 evo hubs with 32 dbl dt swiss comp spokes.
    So far I am very impressed they are very stiff wheels. So much easier to control in chunky chunkier.
    I stripped the stickers off mine. Going for a "murdered out" red black theme on my buildnot original I know...
    I have had a set of these running since early 2013, IIRC. I bent one beyond repair when I hit tree washing out on a turn, but that MIGHT be rider error. I relaced it up to another i23 and beat the piss out it since.

Both are still rock solid. For the $60 I paid for the rims, they are a great deal.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast