Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
    You are lucky, I can't get my i23's to seat at all with specialized 2bliss
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WyF29qi...%3DWyF29qi82Ws

If you follow this video, the guy shows how to get the tire into the bead groove BEFORE attempting to air up. I have Specialized Fast Trak Control 2.2s ony i23s and they wouldn't inflate until I seated the beads. Once you do that, you won't even need to remove the valve core. Inflate without sealant, get the tires all evenly seated, deflate, open a small opening to funnel in however much sealant you want, re inflate. It's pretty darn easy once you seat the bead.

Chris Bling
    Its pretty weird that some folks have nothing but good to say about the i23s and others think that they are garbage. I would love to try some, but not sure what way to trust right now...
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have been riding with mine for a few weeks so far and I have no complaints. They are holding up great (I know short period of time) but I would recommend especially for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Its pretty weird that some folks have nothing but good to say about the i23s and others think that they are garbage. I would love to try some, but not sure what way to trust right now...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

I have been riding 2 wheelsets built by 4Slomo with i23 rims for quite a while with a variety of tires set up tubeless with Stan's, and I have been real impressed.

My first set was probably one of the first with commercially-available i23 rims (7000 alloy) and the second set was among the first with the new alloy (WT69). I have ridden these wheels hard on a wide variety of surfaces/conditions. I have bottomed out on rocks, slid sideways, crashed, come to abrupt stops up against trees/rocks, etc. And I am no weight weenie. I weight 200 lbs before clothes/water/gear, and tend to carry way more stuff than I need.

Anyways, the rims on both wheelsets still look like new, and they are still true as arrows. 4Slomo built them with DB spokes, brass nipples and CK hubs (1 geared and 1 SS).

I have inflated tires tubeless with a floor pump and with a compressor. Best approach all-round seems to be: inflate the tire with a tube, ride it or let it set a day, then pull the tube and go with liquid. I have run Geax, WTB, Specialized and Bontrager tires in this fashion without problems.

Just a quick review of my experience over the last couple years, since it appears there are others with different results.

Chris Bling
    That is good to know. Are all of your tires designated 'tubeless tires', or are you running non-ust as well?
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

All now are some variant of "tubeless ready", i.e., TNT for Geax, TCS for WTB, etc. I am no tire expert, but I think this means UST bead and some form of non-UST casing.

I ran some non-tubeless ready/non-UST tires with Stan's and no tubes for a period of time. But the results were too unpredictable. Not worth it for me, especially considering how reliable and fool-proof my current combination is -- i23 (UST) rims. Stan's liquid and tubeless ready tires.

mtbr member

A classic i23 wheel set hits the trail

Don came to me not too long ago to build him a set of wheels for his birthday, a present to himself. He settled on 26er Frequency i23 black 32h rims, brass silver nipples, silver WS DB14 double butted spokes, and Hadley XC/SDH QR 32h silver hubs. Rotating weight 1,882g. They built up laterally and radially very true and have somewhat of an old school look to them, with the black and silver matching his frame colors. One thing about the silver finishes is that it is quite durable, his wheels are going to look great for a long time.

Name:  20131107_WTBFreqi23_WSDB14_HadleyXC_front_mtbr_P1050457.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  86.8 KBName:  20131107_WTBFreqi23_WSDB14_HadleySDH_rear_mtbr_P1050460.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  86.5 KB

His initial riding impressions: "I have about 20miles on the wheels so far and they are fantastic (they are mounted on my hard tail) I've taken it down through El Prieto 3X now and the wheels are solid and smooth!"
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member

Bike packing, gravel grinding, internal gearing, weight carrying

About two weeks ago I completed a custom rear wheel build for Eugenemtbing. He bike packs and also rides gravel roads, among many other XC & AM rides. For bike packing he uses a tubeless 2.4" wide UST tire, and needs to mount a cyclocross 35C tire on the wheel when swapping it for gravel grinding on another bike. So the requirements are for a quite versatile wheel. The rim selection was a WTB Frequency i23 29er rim to meet the tire requirements. Due to the bike packing weight carrying requirements, the spokes are Sapim Strong single butted spokes laced x3. For simplicity, and to minimize effects of errant sticks, he selected a Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub. Here's a photo:
    Name:  20131217_Freqencyi23_SapimStrong_Alfine_rear_mtbr_P1050486.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  101.6 KB
    Rotating weight (due to the hub): 2,496g!

meow, meow.
    Why Sapim Strong and not Sapim Force (or DT Alpine 3)?
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    It turns out that there are two overriding design requirements for this wheel build:

The hub flange spoke hole diameters are about 2.9 mm. I'm willing to put a 2.0 mm j-bend in up to a 2.5-2.6 mm diameter flange spoke hole. That limits spoke choices to j-bends with a minimum 2.3 mm diameter (the Sapim Force has a 2.18 mm diameter at the j-bend).

Secondly, the wheel build design is for a load of about 300 pounds (including rider, bike and bikepacking equipment). A 1.8 mm butted section does not give adequate durability and performance for this weight. That drops out the DT Swiss Alpine III.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Why Sapim Strong and not Sapim Force (or DT Alpine 3)?

meow, meow.
    Oh, 2.9 mm is a bit too much indeed. I once had to build a 26" wheel with a huge and heavy 3 kW motor hub and 2.0 mm spokes. The hub had 3.9 mm (no typo, three point nine) holes; I used stacks of different sized brass washers. For all I know the wheel served fine (which I attribute to the beefy rim), but it certainly was not pleasant to build.

But as for the load, do we ever get so much dynamically added tension on a spoke that the sum exceeds static tension by more than several percent? I haven't seen spokes, even 1.5 mm in diameter (or those rolled flat from 1.5 mm round spoke), exceeding their yield strength in any riding situation, including rims being destroyed by radially directed shock. (Unless of course the spokes were compromised during build by twisting too much, or a foreign object such as a rock or horse hoof hit them -- that I saw happen, and I can say that no wheel is horseproof!) What I think we should worry about with excess load is the possible momentary loss of spoke tension near contact patch. This is where fat J-bends and threadlocking come into play.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Got my Alfine 8/WTB i23 29er wheel from Steve. It is a beauty. I am not surprised, as Steve/4slomo has built other fantastic wheels for me.

I am still collecting the Alfine bits I need to make this conversion on my 29er bikepacker. I was impressed, though, with the care Steve put into building this wheel -- and even the way he packaged it for shipping. Everything orderly and well protected. And he knew it was for bikepacking, so he included extra spokes -- drive-side and non-drive-side spokes carefully labeled.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Mounted a Geax Saguaro TNT to the rim last night. These i23 rims are so great. A little soapy water, some Stan's liquid, a few pushes on the floor pump, and it's done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo View Post
    It turns out that there are two overriding design requirements for this wheel build:

The hub flange spoke hole diameters are about 2.9 mm. I'm willing to put a 2.0 mm j-bend in up to a 2.5-2.6 mm diameter flange spoke hole. That limits spoke choices to j-bends with a minimum 2.3 mm diameter (the Sapim Force has a 2.18 mm diameter at the j-bend).

Secondly, the wheel build design is for a load of about 300 pounds (including rider, bike and bikepacking equipment). A 1.8 mm butted section does not give adequate durability and performance for this weight. That drops out the DT Swiss Alpine III.
    Can I post my builds /advertise here also?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If they're frequencies of course you can Fred. I've been riding my i25 9rs for a couple of months and very pleased with the performance. XT 785 and 788 hubs they built up nicely.

mtbr member
    Hi guys,
    I've just seen the thread below WTB Frequency i23 rim cracks???? regarding fails on the i23's and I was wondering if any of you had the same problem.

Is it just on the old rims with the 7000 alloy or there's a problem with the WT69 series alloy?
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    Hi guys,
    I've just seen the thread below WTB Frequency i23 rim cracks???? regarding fails on the i23's and I was wondering if any of you had the same problem.

Is it just on the old rims with the 7000 alloy or there's a problem with the WT69 series alloy?
    The 7000 alloy was problematic, the WT69 is all good.

meow, meow.
    No cracking issues reported so far on any i19s and i23s that I built with over these years (with both alloys). I keep max tensions within 1200 N. As for rider weights that I remember, well.. no one is over 100 kg.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Thanks a mil guys.
    I'll go for it then!
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I hammered a set of 29er I23s and now the 27.5s. Really like them. I killed a rear and a front last year, but not too suprising. They lasted a lot longer than they should have. Aside from 1 small ding in the 27.5 rear, they're doing even better. I've blown a bead twice, both times running a Specialized Butcher Control. That tire mounts really, really easily and I no longer use them. Never had a problem with Maxxis. All mount up pretty easily.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jselwyn View Post
    Never had a problem with Maxxis. All mount up pretty easily.
    TR or not?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    TR or not?
    Both. Run Ikon on the rear in 2.35 Exo NON-TR just fine in some pretty rough terrain. Try and use TR/Exo, but I wouldn't worry about it if you found a good deal.

Chris Bling
    I tried to mount a non TR EXO Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on a i23 wheelset with a tube to see if it would hold and it blew off the rim at about 35psi. Scared the $#!* out of me and left my ears ringing.

Every TR or UST tire I have installed on the i23's, KOM's or i25's went on with minimal effort and seated the bead with a floor pump.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Frequency i25s are sick!!!!

Hey guys I finally pulled the trigger on i25s and laced em up on my i9 wheels and they are sick. I've been chiming in on tire choice and coming from the original flow rims w non tubeless tires tape but had to use Stans rubber rim strips too. But now the i25s w gorilla tape only and Bontrager xr4 team 2.35 non tubeless work perfect!!! Saved weight w/o strips and tape is super cheap. Loving these wheels. Trying the front in dirt today for the first time.Attachment 893051

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    +1 on the i25's mated with Bonty XR4 tires and gorilla tape. I had an issue on the rear getting a good seal with the WTB tubeless tape and decided to try gorilla instead -- cheaper and better!

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast