Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by VO2 Lax View Post
    I'm having a heck of a time trying to seat my i23 s ti a set of nano tcs tires, sealant, 28 mm rim tape wtb valves, everything WTB. New to tubeless also, any tricks or tips? Using a high pressure hand pump, will an air compressor help guarantee a seating? Oh this is for a29er setup too.
    A high volume pump from top peak (i think they call it mountain or something)
    Also, take the valve core out of the stem, pump it up and let it seat. Wait a minute, then let the air back out (slowly). Replace the core and pump to desire pressure.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What a pain in the ass this tubeless process was. Used the air compressor, no go! So WTB's claim of seating it with a floor pump, is just that, a marketing claim. I'm sure it worked for some but not on my 29er wheels. Not bashing WTB, but I should've of know that marketing is marketing.

To get it to work, I had to put in a tube, seat the tires, take out the tube so that one side is seated and then pumped it up with the air compressor and it finally worked. Not immediately, but after a few tries. Once seated, I deflated, took out the air core, and added Stan's via syringe, and re-pump.

After the wheel set, unplanned TCS tires, rim tape, valves, misc. tubeless stuff, and air compressor, my tubeless curiosity set me back an close or over $1K. Sheesh...

Hope it's worth it. I've yet to have a flat with tubes and tire liner, I know it's more weight but I'm not a gram counter and snake bites are very RARE with my low tire pressures.

At least I got an air compressor?
    simma down now, you f'd this up i know half a dozen people with wtb tcs rims and none of the issues you mention. I seated mine with a floor pump. when I initially had trouble it was because i didn't use enough soap suds. Redid it with a liberal amount of soap suds on the tire and the rim and got it to seat right away with the floor pump. also using geax tires

mtbr member
    I don't think he used soapy water. I recommended it on the previous page and I don't think he took the tip.

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Why would I use soapy water if wtb claims you don't need it. Bottom line is this, I used everything fro the wtb tcs line and it didn't seat for me with a hand pump. And yes the tape I was tight. I'm not pissed off, Just sharing an experience. Im glad you guys had success with with other tire brands but im not going to buy an arsenal of tires to see which works.

mtbr member

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

Never had an issue with TCS tires on i23's. I've used three different TCS tires (Moto's, Bronson's and Weirwolf's) and all mounted with a floor pump. I've also mounted a non TCS Wolverine and a Maxxis TLR tire. I bet your issues came down to technique.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I'm not pissed off, Just sharing an experience.
    And we are just curious, so in case we can identify some problem/mistake we could learn from it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Why would I use soapy water if wtb claims you don't need it.
    Because it costs like 5 cents and it works. The only time i have trouble seating tubeless tires on my i23 or mavic ust rims is when i didnt use soapy water.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    You are right it could've boiled down to technique, as stated In my postings I'm new to tubeless and my curiosity was an expensive one. So I'm hoping to let some other guy that's sitting around wondering if he/she gets all wtb tcs stuff it might not be as easy as they think or make it out to be, especially if you're new to tubeless. Or it might be easy and they can share their Experience as a newbie to tubeless and let others decide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    WTB TCS - very easy to use
    My first tubless experience went very smooth with a floor pump
    Schwalbe SnakeSkin - a pain
    Had to use the method with the tube, seat on one side and pray that the other side will seat. This is because of the stiff sidewalls
    Continental Protection - same as Schwalbe - a pain due to stiff sidewalls
    Maxxis UST - very easy with a floor pump

mtbr member
    Why would I use soapy water if wtb claims you don't need it. Bottom line is this, I used everything fro the wtb tcs line and it didn't seat for me with a hand pump.
    As Dr. Phil would say. "How did that work out for you?"

Bottom line is you posted in and people offered advice that had experience with these rims and you chose to ignore them. That is your decision. Glad you got them done though.

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    As Dr. Phil would say. "How did that work out for you?"

Bottom line is you posted in and people offered advice that had experience with these rims and you chose to ignore them. That is your decision. Glad you got them done though.
    I get your point, what I'm trying to do is let someone that's curious about the WTB TCS system to know that it might not be as easy as marketing states, even if you use all of their products. I did all the research and watched all the videos about how you don't need an air compress, or soap suds, etc., etc., so I was just trying to see if I can do they as claim. If my tube method didn't work, I would've tried the soap suds, but I didn't get to that next level. Plus most peoples experience was a mix and match of tires and rims and soap suds.

I am sure there are a lot of successful users out there, I was not one of them. And I'm sure it had to do something with my experience in mounting tubeless tires. So newbies to tubeless beware, your curiosity might end up costing you a bit more than planned. That's all I'm trying to say.

meow, meow.
    Well, some tire-rim combos are just a beetch to set up tubeless even if they are both UST. I remember having to fight with a pair of Continental Mountain King 2.2" UST and Mavic XM819 Disc back in 2008. Did the soap trick, the belt trick, had high volume track pump, but sweated profusely while working the pump nevertheless. XC Schwalbes and Maxxises of the time set up quickly on the same rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Using soapy water is standard operating procedure. Any vendor telling you that it's not is simply marketing hype. Now that you know this, try it again using soapy water and I'm sure you will be much happier with the process. The only issue I have had is a tire that was somewhat tough to get mounted onto the rim but that makes me feel good knowing that it probably won't blow off in a catastrophe either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm not getting them, but somebody should...
    Art's Cyclery Pro Build Pro AM Wheelset

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    Using soapy water is standard operating procedure. Any vendor telling you that it's not is simply marketing hype. Now that you know this, try it again using soapy water and I'm sure you will be much happier with the process.
    I pretty much never used soapy water now. Works as is. Maybe dab a bit of sealant on the bead before pumping it up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ok guys, has anyone used I23 rims with a Race Bronson 2.3 stans rim tape and rim strip? I currently am running Flow rims and the thin sidewall allows for easy flat spots but overall very strong and the sidewall can be bent back. However, I don't want this issue and hte Flow EX's are wide but heavier supposedly. So I'm looking to replace a flow with a I23 and I currently use the rim strip to keep the tire on cuz the yellow tape didn't work.
    Does the WTB tape work better or worse thant he yellow tape?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suspman View Post
    Ok guys, has anyone used I23 rims with a Race Bronson 2.3 stans rim tape and rim strip? I currently am running Flow rims and the thin sidewall allows for easy flat spots but overall very strong and the sidewall can be bent back. However, I don't want this issue and hte Flow EX's are wide but heavier supposedly. So I'm looking to replace a flow with a I23 and I currently use the rim strip to keep the tire on cuz the yellow tape didn't work.
    Yellow tape is yellow tape regardless of who packages it, it's all the same.
    I've never had to use anything but one layer of tape to have a tire mount
    without issue on either a Stan's rim (Arch or FlowEX) or the i23.
    I've only used the TCS Bronsons and not the race version, but I believe
    the only difference is the sidewall. The bead should be the same.

mtbr member
    Eugenemtbing used a Bronson Race 2.3 on a Frequency i23 rim and blew it off. He changed to a TCS Bronson and had excellent results since. The WTB tape is supposedly rebranded Stans tape.

Quote Originally Posted by suspman View Post
    Last edited by 4slomo; 03-19-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo View Post
    Eugenemtb used a Bronson Race 2.3 on a Frequency i23 rim and blew it off. He changed to a TCS Bronson and had excellent results since. The WTB tape is supposedly rebranded Stans tape.
    Yep I'm wrong they do have different beads. The TCS will be a better choice for a tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hmm, so it sounds like swapping a rim strip for a tcs bead, weight wise at least. I blew a tire off a flow w just tape and required the flow strip and had no problems. I would just like to not use the tcs tires as they are sooooo heavy. I run Flows with strips and Nevegals and never burped em or got close to de beading them. I wonder if the WTB bead lock works imilarly to the Stans Bead socket, minus the shorter rim sidewall that is?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

WTB was kind enough to send me a free TCS replacement on my Bronson Race, and I have many miles on it running tubeless with yellow tape and sealant on an i23 rim. Great volume and grip -- it made a good first impression on me for WTB TCS tires.

And, yes, the non-TCS Bronson blew off my i23 on a downhill when I was running it without a tube and just sealant and tape. Since then, I have stuck with tires with UST-type beads (TCS/TNT/TLR/etc.) on my i23 wheels -- all if which are fantastic and built by 4slomo. Have had zero problems since.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cool thanks.

mtbr member

Does this i23 rim make my rear (tire) look fat?

I recently completed a 29er wheelset using the new Frequency i23 WT69 rims for Eugenemtbing. I got really nice results building the wheels, using CK hubs, CX-Ray spokes, and i23 rims.
    WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-20130305_freq-i23_ws-db14_ck-iso_rear_mtbr_p1040925.jpg
    New 29er wheelset
    Last edited by 4slomo; 03-19-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Ooooo, the new offerings from WTB look good. A new KOM i23 (lighter rim), and even an i25!

WTB's New Enduro, Tubeless CX, And Pavement Tires - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So, any idea when they will be out?

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast