Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

Quote Originally Posted by sergey_1987 View Post
    I was wondering if the rim is going to explode under 70psi pressure. I pump that because I use narrow semi-slick (Nokian Ravagozzi Cross S 622*30) with 65-90psi recommended inflation perssure. For XC I use Maxxis Aspen 29*2.25 at 30-50psi.
    Gotcha. Im pretty confident you will be fine as you have to remember that mtb wheels dont have a braketrack that is getting worn down that can become a weak point

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    Laced up some King hubs, dt comp spokes and i23's yesterday. They feel pretty burly. Hoping to get a ride on them today.

Attachment 770122
    Any chance you can reveal what spoke lengths you used for your I23 and your CK hubs??

I thinking I will building a new rear wheel up soon.

It will be my first jump into wheel building, so I'm ordering extra patients with my spokes..............What could go wrong...............
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    buy the rims and take erd measurements yourself. the rims you receive could be slightly different from the rims he got and that can be enough to throw your build totally out of wack.

meow, meow.
    I'll +1 on that, given weight variations of 26" sized i23 rims found in this thread (450-480 g or so).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    buy the rims and take erd measurements yourself. the rims you receive could be slightly different from the rims he got and that can be enough to throw your build totally out of wack.
    Thanks, I will do that. I guess it's the same old, same old..................your mileage my vary.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 02-14-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Wheels came in today. They are tubeless ready but don't I need to add some Stan's rim tape to cover the spoke holes?

mtbr member

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Wheels came in today. They are tubeless ready but don't I need to add some Stan's rim tape to cover the spoke holes?
    Yep you'll need some yellow tape and sealant.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yes, you need tape. WTB has this WTB TCS Rim Tape > Components > Tires and Tubes > Rim Strips | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop you also need the tubeless valves or did they include them?

Stan's No Tubes Universal Presta Valves > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tube Misc. Parts | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Thanks...I have a roll of stans tape and sealant already. I need to pick up some valves tomorrow.

One more question. You only need to put the tape around the rim once?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks...I have a roll of stans tape and sealant already. I need to pick up some valves tomorrow.

One more question. You only need to put the tape around the rim once?
    yes. I don't know what wheels you ended up going with but i know wtb makes tape rolls specific to the width of their rims but as long as the spoke holes are covered I don't see why it would really matter.

What tires are you going with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    What tires are you going with?
    Geax TNT Seguaro
    Geax TNT AKA

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Geax TNT Seguaro
    Geax TNT AKA
    Nice, I'm a newbie to mtb and I got a deal on Geax Mezcal tnt and they mounted up super easy with a pump. They have very little tread and it's winter here in NY so I just got a set of geax sturdys which also mounted up easy with a pump. The mezcals were a very fast rolling tire. Couldn't find much info on them. They probbly didn't sell very well hence me getting them for less than $30 a tire which is unheard of for a tubeless ready tire. Vittoria makes great road bike tires which is why I decided to go with the GEAX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I used 259mm for front disk side and 260mm for the rest of the spokes. That was what I calculated using 537 erd and the dt swiss spoke calculator. Length was perfect. After the wheels were tensioned almost all the spoke threads came to the bottom of the nipple driver slot or whith in a thread. My hubs are dt swiss 240 12x142 rear and a 20mm thru axle OS 240 in the front. They were easier to build and true compared to the flows I built last year.
    Thanks for the reply.

One more question I can't seem to find the answer to. Is there any special way to lace them since they are "4D" drilled? It appears it is just that you use the left side holes in the rim for left side of hub. But I wasn't sure if it is more specific than that. As in each hole specifically for one of the 4 positions on each side.

meow, meow.
    Yes, it is more specific, in that they are drilled for 3 cross lacing with a typical sized hub (say, 38-62 mm hole circle diameter flanges).

mtbr member
    Finally got these out on the trails.

My initial impressions is I like them. There are a couple hundred grams lighter than what I had and the hubs are noticeably better than what I had.

Couple of things I didn't like was the stickers and the paint scratches easily. I liked part of the stickers but some of it seemed like an advertisement and I didn't care to see all of the features of the wheel on the sticker.

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-oklahoma-city-20130224-00060.jpg

mtbr member
    Couple of things I didn't like was the stickers and the paint scratches easily. I liked part of the stickers but some of it seemed like an advertisement and I didn't care to see all of the features of the wheel on the sticker.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oklahoma City-20130224-00060.jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	264.1 KB 
ID:	775118
    Agreed, unfortunately it seems to be how all hoops and tires are now.

mtbr member
    Agreed, unfortunately it seems to be how all hoops and tires are now.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Did not post it here when I got them - the pair I had weighted in at 448 and 488g, with stickers. That seems a bit on the high side of variations. Heavier goes in the back wheel, so it is good.

What weights did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    I'll +1 on that, given weight variations of 26" sized i23 rims found in this thread (450-480 g or so).

For 40g difference, thickness of the rims, measured with digital calipers, was within 0.05mm between those two.

Lightly salted
    [QUOTE=Axe;10191731]Did not post it here when I got them - the pair I had weighted in at 448 and 488g, with stickers. That seems a bit on the high side of variations. Heavier goes in the back wheel, so it is good.

What weights did you get?

[QUOTE]

My 26" i23 rims came in at 452g and 453g with the stickers removed.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm interested in a set of 26" i23 rims, how would standard maxis ardent 2.25 and a 2.5 minion work with these rims if I was to try and set them up tubeless. I had read they work better with tubeless ready tires. Would flow ex be a better option?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyninja View Post
    I'm interested in a set of 26" i23 rims, how would standard maxis ardent 2.25 and a 2.5 minion work with these rims if I was to try and set them up tubeless. I had read they work better with tubeless ready tires. Would flow ex be a better option?
    2.25 would be fine on an i23. I think if you want to run big daddy's like the 2.5 Minion you would be better off with a FlowEX.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    2.25 would be fine on an i23. I think if you want to run big daddy's like the 2.5 Minion you would be better off with a FlowEX.
    Why do you think that that tiny, non-standard bead on EX will be better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Why do you think that that tiny, non-standard bead on EX will be better?
    Was actually just considering the width of the rim itself. My FlowEX's give my wider tires (only 2.35) a better profile than my i23's did.
    I'd imagine that 2.5 beast like the Minion would only benefit that much more.

Also, I've never had an issue with Maxxis tires on Stan's hoops.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Was actually just considering the width of the rim itself. My FlowEX's give my wider tires (only 2.35) a better profile than my i23's did.
    I can't get around trusting a bead that is half the size that the tire was designed to use. Obviously, YMMV. Do not know about Maxxis.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I can't get around trusting a bead that is half the size that the tire was designed to use. Obviously, YMMV. Do not know about Maxxis.
    I agree. The tires are design for use with hook bead rims. The Notubes rims have little hook and the inner sidewall height is lower than the height of the tire bead.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast