Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
    Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Pretty much what mestapho said.

I've got a mix of Arch, Flow, and i19 rims in use on three different bikes - functionally, when getting them up and running tubeless, I've not been able to tell a difference. They've all been equally easy.

Caveat: all with yellow tape, a cup of sealant, and either tubeless ready or full UST tires.

I'm not a hack, ride fairly smoothly, am only 150# soaking wet, and have not been gentle with any of them - they're all working beautifully.

If you're a much larger mammal, or ride like a bowling ball, then the wider rims may work out better, or if you want to run biiiig tires.
    I am a bit larger fella, 220 lbs, and I currently use Archs without issue. I'm looking at the i19 because of its price. I can get it about $30 cheaper than the Arch. I was just concerned about the width of the rim. I may give them a try on my single speed. Thanks for the input scrublover.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    10 months on WTB i23 set up with db spokes on King hubs, Geax Gato Tubeless ready 28psi. Downieville runs, 1500 ft local downhill runs, and I ride 3 or 4 days per week. Rim rode 1/2 mile out on a flat tire once(on smooth dirt). These are GREAT. Took to wheelbuilder after 10 months, and they did not need to really true wheel. Justin just kinda inspected on truing stand, gave a few nipples a twist to make sure tension was there. Wrench Science built me great wheels. They use spoke tension gauge (as I am sure all professional wheelbuilders do), I am SO glad I did not try to build these myself.

Bicycle Addict
    I just ordered a set from my LBS today. I'm pretty excited to ride them. They will be laced to a White Industries Eno Eccentric hub.
    Bearded Women Racing

Lightly salted
    I got my new i23 rims yesturday and built them up today on dt swiss 240 hubs using brass nipples and comp spokes. Very solid feel to them. These are replacing an old set of 2010 mavic sx wheels. I built myself flows on dt swiss 240's last year and the i23 rims feel noticably stronger. I removed the i23 stickers and weighted them at 453g and 452g for the 2 rims. That seems much lighter than the advertised 475g per rim? I have left over 25mm stans tape, will that be ok to use for the i23's? Wtb recommendeds 28mm tape, but would like to use the stans since I already have it. Will the 25mm tape work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I got my new i23 rims yesturday and built them up today on dt swiss 240 hubs using brass nipples and comp spokes. Very solid feel to them. These are replacing an old set of 2010 mavic sx wheels. I built myself flows on dt swiss 240's last year and the i23 rims feel noticably stronger. I removed the i23 stickers and weighted them at 453g and 452g for the 2 rims. That seems much lighter than the advertised 475g per rim? I have left over 25mm stans tape, will that be ok to use for the i23's? Wtb recommendeds 28mm tape, but would like to use the stans since I already have it. Will the 25mm tape work?
    I'm pretty sure I sealed mine with a single layer of Stans 25mm tapes. Seems to work alright.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I'm doing that exact same build, with dt240 oversize in front, and dt240 in back.

What spoke length did you use for all of them? Are you happy with that length?

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by flyxaos View Post
    I'm doing that exact same build, with dt240 oversize in front, and dt240 in back.

What spoke length did you use for all of them? Are you happy with that length?
    I used 259mm for front disk side and 260mm for the rest of the spokes. That was what I calculated using 537 erd and the dt swiss spoke calculator. Length was perfect. After the wheels were tensioned almost all the spoke threads came to the bottom of the nipple driver slot or whith in a thread. My hubs are dt swiss 240 12x142 rear and a 20mm thru axle OS 240 in the front. They were easier to build and true compared to the flows I built last year.
    Last edited by fuenstock; 02-06-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Lightly salted
    Few pictures of the built up wheels with the stickers removed. Stickers came off clean very easy. Weight is without rim tape of valve stems.
    Wtb i23 rims
    dt swiss comp spokes
    dt swiss brass nipples silver
    dt swiss 240s OS 20mm front hub
    dt swiss 240s 12x142 rear hub

mtbr member
    Wish they made this rim in a 36 model for the rear. I can normally get away with 32/32 but prefer 36 out back when possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    fuenstock, i also used 25 mm tape, cuz the lbs was out of 28 mm. So far no problems after 7 months.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

Found a good deal on the i23. These are am wheels and I only ride xc. I am 220lbs. Would these be overkill for xc and would I be happier with the i19?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Found a good deal on the i23. These are am wheels and I only ride xc. I am 220lbs. Would these be overkill for xc and would I be happier with the i19?

I've always kind of figured that race gear was too light for Clydes. Trail gear was effectively race gear for Clydes. And that AM gear amounts to Trail gear for Clydes.

I'd go with the 23's. The wider bead set presents a nicer tread-print to the dirt and ends up being less flexy.

Lightly salted

The i19 is pretty narrow, I would only get those if I was planing of running 2.1 or smaller xc tires. The i23 would be better for 2.2 and larger tires. At your weight I would pick the i23 over i19 unless it was a race wheelset that had to be as light as possible.

meow, meow.
    +1 for i23 over i19. You'll hardly notice the weight. I'd even run them with 2.0" if I was racing.

mtbr member
    Another vote for going i23 over i19 unless they were going to be race specific with a 2.1 or smaller tire on them.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input.

Does this look like a good deal? Also how do you know if you could use 15mm thru axle? I am putting these on a Trek Cobia with the stock Recon shock.

WTB Frequency I23 29er Tubeless Mountain Bike Wheelset SRAM x9 Hub 6 Bolt Disc | eBay

WTB Frequency I23 29er Mountain Wheelset SRAM x9 15mm thru Axle Front Hub 6 Bolt | eBay

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input.

Does this look like a good deal? Also how do you know if you could use 15mm thru axle? I am putting these on a Trek Cobia with the stock Recon shock.

WTB Frequency I23 29er Tubeless Mountain Bike Wheelset SRAM x9 Hub 6 Bolt Disc | eBay

WTB Frequency I23 29er Mountain Wheelset SRAM x9 15mm thru Axle Front Hub 6 Bolt | eBay
    The specs of the fork will dictate what type of axle/skewer setup you will need. I'm pretty sure the Recon on the Cobia is standard Quick Release which would make a 15mm thru axle not work. Most hubs are pretty easily converted though. I would bring bike to LBS and they'll help you or ask the people you're considering purchasing from the technical questions.
    Looking at the pictures of the hubs on the two ads on the ebay ads should give you your answer on what type of skewer/axle system you have. I'm guessing you have the the type in the first ad.

mtbr member
    Laced up some King hubs, dt comp spokes and i23's yesterday. They feel pretty burly. Hoping to get a ride on them today.

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-dsc_0882.jpg

Bicycle Addict
    I hope to get a ride on these soon. I am waiting for a new frame to put them on. They feel pretty solid and aren't as heavy as I thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-imag0648.jpg  

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims-imag0650.jpg  

Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member

WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

Ordered a set today. Can't wait to try them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Does anyone know maximum rider weight and maximum tire pressure for i19 and i23?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sergey_1987 View Post
    Does anyone know maximum rider weight and maximum tire pressure for i19 and i23?
    I can't imagine a rim this burly having a max rider weight, it's going to be more about quality of the person doing the wheel build and perhaps using stronger spokes in lacing them up. Someone else mentioned that they don't make this rim in a 36 hole drilling so if your a superclyde, that isn't an option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thank you. So, front wheel (on suspension fork) laced on i19, DT revolution spokes and Syncros hub will be ok for non-agressive riding (city and light XC without drops) for a 200lbs person? Also if I set 622*32 tire at 70psi wouldn't I damage the i19 rim?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sergey_1987 View Post
    Thank you. So, front wheel (on suspension fork) laced on i19, DT revolution spokes and Syncros hub will be ok for non-agressive riding (city and light XC without drops) for a 200lbs person? Also if I set 622*32 tire at 70psi wouldn't I damage the i19 rim?
    Why would you want to run that much pressure? I'm 250lbs and even when I'm riding out on the streets I only take it up to about 45-50psi max?

At 200lbs you can ride on pretty much any mtb rim you want for the riding style you mention, just dont try to ride anything with too low of spoke count.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    Why would you want to run that much pressure? I'm 250lbs and even when I'm riding out on the streets I only take it up to about 45-50psi max?
    I was wondering if the rim is going to explode under 70psi pressure. I pump that because I use narrow semi-slick (Nokian Ravagozzi Cross S 622*30) with 65-90psi recommended inflation perssure. For XC I use Maxxis Aspen 29*2.25 at 30-50psi.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast