Thread: WTB Exiwolf 2.3

Just Ride

WTB Exiwolf 2.3

Reading through the reviews and most people say it sheds mud well but then go on to say they only run it on the rear. I was thinking of picking up a pair of these. How are they on the front? For mud/sand specifically. I imagine they do well on hardpack as well.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

max_29
    i ran both front and rear. mine were 29ers
    those tires are OK for just about any conditions + they have strong sidewalls
    downside - on a heavier side and roll slow.

Attack Position
    I'm running one on the front and it's not too bad. After a handful of rides on it my complaint would be in low speed technical areas, making sharper turns. In faster carvier turns it has been fine.

It rolls faster and is lighter than the Nevegal I had on the front previously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've been running the 26x2.3 on the front for a little over a year now and I've been very happy with it. I've had it in everything from muddy to sand it has done well. I don't have experience with Nevegals or more aggressive tires of the like, but it does not seem to do as well as those in the mud. Dry, sandy, loose over hard- it has done surprisingly well. Very good braking traction and likes to be laid over on the side knobs. Playing around with tire pressures (given I'm on the heavier side @230lbs- with tubes) it does best around 34psi. Too low and it gets squirmy under hard braking and the side knobs lose some of their edge.

Mountain Man Dan
    I"m running 2.1's front and rear, one of the grippiest tires I've ever ridden. I'm running the 120tpi Race tire, with the DNA compound.

It wears pretty fast. Not the lightest, but very very grippy! I have no complaints about it on the front and turning, it hasn't washed out, the side lugs dig deep in the loamy forest stuff.

I agree, it brakes VERY well, and leaves a rut behind when you do skid.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

Just Ride
    I guess it doesn't have to be great in the mud. The fact that it sheds mud at all is a vast improvement over my SB8s. Which are great tires on hardpack, but nothing else. I'm more interested in how they work on hardpack and sand/lose soil than anything, now that I think about it. Good to know these are grippy tires! For $25 a piece why not give em a shot? Getting some things from amazon and figure I'd throw these on the order as well.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

A Baker St. Muse
    I just changed out my rear Exiwolf for an Ardent. The Exi was getting old, probably 3 seasons now, and I was starting to have issues with grip when going up hills with loose surfaces. It's a great tire when new though, I'd buy them again for sure. I only really changed so I could try out something else.

I'll also agree with the pressure - I used to run them kinda low on my hardtail, in the 20s. They work better in the 30s though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have run these for a few years now and they are getting towards replacement time. I don;t end up in a lot of mud here but they don't pack up. Grip in the rear climbing is good but not super, need to be conscious of weight balance.

Absolutely love em in the corners though, just great grip and more than that, very predictable when they do slide out a little. They will hook right back up without complaint and keep you rolling. Never had a tire that slid and then grabbed again so well, and certainly not saying they slide out easily.

Not the lightest but not the heaviest, maybe not the greatest rolling tire but not terrible either. All around a very good tire for handling a variety of conditions, better at harder stuff but it will hang OK in the mud.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    And yeah, they do need 30 plus or they get squirmy, the sidewalls aren't super stiff which helps traction and feel but does mean you need to run a little higher pressure. I am 175 give or take and generally run 35, but I prefer higher pressure in any case.

Mountain Man Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodder69 View Post
    I have run these for a few years now and they are getting towards replacement time. I don;t end up in a lot of mud here but they don't pack up. Grip in the rear climbing is good but not super, need to be conscious of weight balance.

Absolutely love em in the corners though, just great grip and more than that, very predictable when they do slide out a little. They will hook right back up without complaint and keep you rolling. Never had a tire that slid and then grabbed again so well, and certainly not saying they slide out easily.

Not the lightest but not the heaviest, maybe not the greatest rolling tire but not terrible either. All around a very good tire for handling a variety of conditions, better at harder stuff but it will hang OK in the mud.
    I found it to be the best climbing tire out there! The thing doesn't spin or slip!
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

Dianetics Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35 View Post
    I found it to be the best climbing tire out there! The thing doesn't spin or slip!
    i like 'em too for the rear...I run them backwards and they seem to bite a bit better....wish they lasted a bit longer though....

mtbr member
    I had no problems with the 29x2.3s front and rear. A good all around tire. Mine were the wire bead so they were HEAVY.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT