Big Paws on a Puppy!!

WTB Dual Duty XC vs. Sun Rhyno Lite.....

....which would you choose and why? Machined sidewalls on both. Rims to be built up into a V-brake specific wheelset. Is one rim better than the other or are they two peas in a pod.

I forgot to mention after reading Hardtailforever's post below that I am asking about the 26" version but that's very good feedback none the less.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ratman; 02-13-2007 at 04:38 PM.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    I don't know about the 26" version, but the 700c/29" version of the WTB Dual Duty sucks. Wheels wouldn't stay true, so I rebuilt them with better spokes and super even, high tension, but nothing helped. I had them on my commuter until I destroyed them both. They're not that light, but the durability and stiffness isn't good either, so I don't see the payoff. The Sun Rhinolites are a much stronger, much wider, much stiffer rim that will actually hold up. My only caveat with the Suns is that the braking surface isn't as good for rim brakes, but it's not terrible either. And what good is a braking surface if the wheels won't stay true because the rims keep getting damaged?
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    I have had good luck with the Dual Duty XC. The Rhyno lite is going to be stronger but they are quite a bit heavier also. And wider but thats not a bad thing.

just along for the ride
    Rynos will be stronger but a real PITA to mount tires and god forbid you get a flat on the trails you better hope you packed the park steel tire levers. I use kool stop pads on the rynos and they modulate well.

EastBaySteez
    Not the same but I run wtb dual duty FR rims on my 7point. I love them, they have taken direct hit head on. (wasnt paying attention and hit a car at a reg light, no comments please ) Im not sure about the XC dual duty but I know they are build very similarly.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

dude with orange car
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Rynos will be stronger but a real PITA to mount tires and god forbid you get a flat on the trails you better hope you packed the park steel tire levers. I use kool stop pads on the rynos and they modulate well.
    Yup, the Suns make it hard to get the tires on. I've found that Panaracer tires are bigger than most and make it reasonably easy to fix a flat, so that's what I use on my bike with the Suns. I broke many a plastic tire lever with other brands of tires.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

EastBaySteez
    I just remembered that I had suns on my HT awhile back. I didnt like them that much, real flexy and needed constant truing. I'd run away from them.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman
    ....which would you choose and why? Machined sidewalls on both. Rims to be built up into a V-brake specific wheelset. Is one rim better than the other or are they two peas in a pod.

I forgot to mention after reading Hardtailforever's post below that I am asking about the 26" version but that's very good feedback none the less.

Thanks
    The WTB Dual Duty FR is a better comparison to the Rhyno. About the same width and weight.

I would pick either of the WTB DD XC or FR simply because of the tire mounting issues with the Rhyno.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common