mtbr member

WTB Bronson Race (not TCS) run ghetto tubeless?

Anyone out there in MTBR Land do it? How does it work?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I run the 26x2.3 Bronson Race on Mavic Crossmax SL Disc UST rims and they seal great with about 2 oz. of Stans. Both the WTB Mutano Race and Bronson Race version tires seal well on the Mavic UST rims. I have yet to burp one or cut a sidewall in the rocky SoCal desert where I ride. I weigh about 155lbs and run 25lbs in the front and 28 in the rear. You might list your rim to get more specific responses. I would imagine that it will still work on non-UST rims.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that. My rims are Spinnergy Enduros and WTB Mutano Races work really good on them in Ghetto with Caffe Latex.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was using Stan's tape and liquid to run a Bronson Race WTB 2.2 (non-TCS) on a 29er WTB Frequency i23 UST front rim for a while.

On one ride, it burped at one point. I pumped it up to an standard single track pressure. About an hour later into the ride, the tire suddenly blew off the rim.

WTB sent me a TCS version for free (very cool of them), and I have been running that tire with no problems on the same rim for quite a while. (Love these i23 rims, BTW.)

My guess is, it was just a bad tire/rim combo to run as a ghetto tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I ran the 29x2.2 Bronson Race tubeless. They fit very loosely on the rims, so it was tough to get the bead to seat, but once seated they worked okay tubeless but not great. I did burp the front tire a few times.

Also, for me, the Race version just wasn't durable enough in the rocky terrain I ride. I cut the sidewall of the rear tire (twice), and the side knobs got really torn up.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think my narrow Mavic Crossmax rim may keep the sidewalls of a 2.3 more protected because the sidewalls aren't as far out as on a wider rim or with a smaller tire. A 2.2 or smaller tire would have more exposed sidewalls. I have heard of a few guys tearing off side knobs of the Bronson on another thread. This has never happened to me. If the Mutano fits well on your rim, the Bronson should be okay because I have found both the 2.4 Mutano Race and 2.3 Bronson Race to fit about the same.

mtbr member
    6 months on a 2.3 Bronson Race, Enve AM, no problem. (The previous Cont. TK lasted a week, and didn't corner as well anyway.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have had no issues with premature wear or sidewall problems with my TCS Bronson Race 2.2.