TRANCER

WTB Bronson 2.1 ???

I'm in the market to try out some new tires. I am very interested in the WTB Bronson's in 2.1. Anyone on here have any personal experience with these? There are no reviews on these anywhere. Only on the 2.3 i think. I'd like to know how they are as a rear tire and as a front. And please specify what kind of terrain you are using them on. Thanks in advance
    Ride

TRANCER
    Bump
    Ride

I'm with stupid
    I have only run the 2.3 on the rear. Hope someone can chime in about the 2.1 for you.

mtbr member
    Bump. I am also interested in the 2.1 bronson.

TRANCER
    All the hype behind these before they came out and no one's tried them?
    Ride

NedwannaB
    Yah and pretty much all I've seen in shops are the 2.3's.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My friend Kenny is racing the 2.1s in Super Ds to success. They roll very well, way better than the Nevegal-like pattern would suggest. Good for softer soils as the softer side knobs will grip very well, but get too soft and squirmy on the hard stuff. It was designed for the PNW. 2.3s are a different best and much heavier. I've got some that I'm saving for winter riding.

NedwannaB

I assume its Ibis Kenny....

Quote Originally Posted by obaby View Post
    My friend Kenny is racing the 2.1s in Super Ds to success. They roll very well, way better than the Nevegal-like pattern would suggest. Good for softer soils as the softer side knobs will grip very well, but get too soft and squirmy on the hard stuff. It was designed for the PNW. 2.3s are a different best and much heavier. I've got some that I'm saving for winter riding.
    .... . I imagine he does well on just about any tire!

Talking to one of the young guns at the shop I go to, who rides with some of the WTB group, he's said the same thing about the 2.1 now that the soil has hardened up. He's since pulled it off the back, moved the 2.3 to the rr and running the 2.3 TCS WW up front with success. I might grab a 2.1 and save it for when the soil starts softening later in the year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For sure, Kenny is a fit and very talented racer. But those WTB guys geek out hard on their tire selection, and it is all about going faster. I think the 2.1 WW or Wolverine would be ideal dry-conditions and then 2.1 Bronsons for wetter, softer conditions. I've found the 2.4 Mutano to be an amazing all-rounder, but that's on my trail bike. In general I think they've done a great job developing the TCS system and I look forward to rolling the 2.1 Bronsons myself.

NedwannaB
    Yah, I met Ken and his lovely wife when they were making the rounds at the shop I frequent. They had a Stryker xc wheelset with the 2.1's on. Super light setup!! Then ran across them later, well Jen anyway, while riding up in Annadel. Ken was off with some of the locals and I helped her orient the trail map.

I've been predominantly a WTB tire rider for awhile. Trying the 650 scene now so a couple other brands have come into the mix. So if the conversion doest work out on the 650 trailbike, its Bronson/WW or Mutano/WW.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I stumbled across this thread doing some research about the Bronson tire. I have recently purchased a Salsa El Mariachi 29er steel frame (2011) which comes with these tires stock. I have been riding the bike at Murphy Hanerhan Park ( tight singletrack) close to my home (Minnesota) and it has been quite dry here lately. I have to agree with earlier posters. They probably are better tires for wet and soft conditions but I find them to not hold the trail that well in what I am riding now. I have been encountering roots, rocks, climbs, descents and real tight twistly heavily treed trails and so far they haven't handled these trails that good. I took my old 26 inch old school (hardtail/nose) Fisher Supercal out there tonight and I was in much more control. I actually use that bike more for the bike paths and have Ritchey Speedmax tires on it and in these conditions being so dry ,it cornered and handled great. I think the Bronsons have there place but for the riding I am doing for now they are not working. I may look into a bit less aggressive tire for now. Maybe a Geax AKA or Kenda smallblock 8.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Update: I went tubeless on the Bronsons and I will try them this way first beofre switching them out. The tires people seem to like though are the Conti Race Kings and the Bontrager XR1's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 90supercal View Post
    The tires people seem to like though are the Conti Race Kings and the Bontrager XR1's.
    Um. Let's talk apples to apples here. The two tires you mention are in an entirely different category.

The Bronsons were designed for the loamy, soft conditions generally encountered in the Pacific Northwest. They roll fast but have a softer side knob which can be less desirable in very hard surface conditions. For me they are a great winter conditions tire. For harder conditions the Weirwolfs are the best, and I'd like to try the Wolverines. The Mutano 2.4s are on my bike right now and are superb all-around.

Quote Originally Posted by 90supercal View Post
    I have been encountering roots, rocks, climbs, descents and real tight twistly heavily treed trails
    Those conditions sound an awful lot like general mountain biking to me. Good luck with the Race Kings out there. Let us know what you find out.
    Last edited by obaby; 09-21-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: politeness

TRANCER
    Wow i had given up on this thread and now i come on and finally see some good info. Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think ill buy these next year when the wet weather starts again. Since its ending now in South Fla. For now i got the Ritchey Z-max tires
    Ride

NedwannaB
    Yeah, I'm thinking of getting one up front on my 29r for my winter time SS'ing. Which may come sooner here in NorCal then yours in Fla.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I really like my Bronson's in the wet, loose conditions.

As others have mentioned, they are not too comfortable in hard packed corners and their dry, hard pack performance is nothing to write home about.

I think the next tire I will try will be the Ignitor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've had good success with my 2.1 bronson (rear only) in mostly dry conditions so far. They do really well in slower moving technical terrain where the soft side lugs really help grip on rocks and roots. They don't seem fast but don't seem slow either, just right. I've been really happy with durability so far as I have ridden several trails recently with very sharp rocks and have not noticed any cuts or abrasion.