mtbr member
    Aug 2006

would this be an upgrade?

currently running mavic crossmax st (2008) that came with my bike. would going to hope 2 with arch hoops be considered an upgrade?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Maybe by some. I'd think of it as a downgrade (losing UST). Hope hubs are nice, but not amazing. The rim won't be as good, but you will lose the proprietary spokes (has that been a problem for you?). Maybe it's a step sideways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    thanks epic! i've been saving for some new wheels and a set came up for a decent price. just wanted to know if i should pull the trigger or not. looks like i'll continue saving my pennies.

mtbr member
    The hope hubs are worlds better than mavics hubs. They're some of the best, if you dont consider their low engagement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The hope hubs are worlds better than mavics hubs. They're some of the best, if you dont consider their low engagement.
    This^^^^...plus the 2008 Crossmax ST uses the older FTS-X two pawl system so the Hope actually has a higher engagement then the OP's current system.

The Arch will work fine with Tubeless Ready and UST tires with sealant, which most people run anyway on UST.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    cool. thanks for the info guys. the wheelset is going for $275 right now. should i pull the trig? and what is the current engagement on my crossmax?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blindman22 View Post
    cool. thanks for the info guys. the wheelset is going for $275 right now. should i pull the trig? and what is the current engagement on my crossmax?
    It's either 16 or 18...I can't remember but it is only two pawl and there are only two bearings in the Mavic hub (the freehub body actually rotates on a bushing). The Hope hubs use five bearings in the rear hub and is four pawl engagement with 24 points...very solid.
    Last edited by Bike Whisperer; 08-27-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks bw

Sent from my MB870 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2