mtbr member

Woodman Bill-LTC hubs any good?

So I'm trying to spec a budget-ish sub 2k 29er wheelset and was looking for feedback on these hubs.

I'm a bit of a clyde (200lbs) so I'm trying to stay away from aluminum freehub bodies as I think I'd destroy them in no time. I was thinking of going with M756 XT hubs but then I came across the Woodman hubs. They are lighter than the XTs, have sealed cartridge bearings and they'e cheaper to boot.

Any opinions or experiences with these hubs? What's the engagement like? Freehub strength? TIA!

http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/pm-...disc-hubs.aspx

Former Bike Wrench
    The LTC hubs are just a Formula style cartridge bearing hub. Steel axle and Shimano style freehub body with 16 poe in all likelihood.

You might look at either the M665 (SLX) or M629 ("29er specific", taller flanges) hubs from Shimano. They both use the "29er" heavy duty 32 poe freehub body. They are center-lock, but there are several adapters that work just fine. I'm 225lbs and have been running a SLX for a few months now with no issues and the 32 poe can be felt over a 16 or 18 poe freehub body. Best of all the rear hub cost $40!

eBiker
    I had an LTC a while back. Ran it geared for a year or two, then SS for a year or two.

It was reliable for me. After about year 2 or 3 I thought I felt skipping, so I ordered a new freehub through the LBS for $25 and they stuck it on. It continued to run well.

I ran 34/16 on my SS with the hub and it is now my FR park wheelset so I would call it strong.

P

mtbr member
    I have one on my bike. I've gotten about 3 years out of it. The free hub was sloppy loose from day 1. The engagement is unimpressive. The weight is the same as an XT hub. I have always gotten some of the bounce when you pedal fast and stop where the free hub sticks a little before ratcheting. I would buy an XT hub over the woodman.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!