mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Wire Bead = Tubeless

A lot of Maxxis tires are listed as a wire bead, but in the specs it does not say if it's tube or tubeless.

Are all wire bead tires for use with tubes?

And, are all folding bead tires tubeless?

no trees are safe
    Nope and nope.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    Nope and nope.
    Well, I have yet to see any manufacturer's web site list a wire bead as tubeless compatible.

But, many foldable beads are listed, specifically as UST. Many foldable bead tires also do not say one way or the other.

Man, I didn't know finding the perfect set of tires would take so long.

no trees are safe
    If a tyre isn't specified as TLR (tubeless ready) or UST (or any other marketing name for it) it generally means that it's meant for a traditional installation with a tube. That doesn't mean that it 100% wont work with a tubeless setup, it just means that it most likely isn't designed for that kind of use and its a hit or miss if it will work reliably. Some brands like Stan's No tubes specify in using non-tubeless tyres in tubeless setups with sealant.

Generally UST/ TLR setups are more reliable than ghetto experiments.

Are you just curious about tyre specs. or are you looking for something for your ride?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    If a tyre isn't specified as TLR (tubeless ready) or UST (or any other marketing name for it) it generally means that it's meant for a traditional installation with a tube. That doesn't mean that it 100% wont work with a tubeless setup, it just means that it most likely isn't designed for that kind of use and its a hit or miss if it will work reliably. Some brands like Stan's No tubes specify in using non-tubeless tyres in tubeless setups with sealant.

Generally UST/ TLR setups are more reliable than ghetto experiments.

Are you just curious about tyre specs. or are you looking for something for your ride?
    Both, I'm looking to fit the widest UST tire I can on my hardtail and on my Fox shock. I do have Mavic UST rims, so I'm not looking to use any sealant, duct tape or glue sticks.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bill4d View Post
    Well, I have yet to see any manufacturer's web site list a wire bead as tubeless compatible.

But, many foldable beads are listed, specifically as UST. Many foldable bead tires also do not say one way or the other.

Man, I didn't know finding the perfect set of tires would take so long.

There are very few tubeless wire bead tires.

If a tire is not marked as "Tubeless", "UST", or "Tubeless Ready" it is designed for use only with inner tubes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by bill4d View Post
    Both, I'm looking to fit the widest UST tire I can on my hardtail and on my Fox shock. I do have Mavic UST rims, so I'm not looking to use any sealant, duct tape or glue sticks.
    The biggest current UST tire I know of is the Conti Trail King 2.4 Tubeless
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Some helpful replies here. I'm kinda in the same boat. Recently got a UST wheelset but all 4 sets of tires I have aren't UST, nor are they tubeless-ready. Don't want to go the sealant / tape route either. My question now is, is it ok to run with a tube setup initially, then switch later to tubeless, without having any negative effect on the rims? Thanks!

no trees are safe
    Derp. wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngt View Post
    Some helpful replies here. I'm kinda in the same boat. Recently got a UST wheelset but all 4 sets of tires I have aren't UST, nor are they tubeless-ready. Don't want to go the sealant / tape route either. My question now is, is it ok to run with a tube setup initially, then switch later to tubeless, without having any negative effect on the rims? Thanks!
    Tubes are just fine.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Awesome Thanks again guys!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The biggest current UST tire I know of is the Conti Trail King 2.4 Tubeless
    Maxxis lists at least 2 models as a larger size.

The Minion DHF and DHR are both listed as 2.5 and available in UST.