Grip it and rip it.

Winter all round tire for xc in UK and Irish conditions? (all terrain)

Hi im looking for a winter all round xc tire. At the moment i have a Maxxis Medusa on the rear and a Pananracer Trailraker on the front which was amazing when conditions were very muddy, but it is a bad set up for roots and wet rocks or leaves, which we also get a lot of.
    The only other tires i have are Maxxis Larrsenns which i use for racing so i would like something between these two.
    Thanks for any replies! Cheers.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I, along with a lot of other local guys, use the Maxxis Advantage (2.25). I use it on the rear of my HT when the conditions are wet/damp. Personally, I find that they don't work too well when the going gets very muddy as they start to slip and don't clear too well. They are high volume and can be run with lower pressures. They grip well enough on wet roots which we have a lot of. Some of the other guys use it front and rear, with good results but personally I don't like it on the front.

I've just bought a Medusa 2.1 eXCeption to run on the rear in really muddy conditions.
    I've also used a Nobby Nic 2.1 on the rear and that has worked well on the wet roots, rocks and in the mud (contrary to what other people may have said) but without the snakeskin sidewall protection it is a little bit fragile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Maxxis Advantage 2.1 or the Ardent 2.25's are they look fast rolling and they'll do most conditions on the rear.

Front Bonty ACX 2.2 is quite a good all condition tyre, the Mud X is supposed to be a great tyre also smaller though.

Is there a 26" version of the 29" Bonty 29-3 ?? if so get that in 29-3 format it's my fav front tyre of all time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not really sure what you mean by a ' winter all round tire for xc in UK' as by my experience this means mud, mud and more mud. Yes, I could be riding in Afan, for example, where there isn't much mud and the trails are fairly rocky, but then I would use the same tire as in the summer. So basically, if that is not where I'm riding there will be plenty of mud. And it is for that reason that I keep my XC bike (Giant Anthem Advanced) with mud tires and my trail bike (Mongoose Teocali Super) with trail tires :-)
    For XC I use Schwalbe's Black Shark Mud 2.1 front, and Panaracers Fire Mud Pro 1.8 rear. I have both tubeless on a Mavic 819 with Stan's rim strip + latex at around 30PSI (I weight 15st), and they are absolutely great!! Low rolling resistance and excellent performance in the wet! Will change for something else only when the singletracks are drier again...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride!
    Hi im looking for a winter all round xc tire. At the moment i have a Maxxis Medusa on the rear and a Pananracer Trailraker on the front which was amazing when conditions were very muddy, but it is a bad set up for roots and wet rocks or leaves, which we also get a lot of.
    The only other tires i have are Maxxis Larrsenns which i use for racing so i would like something between these two.
    Thanks for any replies! Cheers.
    Bonty Mud X 2.00.

I have recommended it to many and they have reported good results from WEsTern Oregon to Scotland.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    As I like to talk by experience, I went out and bought the Mud X to compare with the Panaracer Fire Mud Pro.
    Good! They are both good!
    I would still recommend the Fire Mud if the mud is sticky (like clay) as I think it clears slightly better.
    So I would go for the Mud X for general UK winter muddy conditions and Fire Mud when the mud is really really bad :-)
    Last edited by PedroC; 01-24-2010 at 04:09 PM.