yohyatt
    Mar 2009

Will UST work "well" with Stan's Flow?

I called schwalbe and was asking them about their UST Nobby Nic, and the salesguy on the phone was adamant about running a true UST bead/tire on stans rims and highler recommended to not do it.

He said something about the bead has a different shape and wouldn't stay on the rim (which has a differnt shape - something like putting a square peg into a round whole etc.)

I just got a 2.4 mountain king protection for my girlfriend - and this tire looks nice - and I'm thinking that for only 150 grams more - that tire would be a nice rear tire for my AM bike - since the fat albert 2.4 kept getting whole in it.

Anyone know if a continental UST would stay on the rim and not pop off any easier than a non ust tire on stans rims?

mtbr member
    You may have difficulty mounting a UST tire bead on a Flow rim, since the rim bead seat is a larger diameter than the tire bead, and because UST tire beads are very difficult to stretch.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Flow uses the first generation of BST bead shape. Other than tires sometimes being a bit tight fitting, I have had zero issues with UST spec Tubeless Ready tires working on the first generation Stans rims. The new Stans (Crest, Arch EX) have a much reduced bead hook and an even larger diameter which could certainly be an issue.

g3h6o3
    I used Schwalbes tubeless ready fine of Flows. Very tight bead fit, inflated easily and never burped.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Call back and ask him to explain the difference between their UST bead profile and the bead profile on their "Tubeless Ready" tires. This is the second time someone has posted after speaking to Schwalbe, they have been told the profile is different. I think they have someone working there who has limited product knowledge and has been told that UST tires are for UST rims.

As far as I know and for years have worked on the premise that TLR tires have the same bead as a UST tire. TLR tires have a lighter standard non-sealed casing and therefore require sealant. I have frequently and successfully used TLR tires on UST rims. Of course with sealant. Likewise if you use a UST tire on a Flow rim you will probably need to use sealant as the rim is not airtight. I only use TLR tires on my Flow rims and they work very well. I will not use a non-tubeless tire though.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I have Panaracer Fire XC Pro USTs on my flows (with sealant); they work fine.