The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

New question here. Will Hope Hoops support 200lb aggro rider?

I've been looking at hope hoops, either with Stans Flow or Mavic 721 rim
    vs
    custom wheelset.

I weigh a pretty solid 200lbs and I am not a finesse rider. I am pedaling a Specialized Enduro (2010) and I am trashing the wheels and pretty regularly breaking spokes, especially on the rear. Not really jumping or hitting big drops, but I pound through some rough and rocky terrain.

Basically, how well would these wheels hold up? I like the price, but I don't want to pay for another set of wheels that I am just going to destroy.

mtbr member
    I sure hope so. I'm a little heavier than yourself and just bought the Hope Hoop Pro2/Mavic EX721 combo from wiggle.co.uk. This wheelset is downhill rated, yet fairly light for its category, so I'm sure they will be more wheel than I need.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am about 235 with gear and have hope hoops for around a year r more now. I did taco the front wheel , but I kinda think it was more my fault and not sure any wheel would have held up entirely. Otherwise they have been rock solid and have not need to be trued. The front wheel was fine until I taco'd it. I had it rebuilt by a LBS withthe same model rim (5.1d) and reused the hub (obviuosly).

I would not consider myself a finess rider either.

mtbr member
    32 DT comp spokes and a Mavic 721 will survive most things.

If you crash it hard enough they'll bend, but you're not going to taco a 721 without crashing first.

#PS: I'm about 190 geared up and have been riding Hope Hoops/521 wheels since June, no damage so far and plenty of rocks.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I would prefer the Flow rims for the ease of tubeless, but I don't think they are quite as strong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I would have gotten the flows, but at the time I got mine it was 5.1 or 4.2 only. On a side note the 5.1's have been great set up tubless with stans strips and sealant since I bought them.

Accordng to my ridding buddy that was behind me I took about a 5 foot to flat on sunday and the wheels are true as can be.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    215lbs here on Hope/Flows, no probs whatsoever,

plenty of chatter around about the 12mm axle snapping when run with maxilite though, there new axle kit which is retro fittable is supposed to address the issue (abiet for a small weight penalty)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s
    I would prefer the Flow rims for the ease of tubeless, but I don't think they are quite as strong.
    Based on your description, you would be better off with the 721s. They are really bomber.

You will want to have a good shop retention your wheels after they are broken in. The Hope Hoops behave like a hand built wheel in that regard.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity
    You will want to have a good shop retention your wheels after they are broken in. The Hope Hoops behave like a hand built wheel in that regard.
    a crappy hand-built wheel maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    a crappy hand-built wheel maybe.
    You're wrong. Build quality is quite good actually.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

transmitter~receiver
    You're wrong. Build quality is quite good actually.
    not if they need tuning up after X number of miles it's not... it's an indication that stress relief wasn't done or wasn't done well, which is an indicator of poor build quality.

mtbr member
    You are such a fuggin blowhard. I didn't say they would need to be trued.

All wheels bed in. All of them.
    - Albert Einstein

transmitter~receiver
    You are such a fuggin blowhard.
    sorry i ain't buying your misinformation. call it what you want.
    I didn't say they would need to be trued.
    i didn't say that either... you said "retensioning" i said "tuning up." what are you splitting hairs over?
    All wheels bed in. All of them.
    you're right. in a well-built wheel this happens during the stress relief process. if you don't do that or do a crappy job, it happens while you ride, which necessitates "work on the wheels" or whatever you want to call it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    it's an indication that stress relief wasn't done or wasn't done well, which is an indicator of poor build quality.
    Well MF, my set hasn't needed re-tensioning. I check them fairly regularly anyway but so far so good.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    Well MF, my set hasn't needed re-tensioning. I check them fairly regularly anyway but so far so good.
    then they were probably built well. my wheels don't ever need it either.

i think you may have meant this comment for DJ Giggity, who thinks that any handbuilt wheel will need retensioning after being broken in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a rear 12 TA but with the standard maxle. Not the light tapered version. Super solid with my 20 TA revelation up front. Oh yeah, that is how the big boys roll.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Alright. Thanks all.

I pulled the trigger on a set with Flows. I might regret it, but I am planning to rebuild my current hubs (which are OEM) with DH rims and heavy spokes so hopefully they won't get as beaten up as my current wheels (which are lighter).