mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Widest tire on the XR 4.1D ?

Hello all -

Just wondering how wide I can go on the 4.1d? I would like to go for a 2.35 maxxis ignitor but want to make sure it will work before i order. Also, could it go to 2.5" if I wanted? Not sure how this is determined. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I use a 2.7 nevegal on the front rim for downhilling works great.2.5 on the back and then back to 2.1 for cross country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

You can use as wide a tire...

as will stay on the rim. I've seen 3" tires used on 17mm wide rims with no problems. The key though is not so much as what will fit as to what it does to the performance of the tire. Narrower rims with wider tires tend to change the profile of the tire tread and the relationship of the tread blocks to the trail surface. As an example, I've used 2.3 Nevegals on my Mavic 719 rims (19mm wide bead to bead), and 2.1 Nevies on the same rim. The 2.1 hooks up and corners better than the 2.3. The reason being is the width of the 2.3 when coupled with that rim causes a rounding of the tread profile of the tire. The more severe arc of the tread moves the transition and cornering knobs further away from the trail surface. This causes more space between the center blocks and the transition knobs. It creates an artifical "no man's land" between the two. This can give a kind of vague feeling in light to moderate lean situations. In a hard lean they were fine though. The 2.1's on the other hand are perfect. This can be compensated for to some extent by running a bit lower tire pressures if you can without pinch flatting or dinging rims. It will depend allot on the tire tread design and the overall volume of the tire.

With that said, the Ignitor has a tread pattern that should lend itself well to use on narrower rims. The tread design isn't a straight block pattern like the Nevigal and some others. As far as going with a 2.3 on the 4.1d rim, no problem at all. Just make sure you sufficient frame and fork clearance and you'll be fine. Like I said, I've seen wider tires used on narrower rims than the 4.1 with good results.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"